Box Office

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
redfirebird2008 wrote:
Darkline wrote: You don't really need to hate the movie for a poor WOM to happen. If people are kind of "meh" after watching the movie, it will hurt its box office, too.
You don't even need poor WOM to end up with poor legs at the box office. Captain America Civil War had absolutely terrible legs after rave reviews from critics and a strong CinemaScore. Some of the fans blamed piracy because a very good copy of the film leaked online during opening weekend.

But I tend to think Civil War's case was just that the movie was pretty bleak compared to other Marvel films and it also felt like a 5th season TV episode where you needed to watch all 15 movies before it (or however many exist in the MCU these days). That is a turn-off to general audience members who don't keep track of every single movie in detail.
Yes, I agree, but Civil War was ridiculously front loaded, with massive OW. So the poor legs didn't hurt it all that much.

In Dunkirk's case, the legs and WOM will be everything.

Top tickets sold in the last 24 hours on MovieTickets.com.
1.Dunkirk 35,3%
2.Girls Trip 13,8%
3.Spidey 10,8%
4.Apes 8,8%
5.Valerian 7,3%

ShahrokhSam wrote:Top tickets sold in the last 24 hours on MovieTickets.com.
1.Dunkirk 35,3%
2.Girls Trip 13,8%
3.Spidey 10,8%
4.Apes 8,8%
5.Valerian 7,3%
This is an excellent sign for the film's prospects this weekend.

Looks good. I'm curious about demographics. Men, women, older people or younger people?

Darkline wrote:Looks good. I'm curious about demographics. Men, women, older people or younger people?
My screening was a bit of a mixed bag. Mid 20's and up. Men & women. One thing that surprised me was the amount of older gentleman. 70's and up

DoubleD wrote:
Darkline wrote:Looks good. I'm curious about demographics. Men, women, older people or younger people?
My screening was a bit of a mixed bag. Mid 20's and up. Men & women. One thing that surprised me was the amount of older gentleman. 70's and up
Mine was mixed, too. Quite a bit of young people and 30+s, young couples and older men.

Christopher Nolan’s ‘Dunkirk’ Battles to $5.5 Million at Thursday Box Office
http://www.thewrap.com/christopher-nola ... ox-office/
Big $5.5M THU night pre-shows for #Dunkirk, 10% above #WarForThePlanet from last THU. Aiming to break $50M for full wknd ranking #1.

natalie wrote:
Christopher Nolan’s ‘Dunkirk’ Battles to $5.5 Million at Thursday Box Office
http://www.thewrap.com/christopher-nola ... ox-office/
Big $5.5M THU night pre-shows for #Dunkirk, 10% above #WarForThePlanet from last THU. Aiming to break $50M for full wknd ranking #1.
:D

I like how NolanFans are basically just as extra as One Direction fans. Obsessively tracking box office (tracking in how many countries the song is number 1), seeing it multiple times, going into every detail, checking out reviews and so on. Doesn't really feel much different. So with two strong fandoms in mind, I can't wait to see the BO at the end of the week.
Last edited by ohthatone on July 21st, 2017, 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Early PostTrak audience polls from ComScore/Screen Engine show audiences embracing Dunkirk with an overall 89% positive score. What’s interesting here is that men and women under 25 gave the film its best scores despite not leading the charge at the B.O.: Men under 25 (17%) gave the Nolan pic a 95% score while women under 25 (14%) gave it a 94%. Older men over 25 of course outnumbered everyone at 47% and an 88% positive score while females over 25 repped 22% of the pic’s ticket buyers last night with an 81% positive score.
http://deadline.com/2017/07/dunkirk-val ... 202132847/