What are Interstellar's Flaws?

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
thegreypilgrim wrote: Which scenes?
They literally DIAGRAM to the audience. With paper AND a white board. Come on. It's literally illustrating stuff to us the way they do in a classroom. I'm a little bit studied on this stuff and took astronomy, and the explinations mirror those in a classroom. Like, literally. It's amongst the most nakedly expository dialogue in anything I've ever seen.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
They literally DIAGRAM to the audience. With paper AND a white board. Come on. It's literally illustrating stuff to us the way they do in a classroom. I'm a little bit studied on this stuff and took astronomy, and the explinations mirror those in a classroom. Like, literally. It's amongst the most nakedly expository dialogue in anything I've ever seen.

-Vader
You're right. But the nerd in me who finds that stuff interesting didn't care and actually enjoyed it.

Vader182 wrote:I wish Nolan used mostly cgi, shot digitally, and took no risks.
Frankly, I wish Nolan had just completely scrapped the idea of ever directing Interstellar from the get-go. Then I wouldn't be sitting here slogging through countless derivative conversations about its imperfections. Ambition, schmambition!

Just occurred to me: logically, the storyline shouldn't even exist.
This is because the story hinges so heavily on travelling through the wormhole and Cooper discovering the tesseract and communicating quantum data.

These events cannot be possible, because for humanity to evolve into interstellar beings, Cooper needs to enter the tesseract, which cannot be built because they haven't got the quantum data yet.

The only way this story can work is if the tesseract was not created by anyone, that it was a natural occurrence within the wormhole. However, we're given the impression that the tesseract was man-made because it nicely ejects Cooper within miles of the space station to be rescued. Very calculated.

Do I make sense?
Last edited by ZenmasterYap on November 10th, 2014, 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

But after Murph was able to solve the theory of gravity, that eventually led to the building of the NASA station, so who knows what Murph was able to find over those many years...
Last edited by BlairCo on November 10th, 2014, 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZenmasterYap wrote:
Just occurred to me: logically, the storyline shouldn't even exist.

This is because the story hinges so heavily on travelling through the wormhole and Cooper discovering the tesseract and communicating quantum data.

These events cannot be possible, because for humanity to evolve into interstellar beings, Cooper needs to enter the tesseract, which cannot be built because they haven't got the quantum data yet.

The only way this story can work is if the tesseract was not created by anyone, that it was a natural occurrence within the wormhole. However, we're given the impression that the tesseract was man-made because it nicely ejects Cooper within miles of the space station to be rescued. Very calculated.

Do I make sense?
You want to spoiler tag that stuff. Also, no.
Time doesn't exist in the fifth dimension, so our perspective on causality is irrelevant. There's a million thought experiments about this if you want to google it.

-Vader

You do make sense but while it isn't mentioned in the film I believe this can be resolved by the idea of parallel universes. The human civilization which constructs the wormhole are extra dimensional being who are explicitly shown to have the ability to operate within 5 dimensional space; 3 dimensions of space and 2 dimensions of time. If we accept this as a fact then it isn't too far fetched to say that these being who can manipulate time would be able to access these alternate timelines and construct a wormhole connecting them. It's all theoretical physics anyways.
Last edited by Addicted2Movies on November 10th, 2014, 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

ZenmasterYap wrote:Just occurred to me: logically, the storyline shouldn't even exist.

Do I make sense?
They are impossible only in a linear view of time. The Tesseract is beyond time as we know it, allowing a stable causality loop to take place. Cooper sends the quantum data to Murph, who uses it to save humanity, who evolve into beings that eventually build the Tesseract that allows Cooper to send the quantum data... repeat ad infinitum. This sequence of events is logically consistent when viewed from outside the normal linear-time perspective. The loop does not have a start or end, it just... is.

Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
I'm kinda studied on this stuff, and if I were gonna explain a new orbital plan to a colleague, I'd use a whiteboard. ;)

I really didn't like:
- the editing in some spots, namely the early Earth scenes, though it wasn't nearly as infurating as my issues with TDKR's editing

- much of the dialogue, it was way too obvious in some spots. Mann seemed to be explaining everything he was doing. The tessaract scene also has too much explanation, with TARS essentially being there just for the purpose of having everything explained to the audience

- the narrative seemed messy, again, much like TDKR
could change with multiple viewings though