Set Photos/Videos (Potential Spoilers)

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Excellent question.
YFR3 said Hardy filmed at Digue du Braek and that is near that lighthouse you see the landing plane pass.

I believe that lighthouse (or one like it) is also seen in the background past the grounded trawler.

In both cases they make it seem like those spots are clockwise along the beach from the middle of Dunkerque (to the right if facing the ocean).

I am still wondering if the plane's landing spot is meant to be around the same location where the grounded trawler was, and even if the Germans who caught Farrier could be the same ones who were shooting at the trawler for target practice.

Now I think about it... I've been to Dunkirk and both the trawler scene and Spitfire landing scene are mirrored. They're both filmed at the Digue du Break but in the film they're depicted as if they are at the right of the mole (seen from Dunkerque with eyes to the sea).

I agree.
Maybe that spot west of Digue du Braek was most suitable for filming the dangerous dune-edged outskirts of town (and/or more suitable for landing a spitfire), but maybe shorefront homes to the east looked better for filming the earlier part of the glide?

The propeller is also clearly spinning - it's impressive that the team at DNeg were able to make it appear as though it's stopped without looking like obvious CGI

Oku
They could have done something like this (no CGI required):

Re filming a scene placed "east" of Dunkirk in the west...

French Wikipedia mentions that (here translated):
The beaches east of Dunkerque , on the French-Belgian border near De Panne , were deserted as of 31 May 1940 by British troops who had been informed that no more vessels would come to pick them up. Sector 313 . This is where Tommy ( Fionn Whitehead ), Alex ( Harry Styles ) and Gibson ( Aneurin Barnard ) run aground in the film after the destroyer destroys and Farrier ( Tom Hardy ) places his Spitfire at the end of the film . These two scenes are filmed on the embankment of Braek, west of Dunkerque , but the assembly situates them well to the east of the city, at the limit of the perimeter of defense, near the German lines.

Original French:
Les plages situées à l'est de Dunkerque, à la frontière franco-belge, près de La Panne, ont bien été désertées à compter du 31 mai 1940 par les troupes britanniques qui avaient été informées que plus aucun bateau ne viendrait les chercher dans ce secteur313. C'est l'endroit où Tommy (Fionn Whitehead), Alex (Harry Styles) et Gibson (Aneurin Barnard) s'échouent dans le film après le torpillage du destroyer et où Farrier (Tom Hardy) pose son Spitfire à la fin du film. Ces deux scènes sont filmées sur la digue du Braek, à l'ouest de Dunkerque, mais le montage les situent bien à l'est de la ville, à la limite du périmètre de défense, près des lignes allemandes.
Note - I noticed this when I watched the film the first time. I saw that lighthouse beyond the grounded trawler (to the "east" of it) but knew it looked like the lighthouse west of Dunkerque at Digue du Braek. I posted a postcard of it in this thread at the time.

Photo of the lighthouse near Digue du Braek, west of Dunkirk for comparison (not a set photo):
Last edited by dormouse7 on August 11th, 2017, 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oku
What does 'postcard' mean in this context?

Actually - postcard was what I searched for when I found that, but based on the aspect ratio it is not a postcard. I relabeled it photo.

okungnyo wrote:So the scene was flipped in post?

I wonder why they didn't just do it the 'right' way.
The Digue du Braek didn't exist in 1940. The Saint-Pol lighthouse is a part of what was called the West Mole in Dunkirk. It was a French sector during Operation Dynamo. In the movie, everything we saw on the Digue du Braek is supposed to happen on the east, around the French/Belgian border, in a deserted British area.

dormouse7 wrote:Excellent question.
YFR3 said Hardy filmed at Digue du Braek and that is near that lighthouse you see the landing plane pass.

I believe that lighthouse (or one like it) is also seen in the background past the grounded trawler.

In both cases they make it seem like those spots are clockwise along the beach from the middle of Dunkerque (to the right if facing the ocean).

I am still wondering if the plane's landing spot is meant to be around the same location where the grounded trawler was, and even if the Germans who caught Farrier could be the same ones who were shooting at the trawler for target practice.
That's definitely the same location. It is said by Joshua Levine in the official book. It is supposed to be the Bray-Dunes / De Panne sector in the movie