Box Office

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Nolan is coming for his crown.

I still feel pretty good about my $65 million OW prediction.

MyCocaine wrote:Nolan is coming for his crown.

You think if Dunkirk turns out to be a modestly big hit (esp. considering its a non-franchise, WWII drama) it'll further help his chances come Oscar time?

It's still early and we have to keep calm but it looks like Dunkirk is going to be a massive success for our boy Nolan and WB.

Updated PostTrak stats shows a 64% turnout among men for Dunkirk who gave it a 90% positive score. Men under 25 at 18% of the crowd still love the Nolan film the most at 96% positive. Overall is a glowing 88% positive score. Caucasians repped 67% of the audience followed by Hispanics at 16%, 8% Asian and 7% African American. Last night, Imax screens made $1.6M at 402 auditoriums.
http://deadline.com/2017/07/dunkirk-val ... 202132847/

The Special Juan wrote:

It's still early and we have to keep calm but it looks like Dunkirk is going to be a massive success for our boy Nolan and WB.
Let's say hypothetically this movie turns out to be a big hit.
A WWII drama -- a big hit -- in the summer at a time when the only true hits seem to be franchise movies.

Does that mean Nolan will be given even MORE cart-blanche going forward to make whatever he wants?
Is he going to keep making big-budget arthouse blockbusters? :)

Oku
If that happens
Dunkirk proves that Mr. Nolan can do amazing silent/visual storytelling, and I want moar!!

okungnyo wrote:If that happens
Dunkirk proves that Mr. Nolan can do amazing silent/visual storytelling, and I want moar!!
What if Nolan realizes how much power he has and just goes "You know what? F*ck it - I'm going to use my next blockbuster-sized budge to make a massive, abstract film like "The Tree of Life" ? :lol:

If this makes more money opening weekend of Interstellar...that's really really good right?

Bacon wrote:If this makes more money opening weekend of Interstellar...that's really really good right?
I guess. It's in July though, not November. More competition against it, I suppose.

I think it's just really good considering the context. This is a non-American film and the trailers don't tell audiences that of a very creative story. To some people, it's just a war film, not like that space exploration.

Dunkirk is a non-American, non-linear war film with no clear protagonist and very little dialogue (as well as mediocre marketing until recently) with competition from a sci-fi space opera and two recent franchise films (Apes and Homecoming).

Interstellar was an original, and advertised as emotional, space exploration blockbuster with Matthew McC and Anne Hathaway with competition from Big Hero 6.

I honestly feel that Dunkirk making more money than Interstellar is a more surprising achievement tbh. Could be wrong.