Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Darkline wrote:The reaction to the trailer among the general audience seems kind of meh.
What reaction by the "general audience"? Other than obsessed Nolan fans, and obsessed Styles fans, nobody's even seen it. The "general audience" won't see this until they're viewing it on their TV's at home. It's only been online for about two hours now.

hm

prince0gotham wrote:hm
confirmed shit

nolan sinks

Shady1 wrote:
Darkline wrote:The reaction to the trailer among the general audience seems kind of meh.
What reaction by the "general audience"? Other than obsessed Nolan fans, and obsessed Styles fans, nobody's even seen it. The "general audience" won't see this until they're viewing it on their TV's at home. It's only been online for about two hours now.
Jeez man it's only been an hour. Besides, the name "Nolan" has some weight today, it's almost a brand by itself. I don't see this movie grossing too much but it sure would be good enough.

Jesus Christ it's only a trailer, and the movie looks amazing so far, I don't say this as a blind Nolan fangirl. And we've still got more than half a year of promotions left, anything could happen. I'm pretty darn sure this movie will do alright in the B.O. People bitch about WWII movies, but if it manages to hit the sweet spot of quality and emotional (not overly cheesy, mind you) content, people WILL see it.

As for the awards, I'm not exactly too concerned. Sure, it's amazing, and it's been long overdue when it comes to gawd Nolan, but I usually try to find some comfort in the fact that the awards just chase the current trends, and tend overlook some of the really great stuff that comes out all the time, or not properly award them. I mean you all already know this lol. I would just love it if it turned out to be a brilliant film. Everything else is secondary.

genloovers wrote:You have a gauge on the ENTIRE general audience? Are you God?
Stop being so defensive. I want this movie to be successful as much as you. But I checked Twitter and general box office forums and there aren't many neutral fans wowed by the trailer. Some think it's good, some think it's great, some think it's messy and bad. The response isn't overwhelmingly positive. Hopefully the next trailer will do a better job at impressing neutral people. I don't doubt the movie will be great, because I have full faith in Nolan and the cast is great, but it doesn't guarantee a box office success. Then again, not every movie needs to be a huge commercial success.

Darkline wrote:Stop being so defensive. I want this movie to be successful as much as you. But I checked Twitter and general box office forums and there aren't many neutral fans wowed by the trailer. Some think it's good, some think it's great, some think it's messy and bad. The response isn't overwhelmingly positive. Hopefully the next trailer will do a better job at impressing neutral people. I don't doubt the movie will be great, because I have full faith in Nolan and the cast is great, but it doesn't guarantee a box office success. Then again, not every movie needs to be a huge commercial success.
You couldn't have possibly checked twitter for reactions because it's INNUNDATED by Harry fans. How would you manage to read enough neutral reactions to get a real gauge of how they feel about the trailer in less than two hours when you have to wade through ten thousand screaming fangirls.
Troll.

How people are already starting to doubt the box office success is mind-boggling to me. I guess you all forgot how well Interstellar did. Yes it's a different genre, but the names attached to this movie is a much bigger deal. Matthew was a hot name back then, Tom Hardy is a way hotter name now. Nolan is bigger now than ever, and the same with Zimmer. Oh yeah and the 1D documentary made like 70 million dollars. It's hardest competitor is also the Apes movie. But it's also it's only one. I don't see Valerian steal a lot of viewers from Dunkirk.

dunkirktrash wrote: You couldn't have possibly checked twitter for reactions because it's INNUNDATED by Harry fans. How would you manage to read enough neutral reactions to get a real gauge of how they feel about the trailer in less than two hours when you have to wade through ten thousand screaming fangirls.
Troll.
It's a good thing it's inundated with Harry's fans. Harry Styles is the best thing that happened to this movie (besides Nolan, of course), because his fans will drown out any negative reactions. Check boxofficetheory forums. There are some Nolan fans there, but they're more of general movie fans (and experts). Their reactions aren't as good as I hoped. We shall see, I guess. I'm not trolling. I would LOVE to be wrong. I'm not very worried, though. The movie will not tank in any case because it's Nolan (and because it's Styles.) I think Nolan had plenty of hugely successful movies
to allow himself a little less successful one. If money were the point, Nolan wouldn't have decided to film a WW2 movie anyway. I hope he and the cast win many awards for this. The movie will be great, no doubt about it. That's all I will say on the matter.

Any guesses regarding what would be the budget for the movie? Before the trailer I was thinking of around 150 million dollars like Interstellar and inception. But from the trailer it looks like less than 100 million dollars. (To be clear I am not complaining.) Movie looks like a grounded story mostly focused at that beach.