Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Hey:) Does anybody know about the casting? how unknown talent can submit himself? Who is doing casting? Do you think they can do an open casting call? or it is just for chosen ones - with the agents? :(((((

T-minus 10 wrote:I really hope Nolan be objective and to condemn all the sides, also to show the real causes for this lose, and some of the lies and myth making that the british government told the people about this tragic incident.
I don't know, I don't really see that happening. This is something you would expect from a director like Paul Greengrass, but Nolan is not really into that type of objectivity I think. He's more after emotions and spectacle and plot (in a good way). Even if he sees history correctly and unbiased I don't think that he wants to make a film about that.

Elenas wrote:Hey:) Does anybody know about the casting? how unknown talent can submit himself? Who is doing casting? Do you think they can do an open casting call? or it is just for chosen ones - with the agents? :(((((
There is a castings info on IMDb Pro. I guess, there you can find the answers to all your questions.

http://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/ ... 93909.html in this article there is an interview with one of the representatives of production company that will help Nolan during filming in France. And he had already said that there is a need of thousands people to be supernumeraries. Seems Nolan wants not only shoot film with few special effects shots, but create something as David Lean's film. As for me Nolan is our generation's David Lean, but with more author's feel and Kubrick's symbolism and philosofical themes.

If Dunkirk is like Lawrence of Arabia, that it will be amazing. Lawrence is ideal epic film, I hope Nolan will create something similar, but deeper.

Hopefully, shooting on 65 mm film will force him to be more thoughtful with his framing. I love his Malick handheld but I would love to see some Lawrence of Arabia-esque vistas on display. Then he can go crazy with the handheld IMAX cameras down in the trenches and battlefield for full immersion.

DHOPW42 wrote:
T-minus 10 wrote:I really hope Nolan be objective and to condemn all the sides, also to show the real causes for this lose, and some of the lies and myth making that the british government told the people about this tragic incident.
I don't know, I don't really see that happening. This is something you would expect from a director like Paul Greengrass, but Nolan is not really into that type of objectivity I think. He's more after emotions and spectacle and plot (in a good way). Even if he sees history correctly and unbiased I don't think that he wants to make a film about that.
I agree with you that this maybe hard to see in a big budget film, but what Iliked about his past fims like The Prestige or TDK is how he able to present the subjective experience of the characters while also looking at them in a kind of objective way, think how he portrayed Batman as a figure of heroism but also someone who did huge mistakes that caused tragic incidents, or the two protagonists of The Prestige were we're shown their emotional and lovable side, but also their harsh ones.

Other interesting pieces of info from the article mentioned above :
- shooting in Dunkirk/Dunkerque will take 6 weeks, beginning on May 23h (so expected to end around July 3rd), notably on Malo-les-Bains beach (the huge beach along the city, seen in Atonement) and Dewulf dune. Early crew should arrive there in February ;
- other shooting places are expected to be in Canada and the UK ;
- shooting crew should involve 400 persons and thousands of extras.

I live 1h from there, in Lille, and often go to Dunkerque Harbour for sailing, so I hope I'll be able to see more of it ! For the anecdote, when I sailed along Dunkerque beaches in September, nearby fields in Belgium (only a handful of kilometers away) were being treated and the strong smell of it carried well onto the sea... Let me tell you it made a peculiar moment. Hope the shooting team won't be welcomed by the same fragrance !

Alecto wrote:Other interesting pieces of info from the article mentioned above :
- shooting in Dunkirk/Dunkerque will take 6 weeks, beginning on May 23h (so expected to end around July 3rd), notably on Malo-les-Bains beach (the huge beach along the city, seen in Atonement) and Dewulf dune. Early crew should arrive there in February ;
- other shooting places are expected to be in Canada and the UK ;
- shooting crew should involve 400 persons and thousands of extras.

I live 1h from there, in Lille, and often go to Dunkerque Harbour for sailing, so I hope I'll be able to see more of it ! For the anecdote, when I sailed along Dunkerque beaches in September, nearby fields in Belgium (only a handful of kilometers away) were being treated and the strong smell of it carried well onto the sea... Let me tell you it made a peculiar moment. Hope the shooting team won't be welcomed by the same fragrance !
Go son, leak the shit out of the movie, do what must be done, do not hesitate, show no mercy.

Malika Aït Gherbi Palmer, the head of Pictanovo (the regional agency promoting film and other related projects) on the film:
This story is particularly dear to his heart. This is the choice of his English soul. This is a project in which he is very invested. He is putting his own money into it, so is his wife. It's an original screenplay that we will discover in the coming weeks during our further executive production work.
http://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/ ... 93909.html