Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
theseeker9175 wrote:
MyCocaine wrote:Very interesting. Bring on a David Lean-esque war film. Or perhaps it will something entirely different.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a sci-fi with war elements and time travel.
Oddly enough, I want to see him doing a more conventional film. No sci-fi or time travel this time.
Yeah, I'm getting very exited about the idea of Nolan entering the war genre.

Interesting thing to note about Nolan doing a "conventional" film is that the one that is most conventional and least Nolan like is The Dark Knight and that's his most acclaimed, or popular.

But a summer war film. That's fuckin rad. The Great Escape has gotta be a touchstone then.

Sky007 wrote:Interesting thing to note about Nolan doing a "conventional" film is that the one that is most conventional and least Nolan like is The Dark Knight and that's his most acclaimed, or popular.

But a summer war film. That's fuckin rad. The Great Escape has gotta be a touchstone then.
I find TDK to be the most Nolan-esque (with inception in the big budget realm), and the least conventional one in his blockbuster films. TDK actually traces back all the Nolan characteristics and thematic occupations.
----------------------------

I was very sure that his next fim will be a war movie, because I remember reading a tweet back then written by Paul Franklin saying how amazing the set pieces was in Apocalypse Now (I think it will be a main influence along with The thin red line).

Lionheart wrote:Nolan right now is eating a baguette and reading the local newspaper. He is not happy.
LOL

Is this confirmed? Legit?

Sky007 wrote:Interesting thing to note about Nolan doing a "conventional" film is that the one that is most conventional and least Nolan like is The Dark Knight and that's his most acclaimed, or popular.

How could you possibly think that The Dark Knight is his most conventional when Insomnia exists?

I had a strong feeling that Dunkirk operation won't be central part in Nolan's film. Duration of shooting in Dunkirk isn't so long to say that it will be the main story of the film. He uses the same amount of time to shoot his scenes on the farm in Interstellar and it wasn't the most technically complicated part of Interstellar to shoot. Speaking about Dunkirk it's obvious that it will be battle sequences with a lot of people, explosions, special effects. It's extremely hard stuff to shoot and one month isnt enough to make this part central and key. Evacuation can be final scene of film, essence. I really think that Nolan wrote complicated and complex screenplay with many actors, twists and many layers of storytelling. To call new film a usual historical drama is way too early. It's the same as to call Interstellar usual space movie, but as we remember there is much more in it.

It's too bad some reporters doesn't even know the difference between the regular 70mm and IMAX 70mm:
“And Christopher Nolan is coming right behind me,” Quentin Tarantino said in a recent talk with Paul Thomas Anderson about “The Hateful Eight” and 70mm projection. Tarantino was referring to the fact that while The Weinstein Company had convinced 100 theaters in 44 markets to install or refurbish their 70mm capabilities, the director was implying the move was an investment in the future. After all, filmmakers like Paul Thomas Anderson are shooting in panoramic formats and Christopher Nolan— who often shoots in wide IMAX formats— has an upcoming film set for summer 2017. Now Tarantino or PTA didn’t say what that film was, but the implication is clear: you’ve got 70mm installed and someone like Nolan is going to make good use of it.
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/ ... e-20151226

Forum Pro
Law
Lord Shade wrote:I wonder how it will be titled if this is actually about the Dunkirk evacuation.
Operation Dynamo

If this isn't rated R Nolan is officially a pussy.