Interstellar Analysis: Religious Symbolism/Themes

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
I think it's a very agnostic film. The revelation at the end is Cooper's theory. The viewer could have a different one. If you want to find some religious undertones, you still can by the end of the film, which is left ambiguous enough.

Still I like, Cooper's, scientific approach more

braungeo123 wrote:I thought I would rehash this a little bit. I am not necessarily espousing my views on religion, but this is what I got from the movie. I felt like it was a big rejection of religion in some ways and Nolan did it through embracing religious allegories throughout the film, the loud church-organ score, and these all powerful aliens/gods who are here to save us. The movie plays on the religious themes and connotations until it completely rejects them in the big reveal during the tesseract scene. Coop was the ghost, not "them", and "them" were future humans, not gods or aliens. Therefore, this movie is the ultimate humanist movie if you ask me. Thoughts?
I think it's more of a pure love letter to science than a necessarily humanistic approach. It's a rejection of the supernatural while embracing the unknown limits of the universe. It paints a sweeping picture of how limited our intelligence and understanding of nature and the universe is, while championing science as the key method to helping us further attain understanding. Nolan's basically asking the world to keep looking forward, to keep asking questions, and to never think you're able to -truly- understand the workings of nature.

Hey I've really enjoyed all of this. Not as much the pages where some were arguing if God does or does not exist, but overall I think this a very fun discussion!

Anyway, some of my thoughts:

I think this is really great because you could very easily say he draws you in with a bunch of theological ideas and concepts and metaphors, but in the end seems to be a movie that disproves God. On the flip side you can view it very simply as a space adventure that is an allegory/metaphor or whatever for God that even demonstrates the possibility of a being who is able to move through time (like Brand describes the 5th dimensional beings) which is something many spiritual people will profess that God can do.

It's great because it could CLEARLY be a religious film and it could CLEARLY be an anti-religious film.

Oftentimes we see what we are looking for, whether the artist intended it or not. I think this could be the case here with several of these ideas, but that's okay. I also think many of the ideas were likely included by Nolan to make us think, or, maybe, just for fun! Writers and filmmakers love to make references to other media in pop-culture or even subtle references to films past, and I think this can also be the case here.

I thought it was cool when people pointed out that Murph was 33 when she figured everything out but...isn't she 35? She was 10 when cooper left, it took them 2 years to reach the wormhole, then they spent 23 years on Miller's planet.

10+2+23=35

As far as the trinity goes (I'm Christian, but I view the Godhead differently than traditional trinitarians do), I think of it more like this:

Cooper is the literal Father of Murph and Tom
Cooper is the Son because he sacrifices himself to save mankind
Cooper is the Holy Spirit because he communicates the message to Murphy

Also I loved when someone pointed out that he talks to her through books. He used logical, tangible things (evidences), combined with love and feelings so that she would understand.