What are Interstellar's Flaws?

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
It has them. Discuss.
I'll begin with this: the last ten minutes should be cut. They shouldn't exist. They lack purpose, and distract from, deafen, and limit the poetry of the third act. Were the script the product of a screenwriting class, any teacher worth his salt would write a series of huge red Xs over the last few pages of the screenplay. Cooper's arc is the following: win his daughter's affection and forgiveness, save the world, and self-actualize his potential. Murphy's arc is this: forgive her father, let go of anger and rage, and, also, to save the world. Each character has specific methods of doing this, but the broad purpose is the same. The film's central problem, directly interconnected to the two main characters, is saving humanity. All of the above are satisfied prior to Cooper waking up in the hospital. By using the narrative, thematic, and poetic device of the tesseract bookshelf, together Cooper and Murphy save the world. Together. They even share a figurative, semi-literal, reunion. Every narrative and thematic throughline throughout the entire film is beautifully interwoven into one mind-bending sequence, so, why go on?

I propose the film should have cut with Cooper drifting in space, recognizing the space station by Saturn. It's there he realizes what he's done has worked, and we're left to wonder mankind's future. This conclusion works on several levels. The reunion is no longer Hollywood hamfistery that literalizes a lyrical cinematic moment into sappy sentimentality. When Cooper meets his daugher, it's moving, but gratuitous and redundant. Additionally, Cooper's fate is left ambiguous, as is humanity's fate. We see the space station—obviously on some level the plan has worked—but we're called upon our own optimism, our own sense of discovery, our own ability to reach fer the starrzzz, to believe humanity's future has been saved. The ending seems bizarrely self defeating and it's not like Nolan to be so literal, which is why I wasn't surprised when I learned it's the ending of Jonah's original draft. Don't get me wrong, I get it. Adam and Eve with Brand and Cooper, Cooper's last final adventure and his sense of discovery is preserved. I understand these things, but they're unnecessary. Interstellar comes full circle, but it's ten minutes before the credits hit.

-Vader
Last edited by Vader182 on November 7th, 2014, 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Interesting. I would like to hear Nolan's response to that. Those last 10 minutes are still in the film for a reason.

For me the ending shouldn't have had any dialogue, starting from when Cooper left Murphs' deathbed. It should have been just the music playing only. You know, something like TDKR.

I didn't particularly have a problem with the ending.
The only thing for me was that I felt they could have fleshed out Coop leaving and his turmoil a little more, I thought he just said yes too quickly and that scene was a little rushed, otherwise absolutely nothing.

I didn't feel the final reunion with old Murph and Cooper, unnecessary, as said withthin film's language, when her many relatives closed her in. And did the film end with Brand? Fuck that, it should've ended with Cooper getting off the station with his R2... I mean Tars.

m4st4 wrote:
I didn't feel the final reunion with old Murph and Cooper, unnecessary, as said withthin film's language, when her many relatives closed her in. And did the film end with Brand? Fuck that, it should've ended with Cooper getting off the station with his R2... I mean Tars.
lol I definitely didn't mind the film ending with Brand. It showed that both plan A and B were possible, after all. My main problem with the ending was more with Cooper not giving a single fuck about his son during the final reunion. Not even a single mention of him. It kind of sucks, when you think about it. Other than that - I don't have any problems. At least not yet.

Tars
His witty and sarcastic personnality was a great idea, but not terribly well executed. I think he made me laugh once and did not have a great voice

Now Where Was I ? wrote:Tars
His witty and sarcastic personnality was a great idea, but not terribly well executed. I think he made me laugh once and did not have a great voice
Lol this is exactly how I felt about him.

On the contrary, for me TARS didn't have a single flat line, or joke. Theatre audience reacted pretty damn well whenever he said something as well. At first I was 'woah, are they serious, he is weird' but immediately after they launched he was great.
Case: 'Tars talks for both of us.'

Vader182 wrote:It has them. Discuss.
-Vader
Yes it does.