DVD/Blu-ray Release

Christopher Nolan's action triller about the WWII story commonly known as The Miracle at Dunkirk. July 21, 2017.
Posts: 23552
Joined: June 2011
Bacon wrote:Can someone who got the Best Buy Steelbook in the USA tell me how well the adhesive disc hub on the DVD side of the case works? I won't be getting the Steelbook until Christmas but I want to know if I made the correct decision by getting that one (I wanted to protect my discs from being stacked).

Posts: 992
Joined: December 2016
Have you seen any unboxing videos of it? (Not sure if that helps you or not)

Posts: 23552
Joined: June 2011
AhmadAli95 wrote:Have you seen any unboxing videos of it? (Not sure if that helps you or not)
I know what it looks like. I'm wondering how it feels (how well the disc holds on).

Posts: 979
Joined: July 2011
Bacon wrote:I went to Bust Buy and got a steelbook and my grandmother got a normal copy. They had plenty in stock?
Are you talking about the individual release of Dunkirk? I'm talking about the whole Nolan 4K collection. NOBODY has it - at least not online. Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart... nothing. Amazon gave me a $30 credit for my next purchase just for asking why they don't have it yet, and said I'll have it by the 29th. But I'm supposed to have a get together Friday to watch Dunkirk, so now I might just have to buy a separate copy of that while I wait lol.

Edit: And now my Amazon order page keeps changing. First it said arriving Dec. 28th. Now it says arriving this Friday. What the hell lol

Posts: 23552
Joined: June 2011
My local Best Buy had plenty of individual Dunkirk copies but they also had a Nolan 4K set...

Posts: 979
Joined: July 2011
Damn, didn't know this thing would be so scarce to come by on release.

Posts: 1377
Joined: January 2016
Location: Norway
User of Interest wrote:
dormouse7 wrote:Forbes likes the Blu-ray (but has issues with shifting aspect ratios)
I hate when people complain about this.
'issues', wtf... They know nothing about Nolan? Or IMAX cameras?

User avatar
Law
Posts: 16179
Joined: July 2010
Location: Cooper Station
Bacon wrote:
Bacon wrote:Can someone who got the Best Buy Steelbook in the USA tell me how well the adhesive disc hub on the DVD side of the case works? I won't be getting the Steelbook until Christmas but I want to know if I made the correct decision by getting that one (I wanted to protect my discs from being stacked).
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking but I just bought it and it's fine

Posts: 578
Joined: May 2017
Location: San Bruno, CA
Sanchez wrote:
User of Interest wrote:
dormouse7 wrote:Forbes likes the Blu-ray (but has issues with shifting aspect ratios)
I hate when people complain about this.
'issues', wtf... They know nothing about Nolan? Or IMAX cameras?
Personally, I don't like them either. Not for a home video release. We don't have eight story tall buildings. Even if we did, we don't have the 1.44:1 aspect ratio or 18K resolution. The impact is severely lessened at home, never mind LieMAX screens, to the point that I would rather just have a constant aspect ratio at that point... unless you can either do it for the full film or for a full portion, like The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (plus, the way they transitioned was so boss).

Posts: 1377
Joined: January 2016
Location: Norway
I'm not talking about theaters here. I've seen Nolan films ten times more often at home, and I think the shifting aspect ratio truly adds to the immersion. And my friends all say the same thing whenever I watch them with someone.

There isn't a single IMAX theater in my country, so I've never had the pleasure to watch any of Nolan's movies in that format. All I've ever seen on the big screen is 2.20:1

Post Reply