Favorite portrayal of Murph

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
shauner111 wrote:
LelekPL wrote:I actually liked Foy the least. Granted she is nowhere near some of the bad performances of other child actors but she failed to elicit an emotional response from me in probably the most essential moment of the film - her saying goodbye to her father. I really enjoyed her performance up to that moment.

Chastain is an overrated actress so far into her career but in Interstellar she worked fine enough. I actually chocked up during her video messages (granted that was more due to McC's performance) and she had a couple of moments to shine.

Burstyn is the highlight for me. She was able to sell to me that last scene with ease. And it's a tough concept to pull off - literally no one can relate to that scenario - of saying goodbye to your younger father while dying of old age. But in that scene she had some of that child's vulnerability that made us able to relate. Plus she also managed to perform an elder's wisdom at the same time.

So yeah, Burstyn for me!
What did she have to do to get an emotional response from you?? Her acting is fantastic there.

Chastain overrated. Yeaaaaaaah, no.
I don't know. She just didn't. What answer do you want from? My emotions are not something that I can choose or you can convince me. No one can convince me to that, not even me. It is just my subjective reaction. Much like yours. Her crying felt artificial to me and the scene a little rushed.

As for Chastain her best perfomance was in The Help but even there she didn't really floor me. You might have a different opinion but I never saw her in anything that actually wowed me. Unlike many great actresses that are out there... Anne Hathaway, Kate Winslet, Cate Blanchett, etc.

i'm with the consensus (1. foy, 2. burstyn, 3. chastain) here. foy killed it.

MURPH

When?

COOPER

[Silence.]

right in the heart. i was impressed with burstyn. she understood the character and tied the movie together beautifully. less so with chastain. like, she's fine, and she gets some scenes very right. she just seems like she's acting, though, and some of her lines come across unnatural as a result ("the e... quation?" always bothers me).

Foy for me. But the fact that some of you are saying Chastain was meh...that's funny. She was perfect for what she had to do in the center of the film. She didn't have physical one on one contact with Cooper. The emotional core of this movie is in the first act with Foy. And Chastain did a great job in her scenes, which were also difficult to do, like the first message. Her scenes with Caine and Casey Affleck. She did very well.

Chastain had a difficult role to play but she did good.foy really surprised me having seen her horrible performance in twilight
she really did a great job.burstyns end narration gives me chills

Honestly I can't choose only one of them. Because they perfectly blend into each other in a one single great performance. Mackenzie was totally amazing and emotional, and Jessica became one of my favorite actresses after this role. And Ellen Burstyn was right in the place the best way possible, of course. Great performance by three great actresses, some of the finest actresses of our time. And Murph herself was definetely the main female character of Interstellar, not supporting in any case.

Foy by far it showed the innocence and maturity and comedy and sadness of the character. :gonf:

Chastain just tweeted this:

antovolk wrote:Chastain just tweeted this:
Lol

MERF

Merrrrrrrveee! Burfffffff!