DVD/Blu-ray Release

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Sometimes in the middle of a scene the colour balance will change, scenes were out out of order, there will be bars on the screen one second and then none the next, there are extra clips added, scenes were cut much shorter and then continued later which kills tension.
This reads like a joke. Sounds like they're lampooning people who don't understand the plot/understand the reason behind shifting aspect ratios.

Sometimes in the middle of a scene the colour balance will change, scenes were out out of order, there will be bars on the screen one second and then none the next, there are extra clips added, scenes were cut much shorter and then continued later which kills tension.

Review of the 4K release - all A+

Worth a read - goes into a lot of detail.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/item/dunkirk-uhd-bd

Conclusion:
Christopher Nolan has finally made his masterpiece. Dunkirk is extraordinary, one of the greatest war films of all time. But it’s not a traditional one. If you’re looking for a computer-enhanced panorama featuring thousands of CG ships and hundreds of thousands of digitally-generated soldiers, you’ll be disappointed. So too will history buffs expecting perfect historical accuracy or a large ensemble cast of generals on all sides of the conflict pushing tiny models around on maps with sticks. No, this is the most unexpected cinematic experience of all: a large-format World War II art film. Dunkirk can summed up best in three simple words: You. Are. There. Whether you purchase it alone or in Warner’s Christopher Nolan Collection 4K box set, it’s a reference 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray that is not to be missed.

I know it's the unpopular opinion, but I'm making a constant 2.20:1 aspect ratio Blu-ray disc for myself. Did the same for TDK, TDKR, and Interstellar.

However, the previous three were center-cropped, and left a few issues in some shots. I am going to go back and adjust-crop literally every single shot of every single film. It will be a long two-week project to do all four films, but my passion is equal to the task.

^i've thought about doing the same thing but preserving the oar for tdk

you are crazy guys hahahaha

kamelgunner wrote:you are crazy guys hahahaha
I just don't like the inconsistency. Plus, as someone was just saying that Hoytema has been a much better cinematographer than Pfister (and I agree), combined with Nolan's lesser experience during his Batman days his IMAX footage looks just much better in the latter two films. Everything looks more filmic, better set up, and in the case of Dunkirk many more handheld moments that blend perfectly with the 65mm IMAX shots.

I've said it before and I'll always maintain this thought: if Nolan had shot TDK and TDKR without any IMAX cameras, the shots that would have replaced the IMAX shots would have been much more creative. Maybe not better resolution and depth, but I think he would have done more with those shots. IMAX had really limited his creativity until Interstellar, and more especially Dunkirk.

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:I know it's the unpopular opinion, but I'm making a constant 2.20:1 aspect ratio Blu-ray disc for myself. Did the same for TDK, TDKR, and Interstellar.

However, the previous three were center-cropped, and left a few issues in some shots. I am going to go back and adjust-crop literally every single shot of every single film. It will be a long two-week project to do all four films, but my passion is equal to the task.
Using the digital code provided with my copy of Dunkirk, I got the movie on the Google Play Store, which is fully cropped to 2.35/1. It definitely doesn't look better, in my opinion.