Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
So no scoops on here?

How about he's finally going to do the Howard Hughes movie? Beatty's movie is STILL not out and no sign of it being released. It must be a total mess. Maybe Nolan has snooped into it and decided to go ahead with his, and I quote, "best script ever". It seems like Beatty is playing Hughes himself so obviously in old age.

Aili wrote:So no scoops on here?

How about he's finally going to do the Howard Hughes movie? Beatty's movie is STILL not out and no sign of it being released. It must be a total mess. Maybe Nolan has snooped into it and decided to go ahead with his, and I quote, "best script ever". It seems like Beatty is playing Hughes himself so obviously in old age.
Not with a July release date

Now Where Was I ? wrote:
Aili wrote:So no scoops on here?

Not with a July release date
You've gotta point there.

Frankmiller92 wrote:I can't believe there are still people stupid enough to think Nolan can't direct Akira

1. The "if it ain't broke don't fix it" argument does not hold water. Why? Because compared to the manga, the anime was shit. The characters and ideas weren't fully developed as a result of a limited run-time. WB plans to adapt the mangaNOT the anime. Get it right.

2. The Departed was better than Infernal Affairs. Fincher's Dragon tattoo was better than the original. Nolan's Insomnia was better than the original (no thanks in small part to Robin Williams who was robbed of an Oscar that year).

4. The film will be made one way or another, you guys want Chris Nolan or some unknown VFX turned director or worse... Juame Collet Serra.
lol no one's questioning Nolan's creative abilities. The man can do a lot of things, whether those things are necessary (like Akira), is a different question.

1) I'm pretty sure the anime is not widely regarded as shit, even if compared to the manga. You thinking it is, doesn't make it that way.
I agree, the anime was limited by its' run time and the fact that the manga itself wasn't finished when the movie came out. And how would WB make it better by adapting the manga? You think they'd be able to squeeze the manga and make a several hour movie of it better than Otomo himself did? Don't be ridiculous. If the anime was a bizzare violence fest, the manga goes even further in that (and other) departments. And how many of us could imagine Nolan making another trilogy, something this movie would probably never get anyway?

2) I think you're missing my (and I think another member pointed this out as well) point. Currently I can't imagine Hollywood being able to remake (or adapt) something that's so exclusive to Japan, without stripping it of its' essence. Comparisons to other remakes or adaptations simply don't work here.

4) And once again, I'm gonna tell you why. It's the sole fact that WB even considered people like Collet-Serra, proves that they don't even take this seriously and there's a huge chance they wouldn't allow a director (even if that was Nolan) to rewrite and make a proper film without butchering it and turning it into a westernized, watered down abomination without a soul. I think there are even bits and bobs of what the story was supposed to be on the internet. People can always google that shit.

I thought I explained myself clearly.. And I'm kind of tired of repeating myself all over again, and dedicating this much time to a speculation. So I'm done with this.

Actually, it would be really, really cool, if Nolan take on a Sherlock Holmes adaptation. Like, put many stories in one feature film, with the main conflict interacting with many side ones.

Lord Shade wrote:Actually, it would be really, really cool, if Nolan take on a Sherlock Holmes adaptation. Like, put many stories in one feature film, with the main conflict interacting with many side ones.

R. Burgundy wrote:
Lord Shade wrote:Actually, it would be really, really cool, if Nolan take on a Sherlock Holmes adaptation. Like, put many stories in one feature film, with the main conflict interacting with many side ones.
Why, Thor?

Lord Shade wrote:
R. Burgundy wrote:
Why, Thor?
Actually I think he could do a great job with it. Based on his history with Batman and Hughes, I don't think he would touch that property with a 10-mile pole given all of the recent and on-going adaptations on TV and film.

Actually, I'd really love to see Tom Cruise in a Nolan-film. Even though it's sort of an obvious choice - and Nolan is not always up for those obvious choices.

Maybe Vince Vaughn? :o

Seriously, I don't really see him doing anything that isn't his own idea from now on. Why would he want to adapt anything when he's got the power to do his own pet projects.