Box Office

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
redfirebird2008 wrote:
HorrorBiz wrote:I was curious about the CinemaScore rating. I thought it would be a B+ or something, similar to Inception. I've noticed that the audience score on Rotten Tomatoes has been steadily getting lower (it's at 87% now).
We'll see how it goes. Buzz this evening after my show was extremely positive. I wonder if Nolan is sort of alienating his diehard fans on the Internet but possibly bringing in a different audience for this one. They possibly end up offsetting each other.
Majority of people at my showing clapped at my Imax70mm showing. Heared lots of "Amazing film" while i walked out.

NotoriousWolf wrote:
redfirebird2008 wrote:
HorrorBiz wrote:I was curious about the CinemaScore rating. I thought it would be a B+ or something, similar to Inception. I've noticed that the audience score on Rotten Tomatoes has been steadily getting lower (it's at 87% now).
We'll see how it goes. Buzz this evening after my show was extremely positive. I wonder if Nolan is sort of alienating his diehard fans on the Internet but possibly bringing in a different audience for this one. They possibly end up offsetting each other.
Majority of people at my showing clapped at my Imax70mm showing. Heared lots of "Amazing film" while i walked out.
The buzz I heard reminded me of Inception's WOM. He has possibly created another water cooler movie. I heard one guy raving about how it reminded him of Memento. The structure is gonna have people talking, even if they didn't like the film. You don't need everyone to love it. After all, Inception didn't have an A+ Cinemascore. It only hit A+ with the younger demographics and that was all required to pull a 4.7 multiplier.

When I heard that guy bring up Memento, it made me very happy to hear that. I wonder how many people in the general audience who actually did enjoy Memento/Prestige have no idea it's the same guy as Inception, Interstellar, Batman, and now Dunkirk. It would be awesome if Dunkirk can help shine a light on those other films and people start connecting the dots.

Oku
Chrolan wrote:
redfirebird2008 wrote:I wonder if Nolan is sort of alienating his diehard fans on the Internet but possibly bringing in a different audience for this one. They possibly end up offsetting each other.
Yeah, that's not what's happening.
What's happening, then??

okungnyo wrote:
Chrolan wrote:
redfirebird2008 wrote:I wonder if Nolan is sort of alienating his diehard fans on the Internet but possibly bringing in a different audience for this one. They possibly end up offsetting each other.
Yeah, that's not what's happening.
What's happening, then??
What is happening is that EVERYONE is going to the theatre to see this film. Young, old, men, women, teen girls, fathers and sons, gays. Because it's not rated R and not bloody, whole families are going. The movie is hitting every demographic.

Oku
Yeah, but I'm worried about the legs.

The audience reception on the Internet has been worse than Interstellar's.

okungnyo wrote:Yeah, but I'm worried about the legs.

The audience reception on the Internet has been worse than Interstellar's.
Meanwhile the new Spidey movie has great ratings on the websites and is absolutely tanking in the legs department. Sometimes there is a disconnect. That shark movie 47 Meters Down is another example. Horrible Cinemascore and RT audience rating, yet it has great legs at the box office.

Oku
That's encouraging. :)

The Metacritic audience ratings are pretty good. 8.9 as it stands now.

The problem with rating right now that people who like it - give it 8-10. People who don't like some stuff - give it 0-2. I don't know if it is always like that with Nolan's movies but looks like it's not. Dunkirk will drop even more with this aud. score. Probably will end up with 80 everywhere. I wish I could make people watch it again. They would understand it more.
But anyway, I want to see what legs it will have. part of me thinking that Dunkirk will be good with that because I saw so many people saying it is 11/10. and in the other side people who really don't get it. I hope talking will make great box office.

‘Dunkirk’ Flying To $51M+; ‘Girls Trip’ Driving To $29M+; ‘Valerian’ Still A Disaster With $16M+ ~ Deadline
3x multiplier me thinks. Really curious about international numbers.