Box Office

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Previews are excellent, better than expected. Nice to see such diverse demographic. Didn't expect 31% of people to be under 25. That's pretty unusual for a war movie like this.

BoxOffice Pro: Thursday Night Report

Warner Bros. reports this morning that Christopher Nolan’s Dunkirk earned a strong $5.5 million Thursday evening. By comparison, the WWII action thriller bested last week’s War for the Planet of the Apes ($5.01 million) by 10 percent, as well as Jason Bourne ($4.3 million) and Mad Max: Fury Road ($3.7 million) by sizable margins. (Of note, it matched the fan-heavy Star Trek Beyond‘s $5.5 million Thursday take this time last year.) Comparisons remain rough given Nolan’s considerable fan base, but we remain confident in a breakout weekend that should well exceed the studio’s expected $35-40 million projection.

I think it's a mix bag of Nolan's young demographic and Harry's tbh. It also helps that Hardy is in this film. He attracts a younger audience, in my experience.

dunkirktrash wrote:I think it's a mix bag of Nolan's young demographic and Harry's tbh. It also helps that Hardy is in this film. He attracts a younger audience, in my experience.
Yes, agree on the mix. A lot of Nolan's fans are older than 25. But Inception hit very, very strong with the teenage demographics in 2010. The word of mouth among that age group was A+. Anyone who was 17 or younger for Inception would still be under 25 today.

natalie wrote:
Christopher Nolan’s ‘Dunkirk’ Battles to $5.5 Million at Thursday Box Office
http://www.thewrap.com/christopher-nola ... ox-office/
Big $5.5M THU night pre-shows for #Dunkirk, 10% above #WarForThePlanet from last THU. Aiming to break $50M for full wknd ranking #1.
This is sensational

redfirebird2008 wrote:
dunkirktrash wrote:I think it's a mix bag of Nolan's young demographic and Harry's tbh. It also helps that Hardy is in this film. He attracts a younger audience, in my experience.
Yes, agree on the mix. A lot of Nolan's fans are older than 25. But Inception hit very, very strong with the teenage demographics in 2010. The word of mouth among that age group was A+. Anyone who was 17 or younger for Inception would still be under 25 today.
Same was true about Interstellar.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816692/rat ... _=tt_ov_rt

£

Very much so. There were many groups of girls that came together at last nights screening. I saw many of them taking pictures in front of Dunkirk posters before and after the film. It was really quite cute.

BoxOffice Pro:
‘Dunkirk’ Off To Strong Start Overseas
Warner Bros.’ Dunkirk opened in seven European markets on Wednesday with $2.2 million, good for first place in every territory. France began with $1.1 million, higher than the French opening day gross for Christopher Nolan’s previous directorial effort Interstellar. Other European territories already released include Sweden, Norway, and Finland.

The film will play in 46 overseas markets this weekend and is especially expected to do huge business in the U.K., where the film takes place and because all of its lead actors are British: Tom Hardy, Mark Rylance, Kenneth Branagh, Cillian Murphy, Harry Styles, and Fionn Whitehead. Ahead of its Friday release domestically, the film is also expected to easily capture the first place spot in the U.S. as well.

However, the film will not be released in China until September 1. While guaranteed to lead the U.S. box office this weekend, leading the global box office will prove harder without China yet in release. Plus two films earned more than $100 million globally last weekend, continuing stiff competition: Spider-Man: Homecoming with $116.4 million and War for the Planet of the Apes with $100.7 million.

These are all good signs. Let's hope it continues through the weekend.

natalie wrote:
Christopher Nolan’s ‘Dunkirk’ Battles to $5.5 Million at Thursday Box Office
http://www.thewrap.com/christopher-nola ... ox-office/
Big $5.5M THU night pre-shows for #Dunkirk, 10% above #WarForThePlanet from last THU. Aiming to break $50M for full wknd ranking #1.
Terrific numbers. $40M should at least be certain.