Box Office

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
I'm sure Nolan's name will get people to the theaters, just as the names in the cast (Hardy, Styles of course, Murphy, Rylance for some older folks :)). But true, Dunkirk has some heavy competition. I think the only way for it to be a huge succes, is if it gets incredible reviews (I mean Saving Private Ryan good).

Word of Mouth will be incredibly important. If the movie is fantastic, people who weren't interested will give it a try. The only thing I'm not sure is the release date among all those summer blockbusters. Is it smart? I guess we shall see. The trailer has almost 12 million views in 4 days. That's pretty good, considering that Harry Styles hasn't even tweeted about it.

bold prediction: $800+ million

Darkline wrote:Word of Mouth will be incredibly important. If the movie is fantastic, people who weren't interested will give it a try. The only thing I'm not sure is the release date among all those summer blockbusters. Is it smart? I guess we shall see. The trailer has almost 12 million views in 4 days. That's pretty good, considering that Harry Styles hasn't even tweeted about it.
If we take the Facebook view count into account, that is 22 million views in 4 days in total, since the trailer posted on their FB page also got about 10 million in the first 4 days.

Cilogy wrote:bold prediction: $800+ million

very nice

Cilogy wrote:bold prediction: $800+ million

lmao

Word of mouth is key here. Like I mentioned before, this won't do nowhere near as good as Inception. Inception had phenomenal trailers that got people talking immediately. You could see the scope of the film perfectly and that it was something new and unique.

Here, it's not the case. The trailers had a lukewarm reaction, it's not an action movie or a sci-fi. So I don't see it having a huge opening weekend. A rather small one to be honest. If it doesn't have good reviews and a great buzz I don't see it reaching Interstellar numbers either. My prediction still stands - about 400 million overall (which is still a semi-optimistic version). I can see it reaching 600 if it's phenomenal but also as low as 250 if it's mediocre or his first critical failure.

It'll at least do good (50 mil opening), but if it gets major raves, and franchise fatigue sets in by July, well then it'll do great (75 mil). Then there's always the chance it catches the zeitgeist and Nolan has his third phenomenon.

Just like every good movie these days, it will flop in the US, but perform very well overseas.

There is no reason to think this will flop. When was the last time a Nolan film flopped? Interstellar was a brainy sci-fi story at a time when those weren't being made, and it made it a ton of money. I think Dunkirk may be a little less successful due to some WW2 fatigue, but I could be totally wrong also. I highly doubt it won't be a success though.