Box Office

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Not surprisingly, the film didn't do very well in Germany and South America compared to the other major markets.£

$234m is a very good number. Was hoping for $225m, so almost $10m higher is good to see. 8-)

Master Virgo wrote:Not surprisingly, the film didn't do very well in Germany and South America compared to the other major markets.£
Yes, it opened with $2.1 million only. For comparison, Interstellar made $4.6 million on it's first weekend, and even Valerian made $1 million more than Dunkirk when it opened last weekend. :(

Master Virgo wrote:Not surprisingly, the film didn't do very well in Germany and South America compared to the other major markets.£
Hmmm... I wonder why it didn't do well in Germany... :)

Where I can find South America numbers?

rbej wrote:Total Lifetime Grosses

Domestic: $102,836,220 43.9%
+ Foreign: $131,300,000 56.1%
= Worldwide: $234,136,220
This is remarkable. I want Nolan to continue making more films like Dunkirk, so I'm extremely happy this is making bank worldwide. Plus, there is still some markets left to open, including China. I know Interstellar did extremely well there, it'll definitely be interesting to see how Dunkirk performs with a lot less going for it.

I am honestly impressed, more than any of his other big budget films, that Nolan was able to get the financial backing of Warner Bros. I shouldn't be given the long established relationship between the two, but after finally watching the film, Dunkirk just looked way more experimental, arthouse-y, and plain riskier than any of his other big budgets.

Hopefully, it passes the half-billion dollar mark when all is said and done.

Am I wrong in thinking Dunkirk should be able to reach $300M by the end of next weekend?

Dunkirk deserves every penny it's getting
Last edited by Nomis on July 30th, 2017, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Innovator wrote:Am I wrong in thinking Dunkirk should be able to reach $300M by the end of next weekend?
You're not wrong. I've got it around $134m domestic by the end of next Sunday. If that accounts for 43% of the worldwide total, you're looking at $312m.