Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.

Seen on twitter:
So Tom Hardy was filming in St James Park for the new WW2 film Dunkirk. Also got Harry Styles in it

that's what i like to hear

Since this is a war movie, is it likely to be rated R? I ask because I can't really handle blood/gore, so I have to skip out on a lot of war movies. I'd hate to miss this!

Batman-News.com wrote:Since this is a war movie, is it likely to be rated R? I ask because I can't really handle blood/gore, so I have to skip out on a lot of war movies. I'd hate to miss this!
I'm interested to see what others think. There are actually 3 extras from Dunkirk on this board and they might have a better idea. I think it will be PG-13.

Nolan's recent movies have been PG-13. This film needs to convey the fear and hopelessness of being trapped like ducks in a barrel. My personal opinion is there will be plenty of destruction and bodies but I don't think he'll do heavy gore. I think the horror and fear will be seen through the actions and reactions of the soldiers and officers as well as through wide shots and selected closeups. There needs to be enough to do justice to horrible situation and the difficulty of getting the soldiers out of there. I expect bodies and maybe some blood and bloody sand and water but not see horrible injuries. I think if it ends up being PG-13 you shouldn't have a problem.

I don't expect any of the other R things to be in it like sex or drugs. I think it would be nice if this was a movie that families could go see, especially since it was an important event of WWII and British history. Seniors might like to see and I don't think they are real fans of gore either.

It could be one of those rare R-rated war movies that is a big box office hit, such as Saving Private Ryan or, more recently, American Sniper. I'm assuming Nolan and WB will play it safe and rate it PG-13, though, because $$$$$.

If they go PG-13 (They will) this will Nolan's highest grossing film behind TDK/TDKR.

Sky007 wrote:If they go PG-13 (They will) this will Nolan's highest grossing film behind TDK/TDKR.

Why do you say that? If anything I would guess the WWII setting would turn off a lot of people. I have a few friends who like Nolan but show no interest in this film just because of the setting. (Though they'll probably change their minds when we get even closer to the release date.)

Batman-News.com wrote:Since this is a war movie, is it likely to be rated R? I ask because I can't really handle blood/gore, so I have to skip out on a lot of war movies. I'd hate to miss this!
Nah Chris you'll be fine

Possibly why Tom Hardy may have been filmed in St. James Park.

I see a couple of Dunkirk texts sound like the returned soldiers were put up in the football field at St. James Park.

From "We Remember Dunkirk"
"where we were treated like heroes with cups of tea etc along all the stations along route to Exeter. We camped under tents in St James's Park football ground"

From "The Last Gentleman of the SAS"
"To an extent, a siege mentality developed after Dunkirk. Phantom's HQ, now at the hub of things in St. James's Park"