Interstellar Advance Screening Social Media Reactions Thread

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
and one last one from a Frenchwoman to cheer people up:

20100klo ‏@20100klo 1m1 minute ago
C'est la tête dans les étoiles que je vais me coucher.. merci Nolan, merci McConaughey. L'atterrissage n'est pas prévu. #Interstellar

It is with my head in the stars that I am going to bed... thank you Nolan, thank you McConaughey. I don't plan on ever landing.

Aili wrote:and one last one from a Frenchwoman to cheer people up:

C'est la tête dans les étoiles que je vais me coucher.. merci Nolan, merci McConaughey. L'atterrissage n'est pas prévu. #Interstellar

It is with my head in the stars that I am going to bed... thank you Nolan, thank you McConaughey. I don't plan on ever landing.
Do the French naturally speak like poets?

Hell, one of them just won the Nobel Literature Prize.

UnknownVariation wrote:
Aili wrote:and one last one from a Frenchwoman to cheer people up:

Do the French naturally speak like poets?
:D :D :D yeah we're pretty good at it :p For instance...let me try...

"Do not go gentle into that good night; Interstellar should play and play again at close of day.
Rage, rage against the disappearance of 70mm films."

Metro UK:

8 reasons Interstellar is worth your time:

Christopher Nolan’s new film Interstellar stars Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway and Jessica Chastain.

Although this epic story through space and time is 166 minutes long, this phenomenal film is worth every one.

So get your space suit ready and prepare for a journey to the stars.

Here’s why you won’t regret it:

1. The special effects

Breath-taking, stunning, jaw dropping – there are many ways to describe the effects used in the film but really you just need to see it for yourself to really appreciate how phenomenal they are.

It’s the closest most of us will get to actually going into space.

2. The father/daughter relationship

Though the special effects are phenomenal, what really pulls the story forward is the love between Cooper (McConaughey) and his family, especially daughter Murph (Mackenzie Foy).

It’s a powerful bond and one that dominates everything Cooper does throughout the film.

3. The fascinating look at a darker future

It’s not an asteroid on its way to Earth, it’s a long drawn-out, dust-covered decay of the planet.

People continue living and it’s fascinating to watch how they carry on.

The sidekick

Though Cooper is a little bit old-school (he tends to opt for manual rather than automatic and rely on human instinct) he is saddled with a non-human sidekick who is an absolute joy to watch.

Among other tricks, he has an honesty filter and a humour filter and you can even change the settings.

If only you could do the same with certain humans!
5. Michael Caine getting poetic

It’s exciting in the trailer but hearing Michael Caine speak the infamous Dylan Thomas words ‘rage, rage against the dying of the light’ is just sublime – and a sentiment that resinates throughout the entire film.

6. The many worlds

Interstellar is so much more than a space adventure and some stunning locations were used for the other worlds we see.

There’s a stark contrast of colours and textures and the audience is really taken into every location.

7. The supporting cast

There’s no doubt that this is McConaughey’s story but even the parts which get very little screen time are played by the very best actors, from John Lithgow to Michael Caine and many more besides.

8. There is so much you don’t know

Unlike many trailers these days, what we’ve seen so far of Interstellar really is just the tip of the iceberg.

Hmm, should we start a new thread for articles ABOUT Interstellar? It seems like they're going to be a lot which aren't actually reviews.

This is on AwardsDaily. Though Sasha Stone hasn't given her review yet (and sounds like she isn't crazy about Interstellar), she got very angry about another article (which I hadn't seen) in which a bunch of male critics claim the women in Interstellar are all emotional wrecks. So she defends the way women are presented in Interstellar. I don't think anything I haven't marked spoiler really is a spoiler, but... even the spoilers are very general and not specific

Interstellar: Of Women and Their Emotions

Of all of the things written about Interstellar over the past few days the one that has disturbed me the most is the notion that the women in the film are ruled by their emotions and therefore can’t be trusted. This was mosst recently brought up by the New York Times Michael Cieply’s piece which exists, I suppose, to show how a frontrunner can fall from such a high place. I guess that doesn’t bode well for the other frontrunners waiting in the wings, the article suggests, like Unbroken and American Sniper. Beware the hype. It quotes David Poland, Kris Tapley, Steve Pond and Alonso Duralde.

The first thing to note is that Cieply only quotes men. Plenty of women write about the Oscars (like me, Anne Thompson, Susan Wloszczyna, Thelma Adams, etc) and have written plenty about Interstellar – but Cieply focuses only on the male point of view. And that’s fine, expected even, these days. If it only talked about the cock and balls of show business, the opening weekend and international box office that would be fine. But they go into the territory of negative female stereotypes without referencing a single female writer. I think that’s a problem.

Here is what Cieply wrote – in a piece, mind you, that only references male writes — I MEAN ONLY – no female critic, Oscar pundit, journalist, “editor at large” – nada, zip, niente:

Over at the website The Wrap, by contrast, the reviewer Alonso Duralde loved the film’s beginning, which he found “challenging, provocative and gorgeous.” But that last hour this is a bigger spoiler
— the part Mr. Poland admired — Mr. Duralde called “a third act of staggering wrongheadedness, along with female characters whose intellect takes a back seat to their exploding emotionalism and rage.”
Wrongheadedness notwithstanding, Mr. Duralde’s Wrap colleague Steve Pond, also writing on Monday, added to the confusion by insisting that Ms. Chastain “stands out as a supporting actress contender” for her time-shifting turn as Mr. McConaughey’s scientist-daughter. But Mr. Pond, too, thought the film came up short. “It isn’t the one thing that this year’s race has been missing: a front runner,” he wrote.

I’m not really sure why Mr. Cieply felt the need to “go there” but I thought it was worthy of addressing from the female perspective, since that is clearly the thing missing here. It is a commonly held MISPERCEPTION that women are irrational because they are emotional. Whether they are irrational or not has little to do with their being emotional, but rather, to do with their being human.

As to Interstellar, I’ve heard (and debunked) this complaint that the women in the film are irrational. They are emotional, yes, but they are capable
of nothing short of (spoiler) saving humanity. The father and daughter work together to help solve this, and indeed, the father is the one “called forth.”
You can criticize that aspect of it but you certainly cannot and should not criticize the Jessica Chastain character for exhibiting emotion.

Anne Hathaway, were she also cast as a man, doing EXACTLY the same things would get a complete pass. No one would even notice the emotion. War Horse? All of Steven Spielberg’s films? We can start there if you’d like but I can probably name 100 films that star men being emotional, even men being irrational while being emotional.

Emotion is a good thing. It doesn’t mean a woman is more rational because she shows no emotion. No one in Interstellar shows more emotion, nor operates from a more emotional place, than Matthew McConaughey. If Murph had been cast as a man, if he did exactly what Jessica Chastain – or the kid who plays her – do in Interstellar no one would say a goddamn thing about it. But because it’s a woman, we get the low hum of criticism that women should never show any emotion so that they can appear more like men.

The least Cieply could have done if he planned to enter that terrain was get a woman’s point of view. Anne Thompson is a good place to start or any female critics writing about the film – Dana Stevens, Stephanie Zacharek.

Here are a few great female characters who got shit done while also showing emotion:

Holly Hunter in Broadcast News
Jessica Chastain in Zero Dark Thirty
Sigourney Weaver in Alien and Aliens
Diane Keaton in Reds
Faye Dunaway in Network

Emotion is never a bad thing in any character on film. Where the problems arise is when that emotion becomes irrational. Of course, when it’s a male character acting irrationally because of emotion that’s just called being male. Like Jack Nicholson in The Shining. Like Dustin Hoffman in The Graduate or Kramer vs. Kramer.

There are so few films with women in them at all this year, where the women are doing something other than propping up the male character.

Of those that remain, the complaints are coming fast and furiously, even with a movie like Interstellar where a conscious choice was made
to hand the future of mankind over to a woman for a change
has to be destroyed, made into something ugly.

Gone Girl and The Homesman are under similar attacks for negative portrayals of women, never mind that they are full of diverse portrayals of every kind of woman. If this keeps up there will be no films with women in them at all, which is maybe the whole point?

The problem with adhering to a politically correct standard in art is that it greatly limits the array of characters and stories that can be told. If they aren’t “right” they get picked apart, chewed up and spit out. If they are “right” they are dismissed as being too politically correct. Someone should put out a handbook for filmmakers about what you can and what you can’t do or say. Me, I prefer there to be much much more stories out there of imperfect characters as long as they are well written.

Offensive portrayals of women, to me, are those that exist ONLY to prop up the male characters. Women who are only sex objects, designed for the pleasure of men and nothing more (a great send up of this trope in Blade Runner). But when you start to nitpick you eventually obliterate the diversity and freedom of storytelling and artistic expression. That’s a kind of fascism.

Maybe the status quo wants what it wants and women need not apply. After all, only men write about the Oscars, apparently, those emotionless, rational creatures who never shoot up schools, murder their wives and girlfriends, have emotional breakdowns in public, start and perpetuate wars. But they don’t cry so that gets them off the hook for being untrustworthy.

Of the things that are wrong with Interstellar, it’s portrayal of women is not one of them, in my irrational, emotional, invisible opinion.

leo
Aili wrote:Leo! Leo! au secours avec une traduction!
I'll give it a try!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMVztZhTLI0

You know it's the first time in my life I've had to wait for a good chunk of people to leave the theater before me, before being able to stand up, concretely. It is one of the rare times I've had to hold my face, telling myself "that can't be, what I just saw it cannot be". And yet believe me, it got off to a real bad start. I want to warn you right now I'm not gonna make a detailed review of the movie, why because in this movie more than others, you have to discover each aspect that hasn't been shown in the trailers by yourself, quite simply. The content of the trailers corresponds to about max 4%, at the most, of the movie. So voila I'm not gonna spoil you either I'm not gonna make a review, I won't spoil you there will be zero spoiler in this analysis, let's say in this small debrief but in no case a movie review. Before the movie there was a press conference given by Christopher Nolan, that by the way I invite you to watch on my channel that's the video I uploaded right before this one, in which he explains it is important to know the less possible about a movie before going to the theater not to ruin our enjoyment, and that's why I'm just gonna give you my impressions on this movie, and encourage you at the same time not to read any opinion not to watch any review because really, you have to go simply with what Nolan has offered you, quite simply, with what Nolan has given you before going there, that's to say the three trailers I believe and maybe one of two excerpts from the movie, which reflect very well the spirit of the movie but in no case its content.

And last point before really really getting to the heart of the matter, I encourage you if really you're a big fan of Nolan and that you haven't yet had the occasion to see the movie, disconnect yourself from social media, go away, forget Twitter forget Facebook because really, well, it's, it's a great moment I have lived personally and I would have really really hated for it to be wasted by a spoiler, any tiny additional spoiler would have been disastrous, compared to the experience that I have lived. Believe me when I tell you that I have lived, inside this theater of the Champs-Elysées, the greatest cinematographic experience of my whole life. The previous one that was as great it wasn't Gravity, it was Titanic back in 1998 through my eyes of a kid, I discovered cinema at that moment and I wanted to do cinema thanks to Titanic, and today, well Titanic is still at the top but then now you have Interstellar which is one notch above, concretely. And yet I have to confess to you at the beginning it was a long shot because I was expecting A LOT as you can guess, a lot from this movie, I remained virgin of almost any trailer, and the first twenty minutes that I watched, once again without spoiling you, *chuckles* well I was disappointed in fact, the first twenty minutes I was thoroughly disappointed, well too many obvious references to other movies, because of the music or because of what we were seeing on screen, yeah too many references to other sci-fi movies, I'm not gonna list them Nolan listed them all already so voila, he listed them as references for him but in the end these movies are inside his movie in fact well you'll understand when you watch it certainly ...

I stopped translating at the 3:38 mark as it takes quite a lot of time, if people really want to hear the rest I'll keep going

If you have time to translate more, I'd love to hear it. I watched the video before and understood the jist of it with my basic french knowledge, but I'd love to hear exactly what he's saying. Don't feel obligated though, I'm sure it's a lot of work.

john75 wrote:I just came back from the premiere in Paris, where I saw the film in 70mm.
First of all, I had the chance to see Mr. Nolan, and shake hands with McConaughey. But the film itself is the most incredible part. I'll write my review later on (sorry for my english, I'm french but I'll try to be as clear as possible), but what I can tell you is that IT GOES FAR BEYOND MY EXPECTATIONS.

I'll just make this point : for those who thought Interstellar was not Nolan's best film, you may be wrong. Do you wanna know why ? Because it's not his best film. IT IS HIS FIRST. Don't expect to see a new film that is like Inception, because it's not. Inception is an action film melted with the beautiful imagery, great writing and the fascinating imagination of Chris Nolan. But INTERSTELLAR is not an action film, it is a lot more than that. I'm not saying that his previous films were bad, not at all, I love them all as you do. But Interstellar is in a way his first film as an experienced director : it was epic and mesmerizing, but at the same time mature, humble, and very personal. It is his first film that goes far beyond his own filmography, and it announces more greatness to come.

And not understanding the scientific narration of the film should not make you hate it, because it is one of the purposes of the film, to make yourselves ask philosophical and scientific questions, such as : what will always make us human and even more human beyond time and space ? I'll let you answer to that when you will see the film.

I'll probably post my full review in a few days. AND YES, Hans Zimmer's score is the BEST score you'll hear in a theater in a long time. AND YES, Imax trailer 5 song is in it. :gonf:
Holy Shit!
probably the most intriguing things i've heard about this movie so, far..thanks!

Michelle Beadle, sports reporter and host on ESPN.
@MichelleDBeadle 1h1 hour ago
Just left screening of @Interstellar. My muscles hurt. In best of ways. Tense for the whole thing. Need a drink. Loved! #Interstellar