Dunkirk's Soundtrack

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
This track is fantastic and I can imagine it will work perfectly with the film. So much tension and build up. Zimmer is the man and Nolan always brings the best out of him. And this is just one track! I cant imagine what else we will hear on that album (fingers crossed for the prologue score).

The track is pretty long too, guess thats why a double vinyl release in October. Not many tracks but they might be longer.

Btw I like the "air" soundtrack cover for this track, fits more that the teaser poster one imho.

Honestly this sounds really derivative and boring and repetitive like the main theme of Interstellar. I just hope to god they don't use this section over and over again in the same fashion they recycled that Interstellar section over and over.

tommyjon400 wrote:Honestly this sounds really derivative and boring and repetitive like the main theme of Interstellar. I just hope to god they don't use this section over and over again in the same fashion they recycled that Interstellar section over and over.
:wtf:

ChristMAX wrote:
tommyjon400 wrote:Honestly this sounds really derivative and boring and repetitive like the main theme of Interstellar. I just hope to god they don't use this section over and over again in the same fashion they recycled that Interstellar section over and over.
I'm not saying this SOUNDS like Interstellar. Interstellar's main thing was that delicate melody that played any damn time someone was crying or saying something important like "love transcends time and space, blah blah blah". What I'm taking about is the repetition and boredom of the tune. This sounds like Wonder Woman and Dark Knight and we've heard that before and it drones on and on. I hope to god this isn't the main theme that plays throughout. Nolan really needs to hire another composer going forward just for the sake of doing something new.

ChristMAX wrote:
I see your :wtf: and raise you a :shock:
I haven't listened to the Dunkirk track yet, and don't intend to out of context before seeing the movie, but I consider Interstellar's score to be among Zimmer's best work. There are standouts on his other soundtracks that might be better (tracks like Time, for example), but overall Interstellar's is consistently great. That said, I do worry that Dunkirk may not have as many pieces that stand on their own.

I'm quite convinced that you don't know much about music. That's fine, but to be honest, this track is really far from boring. Repetitiveness has nothing to do with the "boringness"(?) of music. This is program music - it's for a fucking film, for scenes in the film. This is not a symphony. Although it very well could be - repetition is a huge part of classical music anyway, that's simply tradition. But here it's very clear that it's repetitive because this is accompanying film scenes where the visual experience is more important than the auditory one.

I mean what were people expecting? This is not Danny Elfman or John Williams, this is Hans Zimmer. Remember that the Batman theme consisted of one sustained note, right? Yes, he also did Pirates of the Caribbean, but I can only hope that people realize it was melodic and energetic for a reason. This film is not an adventure film for kids. This is a suspense action thriller. Have people who say this is boring ever seen a Nolan film before?

This isn't a pop song, that it's repetitive doesn't mean jack shit for the rest of the soundtrack. And with the soundtrack of Interstellar, Zimmer pretty much proved to everyone that he can compose fresh, new and exciting scores.

Well they do that in pretty much every movie, the composer creates a main cue, track or sound and morphs it, experiments with it depending on the circumstance, the character or the scene, a film might end up having more of an emotional resonance if a theme is used in the right way, most, if not all Nolan/Zimmer collaborations are a testament of that, if anything listening to this track the criticism I have is that it doesn't seem creative or different at all, Zimmer is just comfortably doing a synthesis of stuff that has proven effective in his previous scores for Nolan films and Nolan is probably just happy because of how awesome this "Collage" sounds. Listening to Supermarine is pretty much: Speed up water planet (Mountains) beginning track mixed with The Dark Knight's tension Joker music, then it starts building up to something that sounds like Inception's Dream is Collapsing climax (but not as good because of that annoying iteration that sounds like a pitched down siren) culminating with a background of Bane's Fire Rises theme.

Have we been introduced to a main sound for Dunkirk?, a core musical cue from the movie? is it just Nolan's pocket watch/ticking clock sound surrounded by all these music we are extremely familiar with?... Using time as the main theme or idea for the composition is fine, it's interesting even when the movie itself deals with the notion of time like Inception and Interstellar but... again? A third time? I know Nolan probably told Hans: Listen I don't want it to sound Spielbergian, which is good, but you kind of expect Zimmer's initiative to be something like: "Hey, I want to use church organs for your space movie how about that!" not: "lend me your watch, I'll come up with something later"

Even though I agree with you completely, this sounds like it's the "Day One Dark" from Interstellar. That one wasn't used at all moments of intensity.

I think it's a little bit long and repetitive, but someone posted a TV spot with it yesterday and it really suits the footage. It's what I said the other day, I believe we must see the film first and listen to the soundtrack afterwards. It's gonna be completely different and I know that I personally am going to fall in love with it straightaway.