Dunkirk's Soundtrack

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Forum Pro
Law

If the Dunkirk score is anything like this ... hnnnnggggggg

I just hope it's not typical "WW2 music." And I'm pretty positive they'll go in a totally different direction, which is awesome.

Call me weird, but I hope for some calm choir music in this movie, combined with the more classical approach Lord Shade earlier stated. Think of the opening scene in The Thin Red Line. It also depends on how spiritual Nolan wants this movie to be.

willaartwillem wrote:Call me weird, but I hope for some calm choir music in this movie, combined with the more classical approach Lord Shade earlier stated. Think of the opening scene in The Thin Red Line. It also depends on how spiritual Nolan wants this movie to be.
Yes, this treatment would be perfect with Nolan's narrative style: gradually developing story with a few key action sequences scattered along the way. If, of course, Dunkirk is as well being made in this fashion. But I'm almost sure it is, some things is Nolan films are just unchangable.

Lord Shade wrote:
willaartwillem wrote:Call me weird, but I hope for some calm choir music in this movie, combined with the more classical approach Lord Shade earlier stated. Think of the opening scene in The Thin Red Line. It also depends on how spiritual Nolan wants this movie to be.
Yes, this treatment would be perfect with Nolan's narrative style: gradually developing story with a few key action sequences scattered along the way. If, of course, Dunkirk is as well being made in this fashion. But I'm almost sure it is, some things is Nolan films are just unchangable.
Exactly. However, I hope that there won't be any music accompanying the action scenes (except the potentially emotional action scenes towards the end of the movie of course). It would be really cool to just see the action scenes in their full glory, raw and gritty. That would be an interesting contrast especially if the soundtrack itself is a bit silent and more classical as we said before. It would give the action scenes more weight in my opinion.

Will McCrab on Twitter:
"11 months ago Hans Zimmer wrote an 'Overture' while the final draft was being polished.
The new DUNKIRK trailer will feature some of it."

Probably bullshit

willaartwillem wrote:Will McCrab on Twitter:
"11 months ago Hans Zimmer wrote an 'Overture' while the final draft was being polished.
The new DUNKIRK trailer will feature some of it."

Probably bullshit
McCrabb isn't taking any risk, as Zimmer was hired for Dunkirk 11 months ago. Thus, there's a good chance that his score will be heard in the trailer. McCrabb isn't an insider, it's Captain Obvious.

^To be fair, that doesn't always happen. Aside from the teaser, Interstellar trailers didn't use any score Zimmer wrote for the film. (Except for the 5th trailer but that one wasn't released for a wide audience). So we don't know if Dunkirk will get the same treatment or not.

This ain't gonna happen. Nolan did this trick with Interstellar, when he and Zimmer shouted that we won't hear the film's music until the film release (they even put soundtrack release date after the film's release). And it worked, nobody expected to hear the music from the teaser as the main theme of the movie. Now, Nolan knows that people might expect music in the teaser trailer to be the film's music, and he won't put it in. Because he knows that the same trick doesn't work twice in a row.

Wait, why wouldn't the "trick" work? I would be more than fine with hearing the films' score only until I see the film in theaters.