Something I don't understand (SPOILERS)

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
I'm sure this has probably been up before but I'd rather not go digging through spoiler-laden articles as i like to figure out most things myself.. but this is one thing I can't wrap my head around :shock: :

So I understand how Cooper was able to communicate back to Murph in the end and facilitate the rest of the events in the movie. What I don't get is how the early events in the movie could have occured where Cooper was communicating to Murph (with the bookshelves falling down, the message of "stay", etc) if Cooper had not arrived at the black hole yet. Is this a plot hole or there an explanation for this?
Last edited by stanley on November 24th, 2014, 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

In the tesseract, Cooper can interfere in all times at the same time, so there is no before or after.

darkvadd7 wrote:
In the tesseract, Cooper can interfere in all times at the same time, so there is no before or after.
But wouldn't he have to get there first to be able to communicate back in the first place?

Would it help if we thought of it as an infinite loop?
Because I'm not sure alternate universes do exist in this film.

Ruth wrote:Would it help if we thought of it as an infinite loop?
That was the only explanation I could up with (alternate universe / parallel timelines or something) Even as an infinite loop though, I still don't get how he could originally be communicating back if he hadn't gotten to the black hole yet.

stanley wrote:
Ruth wrote:Would it help if we thought of it as an infinite loop?
That was the only explanation I could up with (alternate universe / parallel timelines or something) Even as an infinite loop though, I still don't get how he could originally be communicating back if he hadn't gotten to the black hole yet.
But that's pretty much the point of infinite loops - you can't find neither the beginning nor the end of them, they're just repeating over and over again. It's almost like when Cooper first sends out the message "STAY", before realizing that he must let it all continue in order to succeed - then he sends the NASA coordinates.

stanley wrote:
I'm sure this has probably been up before but I'd rather not go digging through spoiler-laden articles as i like to figure out most things myself.. but this is one thing I can't wrap my head around :shock: :

So I understand how Cooper was able to communicate back to Murph in the end and facilitate the rest of the events in the movie. What I don't get is how the early events in the movie could have occured where Cooper was communicating to Murph (with the bookshelves falling down, the message of "stay", etc) if Cooper had not arrived at the black hole yet. Is this a plot hole or there an explanation for this?
Both events are happening mutually.

First time you see the scene you are looking from one side.
Second time you are watching it unfold from other side.

I always thought it was the alternate universe.
Nothing else seem to make sense to me. But i can't explain why.

Havoc1st wrote:
I always thought it was the alternate universe.
Nothing else seem to make sense to me. But i can't explain why.
Where did that came from ?

Alternative to what ?

There are no alternate universes in this film.