Box Office

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Vader182 wrote:It's certainly going to be a VERY interesting opening weekend to track. Let's see if it'll break out of the 40-45 I've been guessing for months.

Worth pointing out anecdotally that local IMAX theaters are doing okay on ticket presales, but not a single ticket has been sold at the two closest dolby theaters to my apartment. And I live in Chicagoland.

-Vader
Rolling Thunder at World of KJ, who works for a theater and has access to very accurate tracking data, said that it was tracking at 44 for the weekend on Sunday evening (before review embargo lifted).

His tracking numbers were extremely accurate on recent movies like Pirates 5, Transformers 5, and Wonder Woman. We'll see if the great critical reception can help push Dunkirk above the 44 number he mentioned. But honestly if it lands in the mid 40's that is a very good number. Some of the other tracking reports said it could open as low as 30.

anecdotal, but the Lincoln Square IMAX showing i have tickets for is sold out save the front row of seats

NYC tho - probably not a fair example

My local IMAX has Thursday shows at 6p and 9p. The 6p is 71% sold and 9p is 83% sold. Keep in mind, this theatre has almost 600 seats.

Michaelf2225 wrote:anecdotal, but the Lincoln Square IMAX showing i have tickets for is sold out save the front row of seats

NYC tho - probably not a fair example
I think it's selling pretty well in the very large markets, but my rural market is not looking very good. Star Wars is about the only thing that really brings huge pre-sales in my area.

via @StylesMovieNews

Dunkirk "swept away the competition at its first early afternoon screenings" with 3,145 tickets sold in Paris alone. (via Variety)

Still not surprised at the reported tracking, but what got my attention was that they say Dunkirk will be playing at 3400 locations when I thought it was going be 3600 total. So it seems a bit lower than expected.

Tracking probably isn't correctly including the American Sniper/vet crowd, but they'll help with legs way more than OW. Huge unknown as I've been saying.

TBH everyone I've spoken with who's seen it (few friends here + a few professional critics) all agree with Frosty's tweet that this may not play well in middle america.

gunna find out tomorrow with an Indiana audience lol
*no offense to people who live in Indiana
-Vader

Oku
The thing is, patriotism was a huge factor in getting the 'American Sniper/vet' crowd to come out, wasn't it?

It was a lot of "You need to see what a true American hero sacrificed for our country." and such.

Will Dunkirk be able to tap into that crowd when it's devoid of any Americans?

I actually agree with that. One of the big reasons American Sniper or Hacksaw Ridge and films similar to that one do surprisingly well in America is due to the patriotism. Dunkirk is not an American tale and won't have that advantage.

Well that's the question obviously. I think the cross-over of it being an untold military battle with real-world war style photography will be appealing, however American Sniper did crazy money because Republicans are crazy and love supporting the racist psychopath.

There's no such figure in Dunkirk lol.

-Vader