Box Office

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
First non-Batman movie in the A range for Nolan.

nolannolanchrischris wrote:Image
Cool.

Oku
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
nightfury93 wrote:If the numbers are as good as people seem to be suggesting, I think it further proves Nolan is one of the only directors working today who is basically a franchise onto themselves.
While this may be true, I'm hoping the next film he makes doesn't have marketing state that it's from the director behind Dark Knight/Inception/Interstellar blah blah blah.

I'd be fine with just "From Academy Award-winning director Christopher Nolan" should he win one, or just his name. It's a test of how much of a household name he is. The Internet may know his name, but my mom doesn't. She doesn't even know of this film's existence, and commercials for this film pass by her on the daily. It'll have to take more to grab the masses.
That means Mr. Nolan would be endorsing the usage of an Academy Award to sell his name, and I don't think he would approve of that.
natalie wrote:
Gitesh Pandya‏ @GiteshPandya 2
#Dunkirk heading to about $20M opening day FRI, wknd on track for around $52M. Will be 1st non-sequel to hit #1 since #WonderWoman.
:ugeek:
On top of that, it would be the first wholly-original film to hit #1 since The Bossy Baby, and the first wholly-original live-action film to hit #1 since Get Out.
Fantastic!!

I was genuinely expecting a C+ or something like that.

okungnyo wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
nightfury93 wrote:If the numbers are as good as people seem to be suggesting, I think it further proves Nolan is one of the only directors working today who is basically a franchise onto themselves.
While this may be true, I'm hoping the next film he makes doesn't have marketing state that it's from the director behind Dark Knight/Inception/Interstellar blah blah blah.

I'd be fine with just "From Academy Award-winning director Christopher Nolan" should he win one, or just his name. It's a test of how much of a household name he is. The Internet may know his name, but my mom doesn't. She doesn't even know of this film's existence, and commercials for this film pass by her on the daily. It'll have to take more to grab the masses.
That means Mr. Nolan would be endorsing the usage of an Academy Award to sell his name, and I don't think he would approve of that.
natalie wrote:
Gitesh Pandya‏ @GiteshPandya 2
#Dunkirk heading to about $20M opening day FRI, wknd on track for around $52M. Will be 1st non-sequel to hit #1 since #WonderWoman.
:ugeek:
On top of that, it would be the first wholly-original film to hit #1 since The Bossy Baby, and the first wholly-original live-action film to hit #1 since Get Out.
Fantastic!!

I was genuinely expecting a C+ or something like that.
Lol na even the mummy and transformers got Bs.

Oku
Well then, as I said:

Fantastic!! :D

I was curious about the CinemaScore rating. I thought it would be a B+ or something, similar to Inception. I've noticed that the audience score on Rotten Tomatoes has been steadily getting lower (it's at 87% now).

Can you imagine being Chris Nolan right now?

"imma film my dog taking a shit"

WB, "we'll give you 150 million"

*Dogshit in IMAX grosses 1 billion dollars*

HorrorBiz wrote:I was curious about the CinemaScore rating. I thought it would be a B+ or something, similar to Inception. I've noticed that the audience score on Rotten Tomatoes has been steadily getting lower (it's at 87% now).
Yeah i mentioned that in another thread.

HorrorBiz wrote:I was curious about the CinemaScore rating. I thought it would be a B+ or something, similar to Inception. I've noticed that the audience score on Rotten Tomatoes has been steadily getting lower (it's at 87% now).
We'll see how it goes. Buzz this evening after my show was extremely positive. I wonder if Nolan is sort of alienating his diehard fans on the Internet but possibly bringing in a different audience for this one. They possibly end up offsetting each other.

redfirebird2008 wrote:I wonder if Nolan is sort of alienating his diehard fans on the Internet but possibly bringing in a different audience for this one. They possibly end up offsetting each other.
Yeah, that's not what's happening.
Last edited by Chrolan on July 22nd, 2017, 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.