Budget

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Oku
dunkirktrash wrote:
okungnyo wrote: This is fascinating, thanks for the write-up.

A question, though, about the "just hanging around today" tweet.

I Googled it to find out more about the commercial, but I couldn't find any pages talking about it.

Do One Direction fans discuss this stuff on the dark web or something?

I kid, I kid. But seriously, where do they gather? I even tried Googling "one direction fan forums" but nothing.

I'd like to read some posts on what they thought of the trailer and whatnot.
You're welcome!
I don't want to clutter the forum with things that aren't about Nolan, but quick reply: tumblr. You'll find things on twitter, but it's mostly hysterical screaming with nonsense. People on Twitter are either stupid or acting like it.

Go to http://tumblr.com/tagged/dunkirk and you'll see mostly Harry fans talking about it. There's also all sorts of people talking about it, but you'll recognise Harry fans because of their avatars or URLs. You might need to get a tumblr account to browse easily. I think tumblr stacks things weirdly if you don't have an account. Just took a peak and like, the third post is a Harry fan talking about the prologue.
Have a taste of it (this is all about the prologue, not the trailer):
Bonus, here's the 'Mission Impossible' commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwBHUK3aVM0
It's really dumb lol.
Thanks.

$160 million.

Oku
So somebody anonymous edited the Wikipedia page for Dunkirk and put $70-75 million in the budget field.

But the change was reverted for being unsourced, so it's probably not true.

$70-75 million seems way too low anyway, it's gotta be closer to $100 million.

okungnyo wrote:So somebody anonymous edited the Wikipedia page for Dunkirk
Stop the presses!!!

Chrolan wrote:
Stop the presses!!!
It's so trust worthy!

Oku
Havoc1st wrote:
Chrolan wrote:
Stop the presses!!!
It's so trust worthy!
I understand. :lol:

But on the 0.01% chance that it ends up being true...hey, you heard it first here, folks!

to me, it doesn't seem like it would have required a huge budget. There's no special effects, no cg, other than paying people and locking down the town for a while, it seems like a straightforward film. It's usually the dazzle that costs so much money, and there doesn't seem to be a ton of it for this film. of course the tanks, planes, fake explosions, etc would be costly, but ....I think they could have done it for 125 million

$100 million

Taking the tax rebates into account and Nolan being the economical businessman that he is.

Are you guessing or you have a source?

If it's 100 million, that's good. That would mean the movie has to make only 200 million to get even which is doable. Any more than that, I would start worrying about losing money.

I can't even fathom a Nolan movie not making back its budget. I wouldn't want to live in that world.