Dunkirk Awards Season Discussion Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
MyCocaine wrote:
February 18th, 2018, 5:36 pm
The bias against him certainly exist. He has the entire film industry by its throat.

An honourable man in a town of pigs. Nolan is an oddity in Hollywood.

No stereotypical outburst, loss of control or sanity. Also, he doesn't play politics.

I agree, but it disgusts me since, as far as I can tell, he's the best hope Hollywood has going forward.

And yeah the awards bullcrap has never been so irrelevant. I can't wait for "Black Panther" to sweep next year's awards..... :facepalm:

MyCocaine wrote:
The bias against him certainly exist. He has the entire film industry by its throat.

No stereotypical outburst, loss of control or sanity. Also, he doesn't play politics.
He is this generation's Steven Spielberg.

natalie wrote:
February 18th, 2018, 5:39 pm
MyCocaine wrote:

He is this generation's Steven Spielberg.

He's like a blend of Speilberg (due to $$$) with Kubrick (his style of filmmaking). I.e. I guarantee you 90-95% of the next generation of young filmmakers will end up citing him as a major influence for their work even if he never wins an Oscar.

Still I want him to win one.... but I'd rather he not get political or suck up to the Hollywood system. They need him more than he needs them.

this year best and beautiful movies are dunkirk and phantom thread the two had been shot on film and finished photochemicaly and the two saw a film distribution both on 35mm and 70mm film formats and the entire hollywood system is against film this the first fact and the second this is the humanity side of the picture dunkirk shows the true survival war the reality and hollywood doesn't need that they like to lie to people to minipulate them to make them buy toys and stupid things to slave them in the proper term so don't except nolan with a movie like going to win an oscar and even for hoyte van hoytema a large format is never going to win best cinematography and even he's from holland so anyway long life to nolan and paul thomas anderson they are so bold and so great directors and an amazing legacy for future filmmakers cheers to everybody in this forum :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: :gonf: :gonf: :gonf: :gonf: :gonf: :gonf: :gonf: :gonf: :gonf: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :batman:

kamelgunner wrote:
February 18th, 2018, 8:39 pm
this year best and beautiful movies are dunkirk and phantom thread the two had been shot on film and finished photochemicaly and the two saw a film distribution both on 35mm and 70mm film formats and the entire hollywood system is against film this the first fact and the second this is the humanity side of the picture dunkirk shows the true survival war the reality and hollywood doesn't need that they like to lie to people to minipulate them to make them buy toys and stupid things to slave them in the proper term so don't except nolan with a movie like going to win an oscar and even for hoyte van hoytema a large format is never going to win best cinematography and even he's from holland so anyway long life to nolan and paul thomas anderson they are so bold and so great directors and an amazing legacy for future filmmakers cheers to everybody in this forum :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: :gonf: :gonf: :gonf: :gonf: :gonf: :gonf: :gonf: :gonf: :gonf: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :batman:
Bouncing off this... does anyone else feel like the quality of filmmaking is doing downhill? Like... even the films with Oscar nominations/buzz are disappointing.

It's not just this year either. I was disappointed by the films I saw last year which were up for Oscars. (Moonlight, La La Land, Arrival all left me feeling kinda empty... honestly, I saw "Silence" a few months back and liked it better than any other 2016 movie. Shame it only got a cinematography nomination...)

I tend to like older cinema and arthouse cinema moreso anyway... so it might just be me. But does anyone else feel like most of the industry is lacking in talent (outside Lord Nolan of course lol)?

of course my friend when you see what mr nolan did in dunkirk was something balsy and very artistic it's around lawrence of arabia and the thin red line even somehow ryan's daughter by some framing and large format portraiture for example the shots framing faces are brilliant he did basically an art piece une une oeuvre-d'art tout simplement and the other are really clowns around him so he's like the one seeing person rejected by the blinds :batman: :batman: :batman: :batman: :batman:

and a fact social medias are somehow also responsible of the dying and struggling of cinema and also the digital technolgies in every aspects they killed the essence of what a human being is what he must accomplish so on and so forth they're like making the world smaller and this is the complete opposite of what we need humans needs to imagine to think to experience the reality not to live it behind a screen chris sees the world like that as an experience he does everything for real he wants the best quality possible this is something very normal as a human being as a smart and bright person unfortunately few are thinking like that CHRISTOPHER NOLAN save us :batman: :batman: :batman: :batman: :batman: :batman: :batman: :batman:

Well at least it did get one Bafta. So yeah, iam still hoping its going to win some Oscars soon. But i got my award yesterday. Iam from the Netherlands, and i went specially to see Mr Nolan. And i got what i wanted. A beatiful picture, so proud of it. :D