Harry Styles joins the cast of 'Dunkirk'

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Kiwinights wrote:I thought he was good in this movie but find it really difficult to believe that he'd be singled out among the young cast if anyone else had done that same exact performance. Swap him with any of the other roles, and the praise would be equally ravenous. As someone who was very aware of his celebrity, although not young enough to be in the 1D fanbase demographic, I found his presence distracting though not overly so. I would just respond to him as a celebrity instead of a character. "Oh, Harry Styles is taller than I was expecting" "Harry Styles pulls off dramatic yelling pretty well!" were the kind of thoughts that went through my head.
Ok, but the fact you were distracted was your own issue and had nothing to do with whether or not he was good in his role. And I'm not sure how you can comment on how much praise he would or wouldn't receive if he'd been "swapped" in another role. Fact is, he earned the role of Alex, that's where they cast him because that's what they wanted him for. So anything else is moot.

I thought he did a terrific job as Alex, but I thought all the young cast did a great job in each of their roles. None of them seemed out of place or out of their depth. I kind of agree with what I think you said, I don't know how any of them - including Harry - could really be singled out. They all seemed to do a wonderful job with their characters, but none of them truly stood out as being better or worse than the rest. And that's a good thing. That's what Nolan wanted and that's what he got, so it truly was a fantastic ensemble cast, IMO.

Likely a bs self-promoting rumor started by the plastic surgeon but too ridiculous to not share:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz/6335 ... al-surgery
excerpt:
Thousands have paid £650 for a 30-minute dimpleplasty op to give themselves the same angelic look as the One Direction star.

Demand in the US has gone through the roof since photos appeared promoting Harry’s role in the Oscar-tipped Second World War blockbuster Dunkirk, which opened in the UK on Friday.

Now the craze is expected to take off in the UK.

Dr Wright Jones, founder of the Muse Plastic Surgery clinic in Atlanta, Georgia, said pictures of the dimpled hunk in uniform have left fans wanting to replicate his appearance themselves.

He reckons he is performing at least three times more dimpleplasty ops than last year.

And Harry, 23, has overtaken dimpled celebs such as movie stars Brad Pitt and Jake Gyllenhaal in popularity.

Location: You'll find me in the region of the summer stars✶*¨*✫
dormouse7 wrote:Likely a bs self-promoting rumor started by the plastic surgeon but too ridiculous to not share:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz/6335 ... al-surgery
excerpt:
Thousands have paid £650 for a 30-minute dimpleplasty op to give themselves the same angelic look as the One Direction star.

Demand in the US has gone through the roof since photos appeared promoting Harry’s role in the Oscar-tipped Second World War blockbuster Dunkirk, which opened in the UK on Friday.

Now the craze is expected to take off in the UK.

Dr Wright Jones, founder of the Muse Plastic Surgery clinic in Atlanta, Georgia, said pictures of the dimpled hunk in uniform have left fans wanting to replicate his appearance themselves.

He reckons he is performing at least three times more dimpleplasty ops than last year.

And Harry, 23, has overtaken dimpled celebs such as movie stars Brad Pitt and Jake Gyllenhaal in popularity.
Lol! Well I mean, it's not unheard of to want to look like a celeb but they aren't doing it because I Dunkirk..he never even smiles or shows his dimples in the movie lol

Maybe they mean photos from promo appearances.

I don't think anyone is asking for Harry's dimples. They're like craters. They wouldn't fit in almost anyone else's face. It's shameless self promo, probably also piggybacking from that article about Harry having the perfect chin and eyes according to science that's spreading around now.

Oku
dormouse7 wrote:IMO, Harry gets extra mentions because

1. He is really famous. Similarly Tom Hardy often gets more mentions than most of the others. In addition, quite a bit of the Harry-centric publicity in print/tv/radio might not have not existed except for Harry. I am talking US hot-celeb type coverage like EW, Extra, Insider, and music magazine/pop radio coverage and fashion magazine coverage. For many of those there could have been zero coverage for Dunkirk w/o Harry.

2. He had one of the more dynamic characters, the most dynamic of the main ground cast.

3. People were mouthing off about Harry for a year before the film opened, and not in a good way. e.g. "I don't want a stinking boy band member in my Nolan/war movie", "Why didn't they cast a real actor","I don't want fangirls screaming in my war movie", "I bet they only cast him for publicity", "But can he act?" and all the other bs. IMO he deserves some good mentions after all of that crap. Plus LOTS of people were curious how he would do in his role. He did well and many articles note that.
What is "Insider"?
dunkirktrash wrote:I don't think anyone is asking for Harry's dimples. They're like craters. They wouldn't fit in almost anyone else's face. It's shameless self promo, probably also piggybacking from that article about Harry having the perfect chin and eyes according to science that's spreading around now.
I've said this before, but sometimes the way you talk about him, I would never ever take you for a fan. :shock:

Insider is one of several dinnertime TV celebrity news/gossip shows on US TV. These shows mostly only care about hot US celebrities but they cover a few British ones too, and occasional others. They started including some Harry news this past year (with his US No. 1 album and his casting in Dunkirk).

Shady1 wrote:
Kiwinights wrote:I thought he was good in this movie but find it really difficult to believe that he'd be singled out among the young cast if anyone else had done that same exact performance. Swap him with any of the other roles, and the praise would be equally ravenous. As someone who was very aware of his celebrity, although not young enough to be in the 1D fanbase demographic, I found his presence distracting though not overly so. I would just respond to him as a celebrity instead of a character. "Oh, Harry Styles is taller than I was expecting" "Harry Styles pulls off dramatic yelling pretty well!" were the kind of thoughts that went through my head.
Ok, but the fact you were distracted was your own issue and had nothing to do with whether or not he was good in his role. And I'm not sure how you can comment on how much praise he would or wouldn't receive if he'd been "swapped" in another role. Fact is, he earned the role of Alex, that's where they cast him because that's what they wanted him for. So anything else is moot.
Yes and no. The issue of who the blame for stunt casting (or in this case, if we buy Nolan's claim that he didn't get how famous Styles was) still lies with the director, as it's probably wrong to blame Harry. But I couldn't help thinking of other kinds of stunt casting or instances where celebrities in other fields transitioned to acting, and found this wanting. I forget Tesla is Bowie every time I watch The Prestige, and find Justin Timberlake to be a pretty fine actor who translates his showmanship and charisma to his characters well enough to also convince me he's a character and not JT in his movies. (Was thinking about the Styles comparison when rewatching The Social Network the other night.) Maybe it's the fault of the character, maybe Styles didn't do enough to really convince me he was Alex. Dunno. But yes, in full agreement that he's being overhyped in both directions.
Last edited by Kiwinights on July 30th, 2017, 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

He was overhyped because some people were doubting his casting, which is absurd knowing Nolan.
Th press, some of his fans kinda made it all about him which was also annoying but in the end the kid did a great job with what he had. I personally don't think he was the best out of all the newcomers, that was Tom GC for me.
Kinda curious to see what he'll do next acting wise.

I don't think he was overhyped. Nolan was asked directly about him and answered the questions honestly. I thought Harry more than deserved the accolades he received, but the other young cast did as well, they just weren't asked about as much. That's not the fault of Styles.

I dont think TGC stood out any more or any less, imo. But he definitely didn't get as much skepticism at the beginning of the project and therefore didn't get as much "see I told you so" at the end.