Set Photos/Videos (Potential Spoilers)

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Wow. I'm not entirely sure I was excited about this movie before today, but those scenes look incredible. I think I'm going to try to stay out of this thread from now on though - I don't want to see any more.

Can't wait to see this film though. It's gonna be sick.

Shady1 wrote:Wow. I'm not entirely sure I was excited about this movie before today, but those scenes look incredible. I think I'm going to try to stay out of this thread from now on though - I don't want to see any more.

Can't wait to see this film though. It's gonna be sick.
Crowds of people get you excited? Nolan did this same thing in Dark Knight Rises and that result was quite underwhelming.

Well so far it seems like a straightforward WW2 movie with big action scenes, I really hope it's more than that.
I hope Nolan didn't make the decision to write and direct this film out of the mentality of: "This is an interesting WW2 event that must be told with huge set pieces and a huge cast ensemble ", but rather a: "This is an interesting cinematic, storytelling notion that I haven't experimented with before and would be worth filming around the themes and visuals elements of this WW2 event" mentality, if you catch my drift...

willaartwillem wrote:
Nice.

genloovers wrote:
DHOPW42 wrote:
genloovers wrote:I'm really not excited about this at all. Not sure how another WW2 movie is a good thing or even an entertaining thing. But Nolan doing IMAX is always worth it, even just for the viewing pleasure. Still not very excited; his last two were underwhelming at best.
Of course you have every right to be sceptical, it's your opinion. But if you thought Interstellar was underwhelming, then I'm not sure what Dunkirk can offer you. So far Dunkirk seems like a film in the likes of Interstellar in the way that it's a straight-forward story with less twists and mindfucks than usual (this opinion might seem controversial regarding Interstellar - of course it's a sci-fi that plays with time dilation, reimagination of the concept of time and so forth, but to me the film always seemed much, much more simple in a structural sense than Nolan's previous entries, even compared to The Dark Knight for example).

The point is that in Interstellar certain events play out in a very simple way - they land on a planet, huge waves come, they escape. They land on another planet, they talk to a guy for hours, they walk around, they escape. Then they fly around in spaceships. Not much is happening in Interstellar compared to his previous films - it's a very simple film with simple scenes that play out on a very, very big canvas. I'm expecting the same of Dunkirk mainly because it's a historic event, so there's going to be even less twists and mindbending plotpoints, I'm sure. I'm also sure that Nolan will try to find some human stories and plots in the course of this war event, and he will try to create very Nolanesque storylines out of those realistic, historic moments and events, but he has much less to play with.

And I'm not saying this is a bad thing. This is only a bad thing if you didn't enjoy Interstellar for example, which for me, immediately after the first seeing, felt that it's a completely different direction for Nolan (several puns intended). And I have the feeling that Dunkirk will resemble Interstellar much more than any of his other films.
By 'underwhelming' I mean better than 99.9999% of the rest of the stuff Hollywood puts out. I meant underwhelming by Nolan standards. I still saw Interstellar like 7 times in theaters, simply because Nolan is amazing at delivering the most visceral movie going experience (especially in the IMAX format) and he's the best at it. I'm sure Dunkirk will be just as great to witness on the big screen. But it's just a topic I'm not that interested in. Either way, I'll see it and I'm sure it will be a great experience.
I actually hate space movies. The only reason I watched Interstellar was because it's Nolan's work and I did end up enjoying it very much. The only other topic that I really have no interest is any sports movie not involving soccer but I suspect I might watch that too if he ever makes one.

OVERMAN wrote:Well so far it seems like a straightforward WW2 movie with big action scenes, I really hope it's more than that.
I hope Nolan didn't make the decision to write and direct this film out of the mentality of: "This is an interesting WW2 event that must be told with huge set pieces and a huge cast ensemble ", but rather a: "This is an interesting cinematic, storytelling notion that I haven't experimented with before and would be worth filming around the themes and visuals elements of this WW2 event" mentality, if you catch my drift...
I'm confident that Nolan won't create movie only about explosions, plane battles and other stuff. We must remember that Nolan has two Oscar nominations for Best screenplay and in both cases for his own screenplays. That's why I think story will be great.
He could film Interstellar like big blockbuster, but it was very character-centered. And finally I think we see final scenes in "Dunkirk" now, while filming in France. It would have been strange if there weren't any explosions and thousands extras. Story needs it.

pashacules wrote:
OVERMAN wrote:Well so far it seems like a straightforward WW2 movie with big action scenes, I really hope it's more than that.
I'm confident that Nolan won't create movie only about explosions, plane battles and other stuff. We must remember that Nolan has two Oscar nominations for Best screenplay and in both cases for his own screenplays. That's why I think story will be great.
He could film Interstellar like big blockbuster, but it was very character-centered. And finally I think we see final scenes in "Dunkirk" now, while filming in France. It would have been strange if there weren't any explosions and thousands extras. Story needs it.
That's basically what Dark Knight Rises was.

Looks amazing. A proper epic.

I saw a video of multiple explosions going off within feet of hundreds of extras. It looked absolutely mental. Andrew Jackson is bringing the madness of Mad Max to the beaches of Dunkirk.

genloovers wrote: That's basically what Dark Knight Rises was.
yeahsureok
MyCocaine wrote:Looks amazing. A proper epic.

I saw a video of multiple explosions going off within feet of hundreds of extras. It looked absolutely mental. Andrew Jackson is bringing the madness of Mad Max to the beaches of Dunkirk.
Would you be so kind to provide a link to that video please?