Fionn Whitehead joins the cast of 'Dunkirk'

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Lord Shade wrote:
Law wrote:
Lord Shade wrote:New pictures of him from, um, Him.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a8101 ... /?zoomable
This has nothing to do with Dunkirk
I just thought that people over here might be interested in how looks the lad to whom Nolan entrusted the leading role in his next project, and Him is the only thing where you could catch him in.
What Lord Shade said.

So I've watched this Fionn guy tonight on Him, and what can I say. I pretty much got why Nolan chose him to lead Dunkirk. He's a good young actor, and among all this tones of young British (and non-British) actors, he has most of the chances to become something significant in the industry. My impression of him is that he's more about heavy, dramatic, even murky roles rather than something else (I don't think he can do a comedy, actually). His look is a cross between Cillian Murphy and Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and his way of acting reminds of Gordon-Levitt a bit. I mean, Gordon-Levitt in his most serious moments. But Fionn also has his own charm too. In general, he has all he needs, both look and potential with support of some talent, to play the lead role in Dunkirk.

At least he now is not a dark horse for me anymore. And I even have some thoughts on what his character in Dunkirk could be.

Lord Shade wrote:So I've watched this Fionn guy tonight on Him, and what can I say. I pretty much got why Nolan chose him to lead Dunkirk. He's a good young actor, and among all this tones of young British (and non-British) actors, he has most of the chances to become something significant in the industry. My impression of him is that he's more about heavy, dramatic, even murky roles rather than something else (I don't think he can do a comedy, actually). His look is a cross between Cillian Murphy and Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and his way of acting reminds of Gordon-Levitt a bit. I mean, Gordon-Levitt in his most serious moments. But Fionn also has his own charm too. In general, he has all he needs, both look and potential with support of some talent, to play the lead role in Dunkirk.

At least he now is not a dark horse for me anymore. And I even have some thoughts on what his character in Dunkirk could be.
:thumbup:
So was tonight the premiere of HIM? because I tried looking for it online.

the_red_ninja wrote:
Lord Shade wrote:So I've watched this Fionn guy tonight on Him, and what can I say. I pretty much got why Nolan chose him to lead Dunkirk. He's a good young actor, and among all this tones of young British (and non-British) actors, he has most of the chances to become something significant in the industry. My impression of him is that he's more about heavy, dramatic, even murky roles rather than something else (I don't think he can do a comedy, actually). His look is a cross between Cillian Murphy and Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and his way of acting reminds of Gordon-Levitt a bit. I mean, Gordon-Levitt in his most serious moments. But Fionn also has his own charm too. In general, he has all he needs, both look and potential with support of some talent, to play the lead role in Dunkirk.

:thumbup:
So was tonight the premiere of HIM? because I tried looking for it online.
Yes, there was on ITV at 9pm (UK time) yesterday.
http://www.itv.com/hub/itv

The next episode will be on October, 26 at the same time, so you can watch it still. ;)

This is pretty much the description of what happened in the first episode:
With the repercussions his parents’ divorce and their consequent remarriages knocking HIM’s (Fionn Whitehead) world out of balance, he finds himself struggling with adolescence, failing grades and feelings he cannot control. However, unlike other teenagers, HIM has the additional pressure of learning to master his inherited telekinetic powers.

Living in between both his parents’ houses, HIM feels ousted by their respective new families, with his Dad (James Murray) expecting twins with his new wife and a baby brother to contend with at his Mum’s (Katherine Kelly) house. However, when his stepsister Faith (Simona Brown) moves in, the fragile balance is threatened further as he develops feelings towards her.

With only his grandmother to confide in, who urges HIM to use his abilities for good rather than in anger, will HIM be able to keep his emotions – and powers – in check?
Shortly speaking, there's a teenager, HIM, played by Fionn, who discovers a supernatural powers in himself. He tries this superpowers in his family, on his school by presenting it like 'magic tricks', but towards the end of the episode they go out of control and he harms one of his close ones. The last words is like "he tested his powers now, then he'll want more".

Fionn was asked about the attention around Harry Styles... I think he handled it pretty well and probably said what everyone among the cast and production thinks, without putting down Harry himself.. Here's an excerpt from the article..
Fionn Whitehead is bored to tears being bombarded with Harry Styles intrigue and hysteria about upcoming war drama Dunkirk. Especially considering he also co-stars alongside Oscar-winning Mark Rylance and Tom Hardy in the Christopher Nolan picture. But Digital Spy went ahead and asked anyway, with the talented 19-year-old actor telling us: "Harry is a really lovely guy, he's a really down-to-earth, funny guy. And he's just a normal everyday guy I can chat with and we get on well".
"I think the hysteria - [perhaps] it should have been expected when you take a figure like that and give him a short back and sides and put him in a uniform".
"I think the focus should not be Harry Styles doing a movie, it should be on the piece in general or his ability to act. And he's great".
"I think it's got a bit silly really. The meaning has got lost somewhere along the way and people have stopped realizing there's an amazing cast - including Harry - but there's you know, the creme de la creme of actors." Fionn defended the One Direction singer from all the undeserved "hysteria" and added that he's a "great actor".
"People are putting too much emphasis on Harry being in it, but that is in no means a reflection on him," he continued."He hasn't asked for any of this. He's great, he's a good actor and a lovely guy. In terms of the media, they have put too much emphasis on this one guy instead of the piece as a whole and the ensemble as a whole."
link: http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a ... witterpost

Lord Shade noticed the article has been pulled. It's now a dead link.

oh so the digital spy article was deleted.. that's a bit weird lol

Why would they do that?

It was an odd article. Maybe Fionn's people or Nolan's didn't like them characterizing Fionn as "bored to tears" or just didn't like the whole gist of it. And as is typical in these articles, they put words together in new ways and stick quotes around it, claiming Fionn said Harry was a "great actor" when (if the other quotes are correct) he used the word great in other contexts and said Harry was a "good actor".

I feel bad for Fionn - he has this amazing breakout acting gig but keeps getting asked about someone else. Must be frustrating. He seems like a nice guy though.