Dunkirk General Information/Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Man, I hope Hoyte will be DoP again.

Official press release:
Christopher Nolan to Direct the Epic Action Thriller “Dunkirk” for Warner Bros. Pictures
Casting is underway on the ensemble to be led by unknown actors, with Mark Rylance, Kenneth Branagh and Tom Hardy in talks to join the cast

December 28, 2015 02:10 PM Eastern Standard Time
BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Warner Bros. Pictures announced today that Christopher Nolan will direct “Dunkirk” from his own original screenplay. An epic action thriller, “Dunkirk” is set during the legendary evacuation. The announcement was made by Greg Silverman, President, Creative Development and Worldwide Production.

The large scale film will be shot on a combination of IMAX 65mm and 65mm large format film photography for maximum image quality and high impact immersion. Shooting will begin in May using many of the real locations of the true-life events, which form the background for the story.

The cast will be headed by yet-to-be-cast unknowns. Mark Rylance, Kenneth Branagh and Tom Hardy are currently in talks to join the ensemble.

Nolan will also produce the film with his longtime producing partner Emma Thomas.

Silverman stated, “We are thrilled to be continuing our collaboration with Christopher Nolan, a singular filmmaker who has created some of the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful films of all time. ‘Dunkirk’ is a gripping and powerful story and we are excited to see Chris, Emma and their cast realize it on the big screen.”

Warner Bros. Pictures is distributing “Dunkirk” worldwide and has slated the film for a July 21, 2017 release. The film will be released theatrically on IMAX, 70mm, 35mm and all other screens.
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2 ... k%E2%80%9D

I find it amusing and curious they they're describing it as an "epic action thriller" rather than a war film.

So what are the chances of a dead wife in this one

BlairCo wrote:I find it amusing and curious they they're describing it as an "epic action thriller" rather than a war film.
Yeah, this phrasing got me thinking as well. It has to mean something.

ChrisTilford wrote:
Lord Shade wrote:It is PERFECT. Nolan making a film in France was my dream for a long time!
He already did it in Inception. :D
Yes, but I was hoping for an entire filming in there, like... Dunkirk, you know. :gonf:

Branagh and Rylance are good sign for us, they are not so active actors, seems that they found Nolan's screenplay very ambitious and interesting.

Lord Shade wrote:
ChrisTilford wrote:
Lord Shade wrote:It is PERFECT. Nolan making a film in France was my dream for a long time!
He already did it in Inception. :D
Yes, but I was hoping for an entire filming in there, like... Dunkirk, you know. :gonf:
I don't think that this film will be entirely shot in France. Fact that Nolan casting unknown actors in London shows us that the main storyline will be in England and with Englishmen.

I'm just curious why they call it an action thriller. Is this common with war films, like Saving Private Ryan for instance? Could that be labelled as an action thriller, or is this the sign of something else?

Guys, there is still potential for musical yo. I mean Sound of Music was set during WW II, Hardy raps, Branaugh and Rylance can sing...