Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
"The fact it was a superhero film allowed us to be really subversive,” he says, adding that one particular sequence – rich New Yorkers being hauled from their Park Avenue homes by the mob – is “among the things I’m most proud of in any of the films I've made.”

“It certainly seems less fanciful now than it did,” he goes on. “I wish it had been some strange fever dream that my brother and David and I had had, and that I now looked back and thought ‘what the hell were we thinking.’ But I don’t.”
What is Nolan alluding to? That he agrees with the mob striking the rich down, when Nolan himself has at least $100 million to his name?

Dude wut? lol.£

Amazon reviews for this is absolutely horrific.

Bacon wrote:Amazon reviews for this is absolutely horrific.
I never pay attention to Amazon movie reviews. It's like paying attention to yahoo's comments section. The only thing Amazon reviews are good for are the products they sell not movie reviews. It's probably a bunch of people complaining about no character development and it was too confusing and other nonsense that people complain about this movie.

bootsy wrote:
Bacon wrote:Amazon reviews for this is absolutely horrific.
I never pay attention to Amazon movie reviews. It's like paying attention to yahoo's comments section. The only thing Amazon reviews are good for are the products they sell not movie reviews. It's probably a bunch of people complaining about no character development and it was too confusing and other nonsense that people complain about this movie.
Not to mention you don't know whether they're reviewing the movie or the product itself (as in the Blu-ray transfer or something, number of special features, type of packaging, etc... maybe some people are even reviewing the DVD for all we know). It all fits under one umbrella and it leaves a lot of muddy area still.

I saw a member with the username Double D in there who had reviewed Dunkirk twice, both times giving it 1/10.£

Quartz: Christopher Nolan’s “Dunkirk” is the rare original box-office win of 2017
https://qz.com/1169403/dunkirk-is-2017s ... inal-film/
Christopher Nolan is a champion for originality in Hollywood.

[pic of Nolan]

His war drama Dunkirk was the only wholly original live-action film among the top 25 grossing movies of 2017 at the worldwide box office, based on Box Office Mojo data. All of the other live-action successes were adaptations, remakes, and sequels.
  • Hollywood has gravitated toward familiar properties that can reliably fill theaters, with so much else competing for audiences’s attention from TV to Netflix to video games. That means rebooting old classics like It and leaning on tentpole sequels like Star Wars: The Last Jedi in the hopes of pulling three or more unequivocal blockbusters out of one property. But the commercial and critical success of breakout original films like Dunkirk this year, and smaller original titles like Get Out, Lady Bird, and Edgar Wright’s Baby Driver, show that fresh ideas that excite critics and fans can still soar at cinemas.

Dunkirk was also the only live-action movie on the list without franchise potential. Like Nolan’s Interstellar, Inception, and The Prestige before it, Dunkirk is likely to stay a standalone feature. The WWII movie, about stranded Allied forces rescued by ordinary citizens, is based on a true story. And there is no planned follow-up.

Nolan is the rare filmmaker who consistently churns out original movies that hit at the box office. His Inception and Interstellar also smashed at the box office when they were released. And Dunkirk had help this year from one of the widest recent releases in 70mm—a film format Nolan believes could save cinema because it offers an experience that can’t be replicated in a living room.

That alone is one of the main reasons he deserves his Best Director Oscar. The guy is basically saving Hollywood

Willem wrote:That alone is one of the main reasons he deserves his Best Director Oscar. The guy is basically saving Hollywood
Yep. He's honestly one of the only bright spots left in an industry increasingly getting diluted with CGI franchise crap.

dormouse7 wrote:Quartz: Christopher Nolan’s “Dunkirk” is the rare original box-office win of 2017
https://qz.com/1169403/dunkirk-is-2017s ... inal-film/
Christopher Nolan is a champion for originality in Hollywood.

[pic of Nolan]

His war drama Dunkirk was the only wholly original live-action film among the top 25 grossing movies of 2017 at the worldwide box office, based on Box Office Mojo data. All of the other live-action successes were adaptations, remakes, and sequels.
  • Hollywood has gravitated toward familiar properties that can reliably fill theaters, with so much else competing for audiences’s attention from TV to Netflix to video games. That means rebooting old classics like It and leaning on tentpole sequels like Star Wars: The Last Jedi in the hopes of pulling three or more unequivocal blockbusters out of one property. But the commercial and critical success of breakout original films like Dunkirk this year, and smaller original titles like Get Out, Lady Bird, and Edgar Wright’s Baby Driver, show that fresh ideas that excite critics and fans can still soar at cinemas.

Dunkirk was also the only live-action movie on the list without franchise potential. Like Nolan’s Interstellar, Inception, and The Prestige before it, Dunkirk is likely to stay a standalone feature. The WWII movie, about stranded Allied forces rescued by ordinary citizens, is based on a true story. And there is no planned follow-up.

Nolan is the rare filmmaker who consistently churns out original movies that hit at the box office. His Inception and Interstellar also smashed at the box office when they were released. And Dunkirk had help this year from one of the widest recent releases in 70mm—a film format Nolan believes could save cinema because it offers an experience that can’t be replicated in a living room.

I honestly would love to meet this guy and shake his hand.