things that do not add up:

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
ian
Hi all...

i registered so i could perhaps get some satisfying answers. just watched the film yesterday and some things bug me. i'm open to logical reasonable answers to help clarify things that, to me, are a hindrance from my enjoying the film. so here they are:

- it was already stated before that the relativity in miller's planet is 1 hour equals 7 years, but when they dropped into the planet, seemingly for only less than an hour, they ended up losing 25 years? what's wrong with this math?

- why couldnt they analyze miller's planet's condition before they decide to drop in? that feel un-scientist-like to me.

- one astronaut get wiped up by a tidal wave. still, he was wearing a helmet and the water is shallow, so could they say for certain he was dead? why didnt they try to hover above the wave and look out for him, just to be sure?

- re: miller's planet. they landed the ship on the water, so obviously they knew beforehand the water is shallow. if they have learned about this, why havent they also learned about the giant tidal waves?

- 3 astronauts on 3 nearby planets could ping earth through a wormhole, but they could not communicate with each other? that could certainly help elevate the loneliness.

- what's the point of cooper having a son in this film? obviously he only care about his daughter, and that's the bond that carry the film- a father-daughter's love. so, again, what's the point of having cooper having a son at all? it serves no purpose plot wise, instead making cooper look like biased shitty dad to his son.

- when cooper is transmitting morse codes, how does tapping the dust get the hand of the watch to move? how did cooper know he could do that when he just got there and has not yet sufficient time to learn the rules inside this blackhole? and that watch has been on the book shelf for how long, and the hand is still twitching morse codes after all this time?

- and what kind of data was he transmitting anyway? what could he learn by floating through a space library when he just got there? it would only take a few seconds of film time to let us in on some of the data.

- so, i assumed it was one of saturn's moons that became humanity's second home. was this option unavailable when nasa sent 18 astronauts through a wormhole?

- why would cooper need to steal a single ship to go to brand's planet? why couldnt he convince murph and nasa to set up a proper expedition and send a team there instead?

2+2=5
sorry

-Vader

R U 4 real?

In b4 lock.

Anyway, 9+10=21
Oh wait, no it's not. Sorry, but what's the point of this thread? I'm pretty sure this thread is unnecessary.

ian
the point of this thread is to get some quick answers. i could browse through other threads and maybe i'll find some answers there, but that would take longer.

second point of this thread is... if it's not obvious already, i want to point out that for all its hype about being scientifically accurate, this film feels just as 'scientific' as any emmerich's films, and as sappy too.

easily the worst nolan film, if not second worst. my opinion, of course.

ian wrote: - what's the point of cooper having a son in this film? obviously he only care about his daughter, and that's the bond that carry the film- a father-daughter's love. so, again, what's the point of having cooper having a son at all? it serves no purpose plot wise, instead making cooper look like biased shitty dad to his son.
everything else in this thread is retarded but this is sorta true

Try going to Reddit. I'm pretty sure they're better than us at explaining all those points.

ian
@mchekhov 2: Chek Harder
if you want to call out something is retarded, you should back it up. otherwise it's just gossip. and i'd be happy to be proven why it's retarded though.

@Havoc1st:
edit: ok then. since you put it nicely.

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:
ian wrote: - what's the point of cooper having a son in this film? obviously he only care about his daughter, and that's the bond that carry the film- a father-daughter's love. so, again, what's the point of having cooper having a son at all? it serves no purpose plot wise, instead making cooper look like biased shitty dad to his son.
everything else in this thread is retarded but this is sorta true
I think he's there for a point of contrast. It is kind of shitty to use him mostly as a device, since Tom's dialogue is uncharacteristically shitty. Everything he says is bratty, dickish, and makes him inherently unlikable from the start. Since he's mean to Murph and Cooper, we're meant not to notice or care that his dad doesn't really give much of a shit about him either.

His presence makes Murph more likable and her connection to Cooper more important and emotionally accessible, while it uses the domestic drama of science vs ...not faith but...technophobia and anti-science? as a symbolic undercurrent of the adult scenes with Murph and Tom. That's the whole point of cross-cutting between Earth and Mann's planet stuff later into the film, they're symbolically related to eachother and thus make sense to cross-cut between them.

-Vader

ian wrote:Hi all...

i registered so i could perhaps get some satisfying answers. just watched the film yesterday and some things bug me. i'm open to logical reasonable answers to help clarify things that, to me, are a hindrance from my enjoying the film. so here they are:

- it was already stated before that the relativity in miller's planet is 1 hour equals 7 years, but when they dropped into the planet, seemingly for only less than an hour, they ended up losing 25 years? what's wrong with this math?
The Ranger was still far enough from Millers planet for it to have to take a lot of time to get down. Spacetravel is slow. Getting back up and then meeting back up with the Endurance almost certainly took even more time.
- why couldnt they analyze miller's planet's condition before they decide to drop in? that feel un-scientist-like to me.
Well thats why they sent Miller in the first place. But as CASE said, the initally data she sent out before the wave hit was all they had and they thought it was solid.
- one astronaut get wiped up by a tidal wave. still, he was wearing a helmet and the water is shallow, so could they say for certain he was dead? why didnt they try to hover above the wave and look out for him, just to be sure?
dude
- re: miller's planet. they landed the ship on the water, so obviously they knew beforehand the water is shallow. if they have learned about this, why havent they also learned about the giant tidal waves?
I dont have a complete explaination for as to how they knew the water was shallow but its not too hard to theorize how, and if all else fails, a little suspension of disbelief.
- 3 astronauts on 3 nearby planets could ping earth through a wormhole, but they could not communicate with each other? that could certainly help elevate the loneliness.
I dont see how this is relevant. Im sure there are a myriad of reasons why thats not an option but it has almost no impact on the film itself. And with the distances between planets how much communication could they really do?
- what's the point of cooper having a son in this film? obviously he only care about his daughter, and that's the bond that carry the film- a father-daughter's love. so, again, what's the point of having cooper having a son at all? it serves no purpose plot wise, instead making cooper look like biased shitty dad to his son.
While its fair to say that the film favors the Murph-Cooper relationship the only part where Tom feels completely excluded is at the end. And unlike Murph, Tom is more grown up and essentially has his shit together, Donald even says "Tom'll be alright but you gotta make things right with Murph." And even then Tom is still an emotional punch to the gut during the 23 Years of Messages scene.

when cooper is transmitting morse codes, how does tapping the dust get the hand of the watch to move? how did cooper know he could do that when he just got there and has not yet sufficient time to learn the rules inside this blackhole? and that watch has been on the book shelf for how long, and the hand is still twitching morse codes after all this time?
OK. So Cooper isnt "tapping the dust" to the get the hand of the watch to movie. Hes literally harnessing gravity. And I forget where but I believe in the Kip Thorne book about the film he says that Cooper had been in the Tesseract long enough to have mastered it. And the watch wasnt on the shelf for all that time. All that mattered is that Cooper had gone to that moment in time to manipulate it. It probably wasnt there long, but it doesnt matter when youre in a Tesseract. You just have to go to it for when it was there. And i dont see why it would have stopped twitching after all those years. Its not like anyone was using it.
- and what kind of data was he transmitting anyway? what could he learn by floating through a space library when he just got there? it would only take a few seconds of film time to let us in on some of the data.
Professor Brand was working on an equation to harness gravity, but couldnt complete it because he didnt have the quantum data he needed that lives inside a black hole. When TARS and Cooper get their booties dropped in the Tesseract, TARS has the data, and when Cooper finally understands why hes there and what hes meant to be doing, he has TARS translate the data into morse code so he can feed into the watch. And we cant really be let in on the data because, well...I dont think we have it in real life
- so, i assumed it was one of saturn's moons that became humanity's second home. was this option unavailable when nasa sent 18 astronauts through a wormhole?
One of Saturns moons? What? Nooo. Cooper Station and Friends were only orbiting Saturn because thats where the Wormhole was. They eventually planned on transporting people through to go to Edmunds' planet.
- why would cooper need to steal a single ship to go to brand's planet? why couldnt he convince murph and nasa to set up a proper expedition and send a team there instead?
Im sure he did. Im sure he told them all about what happened, but its not important. They say to never repeat something twice in storytelling, and Im pretty sure this could fall under that. Bottom line: why waste time showing that when the ending montage we got was so much better. Cooper and TARS stealing a Ranger to go back and get Amelia and continue to explore the cosmos. Its much better cineamatically.

did this on my phone so forgive the typos teehee