Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
To be honest, now that Lee Smith has an Oscar, Crowley is the next one in Nolan's crew that should get one. Except for Nolan of course. Then Hoyte.

So the modern-ish buildings in the background of several shots is grating when I watch it. It's the little things that take me out sometimes. Thankfully the film is excellent and the ending invokes such pride that I end up giving no fucks come that time.

I see a good number of tweets every week from people who are being shown Dunkirk in school.

I wonder if it will be on TV in the UK for this year's Dunkirk anniversary.

Didn’t really know where to post this but Call of Duty: WWII released a DLC map called “Dunkirk”. Looks like it’s inspired by both the set design of Atonement and Dunkirk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H7yqNPhBiI

Doesn't really look that much inspired by Dunkirk. Atonement, yes.

First TV showing Dunkirk that I know of:

MAY 12 on HBO

This tweet shows the TV ad
https://twitter.com/gabriellejaide/stat ... 4374743046

Den of Geek
HBO's film options for May 2018 are predictably great. Perhaps the highlight here is Christopher Nolan's Oscar-winning film Dunkirk.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/hbo/2486 ... r-may-2018

There are some international stations that use HBO content, for example Sky Atlantic in Ireland and UK. Their site shows Dunkirk in their Coming Soon slideshow but does not have a date for it.

Dunkirk premieres on the premium channel Sky in the UK today (Friday April 4).

Dunkirk is now streaming on Now TV in the UK.

Decider: Christopher Nolan’s ‘Dunkirk’ Is So Good, It’s Still Impressive On HBO

https://decider.com/2018/05/12/dunkirk-on-hbo/
When Christopher Nolan‘s Dunkirk hit cinemas last summer, it was billed as the rare visual feast that packed an artistic punch. This was meant to be Nolan’s passion project: a technically-dazzling film that dropped modern filmgoers into the hell of one of World War II’s most momentous episodes. Cinemas offered special 70mm and IMAX screenings of the film. The idea was that if you had to see Dunkirk, then you had to see it in the glorious technical specifications it was meant to be seen in. It’s true that some films lose their wonder when they’re shown on the small screen, and still more Oscar-bait movies turn out to be duds on reappraisal. So now that Dunkirk has made its way to HBO, is it still worth a watch?

Believe me when I say, “Absolutely.”

Dunkirk is indeed a visual masterpiece that uses overlapping timelines, gorgeous special effects, and Oscar-winning sound editing and mixing to make you feel the ever-mounting tension that overtook the British soldiers trapped on the beach at Dunkirk. The film is so meticulously constructed that you can totally forget that Operation Dynamo actually wound up succeeding. It’s a technically perfect sensory experience.

Dunkirk is also a really good movie. Nolan uses three different timelines to present three key parts of the battle: the poor souls trapped on the ground, the brave civilians who volunteer their small boats to mount a daring rescue mission, and the flying aces who provide cover above. Now, all three of these storylines are full of grim scenes of horror brought to life by Nolan’s technical prowess, but what sells all them are the actors onscreen. Dunkirk‘s ensemble cast of actors — Tom Hardy, Cillian Murphy, Mark Rylance, Kenneth Branagh, Fionn Whitehead, Anuerin Barnard, Barry Keoghan, Tom Glynn-Carney, and yes, even Harry Styles — help pull us emotionally into the loud and fiery terror of the battle. If we couldn’t see the story through these characters’ eyes, it’s likely that Nolan’s bracing film wouldn’t be much more than a cunning, but cold, spectacle.

Don’t believe what you’ve been told: Dunkirk still works on the small screen. It works in part because it’s so technically good that its exquisitely composed shots and terrifying score still work on a smaller scale. It works because the cast sells the horror of confronting war. It works because Nolan pulled off a visceral masterpiece that deserves to be seen no matter the aspect ratio.

I'd be actually quite surprised if the CoD WW2 map did NOT take inspiration from the Dunkirk movie ; the first game was pretty much a game adaptation of the main WW2 movies of its era (mostly Saving Private Ryan and Stalingrad), and cinematographic influences remained very present through the series.

Okay, the last CoD games have nothing in common with the masterpieces the two first games were (and to a lesser extent, CoD 4 and World at War), but there may still be some remains of the original idea in the team.