Interstellar General Film Discussion Thread

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
I didn't even know what the character's name was until I looked it up online. He's the most worthless secondary character I've seen in a film for a while.

antovolk wrote:Also remember that line from McC that NO one understood from that clip in response to Anne's "what makes you think I'm not"?

"nowhere near as cute"
I understood the word cute but that was about it. :lol:

Wait... he has a name??

Nah. I didn't mind him tbh. Yeah, he didn't have much to do plot-wise, but it's not like he ruined the film. It was actually nice to see Murph interact with someone else.

I thought he was for sure a necessary character. Just cause he had little to do doesn't mean he's worthless. He definitely helped better the film.

CoRohr wrote:
braungeo123 wrote:
slimshady247 wrote:Yes to which?
I mean, I'm just confused as to how he could be in the tesseract causing things to happen even though all that time has passed and he's in the tesseract after those things are already supposed to have happened.
The point is that it is a loop. They always happened, and they always will happen. That's why we see the "ghost" at the beginning of the film before we know Cooper is the ghost. Cooper at that point does not know that he is the one that caused these events until he steps outside time and does so. Time is not a beginning, middle, and end as we perceive it. It is just moments that have always existed and will always exist.
so was murph already old, assumed to have failed to figure out the equation at the moment Coop enter the black hole, since there was a time dilation of 50-70 years from being so close to it. This all changed however when he entered the tesseract and gave murph the necessary information
Ok, now you all have me re-evaluating whether I truly understand what I thought I had come to understand :lol:

So even though Murph was
Ellen Burstyn's age when Cooper entered the black hole, Coop effectively re-wrote the events of time subsequent to his leaving earth to the point where Murph has succeeded in solving the equation and saving humanity by the corresponding point in time that Cooper enters the black hole?
LOL, does that make any sense? :wtf: :think:
Last edited by lcbaseball22 on November 13th, 2014, 4:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

What is life?

swishbig wrote:What is life?
A very interesting Question you propose there ;)

let me help you out there.

*Cracks Knuckles* How much time you got? .... nvmd I'll go anyway.

It all started in the mind. Kenned states it best in his "Moon" Speech September 12, 1962
"No man can fully grasp how far and how fast we have come, but condense, if you will, the 50,000 years of man¹s recorded history in a time span of but a half-century. Stated in these terms, we know very little about the first 40 years, except at the end of them advanced man had learned to use the skins of animals to cover them. Then about 10 years ago, under this standard, man emerged from his caves to construct other kinds of shelter. Only five years ago man learned to write and use a cart with wheels. Christianity began less than two years ago. The printing press came this year, and then less than two months ago, during this whole 50-year span of human history, the steam engine provided a new source of power.

Newton explored the meaning of gravity. Last month electric lights and telephones and automobiles and airplanes became available. Only last week did we develop penicillin and television and nuclear power, and now if America's new spacecraft succeeds in reaching Venus, we will have literally reached the stars before midnight tonight.

This is a breathtaking pace, and such a pace cannot help but create new ills as it dispels old, new ignorance, new problems, new dangers. Surely the opening vistas of space promise high costs and hardships, as well as high reward."
So In conclusion you perpetuate your mind to continue to grow and mature as a human being and look for the love, help and admiration of and from your fellow brethren/sisters you will understand... in due course.

:twothumbsup:

Ok, now you all have me re-evaluating whether I truly understand what I thought I had come to understand :lol:

So even though Murph was
Ellen Burstyn's age when Cooper entered the black hole, Coop effectively re-wrote the events of time subsequent to his leaving earth to the point where Murph has succeeded in solving the equation and saving humanity by the corresponding point in time that Cooper enters the black hole?
LOL, does that make any sense? :wtf: :think:
Yes it does.
so basically, humanity was doomed (since Dr. Brand said that Murphs generation would be the last to survive on earth) by the time Coop was falling into the black hole. So in Amelia's time, humanity had failed then sudden succeeded, because Coop did his thing in the tesseract
We're getting into some deep stuff. If we don't hold on to each other, we might both drown.

Saw it again yesterday, it's even better second viewing!

9/10 for sure!

CoRohr wrote:
braungeo123 wrote:
slimshady247 wrote:Yes to which?
I mean, I'm just confused as to how he could be in the tesseract causing things to happen even though all that time has passed and he's in the tesseract after those things are already supposed to have happened.
The point is that it is a loop. They always happened, and they always will happen. That's why we see the "ghost" at the beginning of the film before we know Cooper is the ghost. Cooper at that point does not know that he is the one that caused these events until he steps outside time and does so. Time is not a beginning, middle, and end as we perceive it. It is just moments that have always existed and will always exist.
so was murph already old, assumed to have failed to figure out the equation at the moment Coop enter the black hole, since there was a time dilation of 50-70 years from being so close to it. This all changed however when he entered the tesseract and gave murph the necessary information
No.
Novikov's self consistency principle. Everything you do while time-travelling had to already happen when you first passed through that point of time. This movie follows that principle and I'm glad it does because in my opinion it's the only way to make time travelling make sense while keeping it dramatic. When you start opening multiple paralel timelines, which are essencially paralel universes, you have to deal with the fact that whatever you're doing to save people in one time line, they'll still die in infinite others.

Point is, the things he changes in time had already happened before he got into the tesseract. That's the point of the tesseract being outside of time. What happened inside it wasn't happening after Cooper got into the black hole, it was happening simultaneously with the entirety of the span of the universe.

Everyone running along with the opposite assumption is conveniently ignoring that some of the changes that Cooper does at the end of the movie already appeared at the beginning of it, before he went into the black hole. And so would the other changes, like giving Murph the data in the watch.
Last edited by gervasium on November 13th, 2014, 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.