Harry Styles joins the cast of 'Dunkirk'

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Harry apparently mentioned or was asked about Dunkirk in his (surprise for me) Grammy Museum interview and performance.

Variety:
Styles, who released his self-titled debut in May, was joined by producer Jeff Bhasker for a lively, often laugh-out-loud discussion of how the album came together, Styles’ experience filming “Dunkirk” (“I was in the water way more than the movie suggests,” Styles cracked), and his views on the music industry.

Indiewire: 7 of the Best Performances By Non-Professional Actors of 2017 (So Far)
"The Florida Project" isn't the only film to arrive this year that's bolstered by the talents of brand-new actors.
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/10/perfor ... 201883212/
Harry Styles, “Dunkirk”
“Dunkirk”
Warner Bros.

Fans of the ex-One Direction singer hotly anticipated his first big screen turn in Christopher Nolan’s epic war film, perhaps not realizing 1) this was a war film and 2) one with a sprawling cast and no true “lead” role for anyone, even multi-platinum star Harry Styles. Still, Styles managed to stand out in the three-tiered feature by, weirdly enough, not standing out, instead slipping into the role and the other actors around him, ably adapting to the ensemble nature of the film (and seeming to relish it). As young soldier in the throes of a horrific war, Styles’ Alex isn’t given over to heroics or histrionics, opting to pursue survival above all else. That Styles disappears into not just the role, but the film itself is proof that his next-act career is on the right track, and he’s already shooting straight.
Last edited by dormouse7 on December 18th, 2017, 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

In this video, a brief 10+ second mention/clip of Dunkirk at 5:20 during Harry's interview/feature on CBS Sunday Morning today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzMbSDbNpiM

Harry talks w/ Roman of Capital FM about Dunkirk stunts and hurting his wrist.

His wrist is still messed up. He had some surgery on it and had heavy bandages, then the bandages got thinner, but he's back to bulky bandaging this week.

Harry Styles at the BBC airs November 2 8-9PM BST on BBC - description sounds like he will also discuss Dunkirk.

Here's the Dunkirk part of Harry's interview from "Harry Styles at the BBC"

Last edited by dormouse7 on December 18th, 2017, 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dunkirk is gonna get loads of attention and headlines for a day or two. Harry released the video for his third/second single, "Kiwi" and the generalised joke is that it's Dunkirk but with kids instead of soldiers, cupcakes instead of bullets, Gucci suits instead of army uniforms, and for some reason, puppies.

Loads of articles about it mentioning Dunkirk. If it'd been closer to the release of the Blu-Ray it might've pushed some sales even lol.

Kiwi as a Dunkirk trailer by itsloutual
Amazing what the Dunkirk soundtrack does to it.

Nice to see some of you directioners are still hanging around.£

Brief mention of Dunkirk on X-Factor Italia, after Harry's performance.

Host: We saw you in theaters, in Dunkirk. How did it go?

Harry: It was cold. It was a lo- uh it was good. Yeah, I think it uh, it was hard. But I think all of us were, you know, I think it was a movie that we were all proud to be a part of, so I'm glad people enjoyed it.

---

And a couple of old quotes that may not have been posted:
Of being worried about his performance, Harry admitted: 'That’s probably the bit that surprised me the most - it’s so intense. You do the audition and go home and obsess over whether people liked you or not.'
New to the craft, the Sign Of The Times singer spoke of how he learnt that taxing exhausting action sequences don't always make the final edit: 'We probably swam, filming for about four months, and there’s maybe three shots of me swimming, two of which are the back of my head. So I feel like it’s an unfair representation of how much I was swimming.'
Last edited by dormouse7 on December 15th, 2017, 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Daily Mail: Heart-throb Harry has the film factor:
Dunkirk director says former 1D star is a natural when it comes to acting

By Baz Bamigboye for the Daily Mail
Published: 21:01 EST, 14 December 2017 | Updated: 01:07 EST, 15 December 201

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... actor.html

Christopher Nolan said he cast Harry Styles in his stirring Dunkirk epic because the former One Direction singer has an ‘old-fashioned face’.

The film-maker observed that Styles, who was making his debut in the movie, has ‘the kind of face that makes you believe he could have been alive in that period’.

‘Harry’s character’s very unglamorous,’ he said. ‘It’s not a showboating role. And Harry shied away from being a “star” in it. He’s a humble guy who didn’t want attention.

‘He enjoyed the idea of not carrying it; that he was part of an ensemble. Like the soldiers they played, the actors were all in it together and supported each other very well,’ said Nolan, who was in London, from his home in the U.S., visiting friends.

He said Dunkirk was all about survival: the mass exodus ‘speaks to the whole nature of heroism, and getting home to fight another day’. Nolan’s film captures the essence of the British spirit (though the director prefers to call it ‘the human spirit’).

It has been hailed as one of the year’s best movies, topping several critics’ polls, and is seen as a major contender in the Golden Globe, Bafta and Oscar awards.

Nolan, who also made the Dark Knight trilogy and Inception, stressed that he and his casting directors had been looking for unknowns for the ‘land’ part of the film. ‘Harry sent in a tape, and we liked the tape. And he joined the workshop, and that was that. It was a really old-fashioned process — and Harry’s features, ability and demeanour fitted right in.’

Nolan added he’d love to work with the 23-year-old singer again. ‘He’s very talented. I’ve no idea whether he wants to pursue acting, but he’s a natural.’

He said he got lucky with his cast that, in addition to Mr Styles, included other relative newcomers Fionn Whitehead, Tom Glynn-Carney, Barry Keoghan; the next ranks such as Billy Howle, Jack Lowden and Aneurin Barnard; and veterans Mark Rylance, Kenneth Branagh and Tom Hardy.

I was lucky enough to get the chance to watch Dunkirk and the Working Title-Joe Wright film Darkest Hour, starring a magnificent Gary Oldman as Winston Churchill, on the same day, and found them to be an almost perfect double bill, examining the same events, from very different angles.

Dunkirk is released on 4K, Blu-ray and DVD on Monday (December 18).