Box Office

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
my final box office predictions...188,325,000 domestic ...522,150,000 ww

My initial box office predictions (back when IMDb boards existed) was $400 million, but that was before I knew the film's run time. When I learned of the run time, that's when I predicted $500 million.

I'm always happy to be wrong and see it pass any of these numbers though, so this is great!

Total Lifetime Grosses................
Domestic: $185,580,747....36.2%

+ Foreign: $326,400,000....63.8%...
= Worldwide: $511,980,747

£

Amazing :clap:

I still remember back then when there were people who said this wouldn't reach $500 million. Look where we are now. 8-)

Past the $500 million mark

Nomis wrote:Past the $500 million mark
Yes, it is past.

Bale Fan wrote:Amazing :clap:

I still remember back then when there were people who said this wouldn't reach $500 million. Look where we are now. 8-)
Well, we're only 11 million above that so it's really not that "amazing". If you said people didn't think it would reach 400 then your post would make sense.

LelekPL wrote:

Well, we're only 11 million above that so it's really not that "amazing". If you said people didn't think it would reach 400 then your post would make sense.
OK negative nancy.£

Master Virgo wrote:
LelekPL wrote:

OK negative nancy.£
No no, I felt the same way about that post. He's not saying $511 million isn't amazing, he's saying it's not relatively amazing compared to $500 million.

Rant ahead:
Both are nearly equally amazing (and amazing they are), but we have to look at percentages here. We're only looking at a 2.2% difference. It's pretty much mathematically equivalent to if we thought that Wish Upon would only get $14 million in the box office when really it got $14.3 million (though I think there is something to be said about dollars difference as well, but $11 million still doesn't sound like much to smile about even between $14 million and $25 million for a film).

At this point, I think feeling out milestones is the best approach. Maybe every $25 million from a hundreds mark. Does that mean $525 million is that much more impressive than $524 million? Of course not. It's simply a target that we're trying to meet though.

Seriously, I actually hate that I am "analyzing" this right now. But I can't tolerate undue name-calling here, especially from a moderator. He and I are very, very impressed and amazed at how much this film has made, but if we were in conversation and somebody says: "Dude, Dunkirk made $500 million," I would already be wowed; somebody jumping in to say, "Nah man, it actually made $511 million!" I won't suddenly lose my shit all over again.

(last clarification point: that doesn't mean I do not like every update post in this thread, I actually love them and enjoy watching the climb; I am personally looking for that $525 million mark next though, but that's just me.)

I mean I like Lelek and I'm just messing with the guy, but honestly if you come in here and say, hey it's not all that impressive, when everybody is celebrating about how much this film has overperformed, you are indeed being unnecessarily negative.

When you say it won't reach 500 mil, it means that you didn't even expect it to come close to that, otherwise you wouldn't have ruled out the possibility altogether. I myself said that it's unlikely and predicted that it would reach 470 tops, but I never dismissed the idea entirely. It is now at 512 and I'm pleasantly surprised.£