So I had an exciting idea regarding the IMAX cells...

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
I work as a professional archivist/photographer. A few years ago I invested in a Nikon Super Coolscan 9000ED. A ~$18,000 film scanner widely regarded as one of the best in the industry. My to copies of the film unfortunately only came with 35mm crops on the IMAX cells, but I had an idea.
After seeing all the really cool film cells being posted, I thought many of them deserved to be better preserved as there is yet no 4K/8K version of the film to pull stills from.
This Nikon scanner is capable of scanning at a REAL OPTICAL resolution of 4000dpi, so for an IMAX cell, that's around 8000x4000 in real, uninterpolated resolution.
If anyone has a particularly great cell, and would like to share it in it's full glory with the world, I would be super excited to do some profession, RAW scans for the community. It would in no way damage the cell, so you would receive it back in it's original condition. I have experience handling film, so no armature hour here.
So before you sell your's on ebay, or hide it away in your collection, consider allowing it to be scanned in it's full IMAX glory so we can have awesome 8K interstellar wallpapers and graphics.
If you're interested, send me a DM and I'd be happy to share any details or answer any questions, and of course, any scans would be posted here in their full loss-less glory!

Super Coolscan 9000 is the best name for a scanner I can think of

But Isn't an ultra blu ray or something coming out later this year?

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:Super Coolscan 9000 is the best name for a scanner I can think of

Not for another ~18 month, and even then 4K comes nowhere near capturing the native resolution of 70MM IMAX.

Havoc1st wrote:Image

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:Super Coolscan 9000 is the best name for a scanner I can think of

wait what?

Cilogy wrote:

wait what?
UHD or 4K (not fully 4k http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1742 ... same-thing) is an update to the Blu-Ray standard which will allow for 4k movies to come on a new blu ray disk. They will be available later this year once licensing is sorted out and HEVC decoding becomes more prevalent. This UHD Blu-Ray's will probably be packaged in combo packs like their 3D Blu Ray counterparts

Personally I will make the move to UHD Blu Ray once an internal drive is available AND I can rip them with MakeMKV or similar program (only reason I get blu rays is so i can have a DRM free movie without pirating it)

wow