What are Interstellar's Flaws?

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Demo wrote:You have problems accepting opinions that contradict your own
Oh no, just anargumented ones.

I was scratching my head afterwards at Cooper's epiphany in the fifth dimension. He all of the sudden was just rushed with this wave of understanding that humans some distant time in the future were able to control time and what not?
This may be less of a flaw and more of my general misunderstanding.

Demo wrote:Music can really do wonders to mediocre movies.
That, i can agree with you. But not in context of Interstellar.

BroskiSabor wrote:
I was scratching my head afterwards at Cooper's epiphany in the fifth dimension. He all of the sudden was just rushed with this wave of understanding that humans some distant time in the future were able to control time and what not?
Considering the fact that the
5th dimensional stuff focused on Cooper's room means that the "beings" in charge of the tesseract knew of Cooper and the pivotal point in which the leaving of Earth became a possibility, and they knew that Cooper had to do it because they were in capable of doing it themselves (somehow?). Cooper thinking that it's the future humans who are allowing him to do that is not that unreasonable a conclusion to come to. And it's just his thought. It could be aliens or God or something else that allows him to access the 3 dimensional version of a world in 5 dimensions. Cooper could be wrong, it's just what he thinks at the time, hence why it's so important that he save the humans' future timeline.

Bacon wrote:
BroskiSabor wrote:
Considering the fact that the
5th dimensional stuff focused on Cooper's room means that the "beings" in charge of the tesseract knew of Cooper and the pivotal point in which the leaving of Earth became a possibility, and they knew that Cooper had to do it because they were in capable of doing it themselves (somehow?). Cooper thinking that it's the future humans who are allowing him to do that is not that unreasonable a conclusion to come to. And it's just his thought. It could be aliens or God or something else that allows him to access the 3 dimensional version of a world in 5 dimensions. Cooper could be wrong, it's just what he thinks at the time, hence why it's so important that he save the humans' future timeline.
Interesting. I kind of just accepted it as fact when watching but I like the idea of it being Coop's (wrong) first impression of what's going on. Seems so much more likely that there's someone else pulling the strings.

I like the idea that Cooper is right, if for no other reason than it makes the appealing point that we are the ones who need to and can help ourselves, whether across dimensions and time or in everyday life. That fits with Nolan's thematic implications I think.

I find it extremely interesting that this film has two groups of people who each have a major problem.

There are those who ignore or deny the existence of flaws solely because it is a Nolan movie, and there are those who are trying to point out as many flaws as possibly solely because it is a Nolan movie.

I'm still writing up my formal analysis of the film, but I think everyone can agree that there are some problems with the dialogue. Most of it is fine, but some of it is overwrought. On a second viewing, things like Brand's love monologue settled a little better in the context of the whole film, but it still could have used some editing. I think Nolan's idealism about the thematic elements of the film (or any of his films) want him to include these profound soliloquies, but the situation doesn't always warrant it. Gordon's Dark Knight speech and Old Murph's speech I thought were examples of good times to use that technique, but some of Coops musings in the beginning and Mann's speech to Coop dented the realism that Nolan uses in those scenes. Finding the balance between when to use "big picture" dialogue and when to keep it more subtle is something I think Nolan can continue to work on. Luckily, this is not the most egregious flaw (in my opinion).

Guys, guys... you're all missing the biggest (and only) flaw in Interstellar:
The teaser monologue was cut completely.

Bacon wrote:I find it extremely interesting that this film has two groups of people who each have a major problem.

There are those who ignore or deny the existence of flaws solely because it is a Nolan movie, and there are those who are trying to point out as many flaws as possibly solely because it is a Nolan movie.
Bacon just dropped some knowledge. This thread is an exemplar to the above mentioned notion.