Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
oh fuck my titties

why am I always the last one to board the hype train

I too was confused when we found it it's a WW2 film. But my thinking is the studio heads were really impressed with what Chris told them. Variety's headline does say "action thriller" so I assume Chris let the execs know it'll be bombastic. Otherwise, a film like this would be in a fall/winter slot.

MyCocaine wrote:
pashacules wrote:I have a very bad feeling that it won't out in summer 2017. It's serious story, war-centered with great actors. Warner might move premiere to fall 2017 to get some buzz for awards. :(
One does not simply move a release date for a Christopher Nolan film.

Also, they knew what they were doing, when the release date was set.
Exactly.

Plus look at Mad Max. It's getting plenty of Award buzz. If your film is great, the buzz will come no matter the release date.

ChristNolan wrote:I too was confused when we found it it's a WW2 film. But my thinking is the studio heads were really impressed with what Chris told them. Variety's headline does say "action thriller" so I assume Chris let the execs know it'll be bombastic. Otherwise, a film like this would be in a fall/winter slot.
I'm wondering how though? Action Thriller war movie with......teens/kids as lead? Seems more like a war drama

There's something odd about this.

Warner Brothers wouldn't give him this release date unless they thought he had a blockbuster. A WWII evacuation movie led by unknown teens coming out mid-July does not sound like a blockbuster. There's a missing piece of the puzzle still. Not saying sci-fi or fantasy (at all), but this could serve as the background to something grander.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:There's something odd about this.

Warner Brothers wouldn't give him this release date unless they thought he had a blockbuster. A WWII evacuation movie led by unknown teens coming out mid-July does not sound like a blockbuster. There's a missing piece of the puzzle still. Not saying sci-fi or fantasy (at all), but this could serve as the background to something grander.

-Vader
the relatively short shooting schedule in Dunkirk seems to be another giveaway that there's more to it.

Since Nolan always screens the film's big influences I'm sure the cast will be thrilled to watch Nolan's imposed David Lean marathon. Average run time 188 minutes.
Last edited by dafox on December 28th, 2015, 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

We are thrilled to be continuing our collaboration with Christopher Nolan, a singular filmmaker who has created some of the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful films of all time," said Greg Silverman, president of creative development and worldwide production. "Dunkirk is a gripping and powerful story and we are excited to see Chris, Emma and their cast realize it on the big screen."
- Warner Bros.
Last edited by MyCocaine on December 28th, 2015, 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The two highest grossing WWII movies -- Saving Private Ryan and... um... Pearl Harbor -- both came out during the summer.