Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Masterpiece or not, it ain't a war film.

CoolwhipSpecial wrote:Masterpiece or not, it ain't a war film.
I know but I still put is in "war category", same as Valkyrie and Tarantino's Inglorious Bastards, the pianist, etc.

Biribiri wrote:
I know but I still put is in "war category", same as Valkyrie and Tarantino's Inglorious Bastards, the pianist, etc.
There's no war in that movie, fam.

The Taxman wrote:
Biribiri wrote:
There's no war in that movie, fam.
I know but it is just my particular odd way to classify some movies.

Bacon wrote:Someone needs to make a Wikipedia page about this thing. :judge:

£

R-rated or PG-13... It doesn't matter at all. It all depends on idea of the film. If Nolan directs Dunkirk as war drama the main idea of which is to condemn the war, it's cruelty, brutality and wrongness, that I will agree with you all about R-rate. But if Nolan uses war only as a tool to show interesting story about people, maybe some mysteries, then PG-13 will be completely ok.

And I feel that Nolan's film will exactly use war as a background. For me strange thing was that he visited Dunkirk to see future locations and also spent some time to visit musems, study history of operation. It's strange, because if this movie is about war, then study of history, details of the city must be done during the process of writing screenplay. As was done in Prestige, when Chris and Jonathan visited Colorado to learn something about Tesla during screenplay writing process. That's why I feel that this story is much more complex. Nolan interested in evacuation sequence, not in it's geopolitical or military part.

@pashacules....
Exactly my thoughts brother. Why would have Nolan visited Dunkirk after finishing the script? I think, he was just getting familiarized with the shooting spots & absorbing new tidbits. I also think, this is not about the war thing everybody talking about. There is something more to this than just history of Dunkirk. Maybe, Dunkirk has a strong influence on the story. Remember, WB mentioned it as a action thriller & an original screenplay of Nolan? They will be shooting in Canada also. Strange, isn't it?

SCORPIO16 wrote:@pashacules....
Exactly my thoughts brother. Why would have Nolan visited Dunkirk after finishing the script? I think, he was just getting familiarized with the shooting spots & absorbing new tidbits. I also think, this is not about the war thing everybody talking about. There is something more to this than just history of Dunkirk. Maybe, Dunkirk has a strong influence on the story. Remember, WB mentioned it as a action thriller & an original screenplay of Nolan? They will be shooting in Canada also. Strange, isn't it?
Yes, I was also curious about Canada as shooting location. Seems that he will shoot some scenes with nature. Maybe we will get something visually similar as Red Thin Line by Malick. It will be great, because that film relies only on visual part and with Nolan (who is more dynamic and better screenwriter) Dunkirk will be amazing.