What is your interpretation of the ending? SPOILERS AHEAD

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Couch wrote:One question I have, which seems somewhat minor comparative to other questions already discussed, but regardless...
I understand that initially technology and resources were limited prior to the events in the film, hence the single-manned, one-way trips to evaluate the potential planets. However after Murph's revelation (via Coop from the bookshelf), NASA over the years gains the technology and clearly enough resources for a number of space stations. Doesn't it seem likely that they would also run additional scouting missions to the various planets? In doing so they would discover that Edmund's planet is the optimal choice. In that case when Brand arrives years later, it should already have at least a small base of people, likely working to prepare for a coming exodus.

The film instead implies that after Cooper separates from the ship (prior to entering the black hole), Brand travels and arrives to an empty planet (aside from the deceased Edmund). She then proceeds with setting up plan B, unaware of what has transpired. That is, until (it is assumed) Cooper travels to the planet (implied in the film's end) and fills her in (likely in more ways than one... :lol: ).
Am I missing something here?
Almost snotted from laughing out loud.

Couch wrote:One question I have, which seems somewhat minor comparative to other questions already discussed, but regardless... I understand that initially technology and resources were limited prior to the events in the film, hence the single-manned, one-way trips to evaluate the potential planets. However after Murph's revelation (via Coop from the bookshelf), NASA over the years gains the technology and clearly enough resources for a number of space stations. Doesn't it seem likely that they would also run additional scouting missions to the various planets? In doing so they would discover that Edmund's planet is the optimal choice. In that case when Brand arrives years later, it should already have at least a small base of people, likely working to prepare for a coming exodus.

The film instead implies that after Cooper separates from the ship (prior to entering the black hole), Brand travels and arrives to an empty planet (aside from the deceased Edmund). She then proceeds with setting up plan B, unaware of what has transpired. That is, until (it is assumed) Cooper travels to the planet (implied in the film's end) and fills her in (likely in more ways than one... :lol: ).

My interpretation is as follows: When Coop and Brand are using Gargantua as a slingshot, they approach dangerously close to the event horizon. This close to the horizon of a black hole severely dilates time (Brand estimates something like 50+ years). So in the moments before Coop falls into the black hole (and eventually enters the Tesseract), decades upon decades have passed on earth. In fact, at this point, Murph has already received the solution from her father and has started building the technology. So after Coop completes his mission in the Tesseract, the future beings transport him back to our solar system via the wormhole. The time dilation of the blackhole means that 50+ years have passed and Murph's gravity-based technology has allowed humans to set up space station. The last scenes in the movie are a little confusing because it uses non-linear editing, but basically, It shows Coop and Murph in the 50+year future from when she solved the equation, but it also cuts back to immediately when Brand landed on Edmunds planet, 50 years previous. She went to Edmunds planet immediately after escaping the black hole, so a lot of time would have passed on Earth in the hours/days that took her to settle in on Edmund's planet.

Under the assumption that Coop was debriefed and told everyone what happend, Murph tells Coop to go find Brand to see if she settled on the new planet. In the time since she settled (which we do not see and happens after the burial of Edmunds on-screen), she would have begun the colonization process. So Coop steals the space shuttle and sets off to find Brand.
Last edited by Vesh on November 9th, 2014, 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

What if the ending opens up to a sequel?

Yeah, crazy, i know.

Havoc1st wrote:
What if the ending opens up to a sequel?

Yeah, crazy, i know.
I hope not.

Vesh wrote:
Couch wrote:One question I have, which seems somewhat minor comparative to other questions already discussed, but regardless... I understand that initially technology and resources were limited prior to the events in the film, hence the single-manned, one-way trips to evaluate the potential planets. However after Murph's revelation (via Coop from the bookshelf), NASA over the years gains the technology and clearly enough resources for a number of space stations. Doesn't it seem likely that they would also run additional scouting missions to the various planets? In doing so they would discover that Edmund's planet is the optimal choice. In that case when Brand arrives years later, it should already have at least a small base of people, likely working to prepare for a coming exodus.

Vesh wrote:My interpretation is as follows: When Coop and Brand are using Gargantua as a slingshot, they approach dangerously close to the event horizon. This close to the horizon of a black hole severely dilates time (Brand estimates something like 50+ years). So in the moments before Coop falls into the black hole (and eventually enters the Tesseract), decades upon decades have passed on earth. In fact, at this point, Murph has already received the solution from her father and has started building the technology. So after Coop completes his mission in the Tesseract, the future beings transport him back to our solar system via the wormhole. The time dilation of the blackhole means that 50+ years have passed and Murph's gravity-based technology has allowed humans to set up space station. The last scenes in the movie are a little confusing because it uses non-linear editing, but basically, It shows Coop and Murph in the 50+year future from when she solved the equation, but it also cuts back to immediately when Brand landed on Edmunds planet, 50 years previous. She went to Edmunds planet immediately after escaping the black hole, so a lot of time would have passed on Earth in the hours/days that took her to settle in on Edmund's planet.

Under the assumption that Coop was debriefed and told everyone what happend, Murph tells Coop to go find Brand to see if she settled on the new planet. In the time since she settled (which we do not see and happens after the burial of Edmunds on-screen), she would have begun the colonization process. So Coop steals the space shuttle and sets off to find Brand.
[/quote]

Ah ok. I was under the impression that Brand was also affected by the ~50 year time dilation by passing so close to the blackhole with Coop. But if that is not the case, and she arrived on Edmund's planet around the time Murph was just receiving the solution, wouldn't Edmund likely still be alive (though 20 some years older than when Brand last saw him of course)?

*used spoiler tag on my original comment just for purposes of avoiding a mega post.

Couch wrote: Ah ok. I was under the impression that Brand was also affected by the ~50 year time dilation by passing so close to the blackhole with Coop. But if that is not the case, and she arrived on Edmund's planet around the time Murph was just receiving the solution, wouldn't Edmund likely still be alive (though 20 some years older than when Brand last saw him of course)?

*used spoiler tag on my original comment just for purposes of avoiding a mega post.
Actually, I may have made a mistake. Brand does experience time dilation by passing near the black hole. Earth would have aged by 50 years in the time that she used the slingshot to get around Gargantua. Murph would have already solved the gravity equation and set up the space stations around the solar system.

In terms of what happend to Edmunds, we can't be too sure. Either he died in the 50 years that had dilated when Brand passed near the black hole, or he died upon impact of the planet (more likely because his signal was already gone when they entered the system). When Brand goes to that planet, she finds him dead and begins setting up the colony. So her beginning the colony should be concurrent with the Coop setting off to find her.

hasanahmad wrote:No one has the answer to the one question I have
if humans are to die on earth without leaving earth how did they survive to create a wormhole ? They must have done in future but I thought earth was dying
Two thoughts:

a) This question in essence captures the time-travel paradox. Cooper gets co-ordinates > leaves earth > enters blackhole -> Sends co-ordinates to Cooper > Cooper gets the co-ordinates ..... it only makes sense if you don't question where the loop begins. Three-dimensional beings can never get a proper answer to it without it seeming paradoxical.

b) I had another thought: its probably far-fetched, but please hear me out. Aren't we assuming the future humans are evolved from earth? I mean, consider the case of Edmunds' planet. If a civilization grows there and in say 5000 years, gets to the status of present day earth, they probably would think they are the only life in the universe too. If the blight were to affect them, the "other humans" who have now mastered gravity are well-placed to throw them a lifeline by placing a wormhole in their vicinity.

I think the idea is that humans chart their own future when they are not afraid to aspire high and explore the unknown.

Watched the film yesterday evening here in Italy.
I've read all the topic, but a few questions last in my head.
First of all, I don't undestand why in the 50+ years that humanity spent on the various Space Stations, no one ever sent an exploration mission to figure out what happened to the people that went through the wormhole near Saturn (that, I suppose, is still open) and to discover if one of the three planets is suitable for life. After that, they'll simply move all the humans to the Edmund's Planet, joining Brand and probably the colony of humans that has grow up in the meanwhile.
Secondly, I didn't understand if there is no way to communicate to our galaxy from the one where Brand is still alive (even if you can send messages from the our to the other) and I didn't also undestand if it's no possible to come back to our galaxy going through the wormhole (Cooper simply took a leap of faith and didn't know that entering the Event Horizon of the wormhole he would come back to our solar system).
So, in conclusion, when Cooper at the ending of the film take a spaceship to go after Brand, how he could eventually managed to let the humans in our solar system to know Edmund's Planet is suitable for live and they can move to it?

Hope my thoughts are clear. English is not my first language. :)

Chris wrote:And what about Cooper's son?
The end of the movie focuses on Murph and Cooper but why is the son completely missing from the last act? Not a mention, not a word about him...it unfortunately suggests that Cooper doesn't care anymore about him and I don't understand it.
Even if his son has become a bit of a selfish asshole (which Cooper doesn't know anyway), he is still his child... Cooper should have asked about him. Ok we can assume that the son passed away but I think a father has to be sure of that.
Am I wrong? What do you think
about this absence?
if there is one thing I hate about the film, it's how rushed that ending is. He spends so long away from Murph, that he wouldn't endure being with her until she dies? Sorry... I don't buy that. I would have liked to see him talk with her longer... Talk about Tom, his grandkids and all of that family. I know Nolan is trying to get moving to the end, but that just feels off. Out of all the things in a movie of this scope that you just have to take on faith and just move along with the story... That's the one thing I couldn't. I just wanted him to say to Murph.. I'm not leaving you again...ever... It just didn't make sense he'd be in a hurry to get to Brand at the expense of his family.

The one thing that I couldn't understand is how Dr Brand remained the same age in the ending shot, despite the colony having evolved by at least one generation: we seen a handful of houses that reminds me of old wild west cities. Or did she build all of that for a few hundred embryos?