'Interstellar' Nolan Fans Member Reviews

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Took me three viewings in five days to feel comfortable with this, and I'm still not, but I doubt I'll get another chance before bluray time so here we go:

I believe this is a masterpiece that will grow with time. I sent good ol' 11072014 a 9.5 rating when prompted via pm, but I'm not sure I can't bump that up a half point. Now I realize that we have to be objective, be rational, and not get too hyped.

Fuck that.

I'll calm down, dry my eyes, and forget how this movie has made me happy as soon as I can forget
-The genius opening of Old Murph talking about her dad being a farmer.
- Coop and Children racing after the drone with the Zimmer soundtrack kicking in at the perfect time. That moment was this films "that you came to steal from me...or that we're actually asleep *cue the dream is collapsing".
- The Romilly 23 year reveal. I've read criticism of that. I can't abide. That moment is given weight by how understated it actually is.
- The aging of Tom on camera. Casey Affleck delivers that scene. Matthew McConaughey knocks it home.
- "Brand, did you know? Did he tell you?"
- Matt Damon's AWESOME role as Dr. Mann. The dialogue and how he sells it is perfect. I had spoiled myself and knew he was going to be a "bad guy" but as soon as he started talking about the survival instinct, my gut dropped. He was perfect for the role and the role was necessary in the film.

On top of that, Hans Zimmer's soundtrack is the perfect marraige and perfect elevating factor for the film as a whole. The main two note little riff has haunted me since last Wednesday.

On top of that, the 5th dimension scene is the most genius thing that Mr. Nolan has put to film. We've come to expect this sort of stuff. As soon as Cooper drops into those bookshelves, I knew something was up. I didn't know that he was going to make his True Detective work (which I loved) look like junior varsity.

My favorite aspect of film is the escape. I've always drawn closer to cinema the more I needed it. I've opened up about how film has saved me on here before, and I'll do it again. I'm closing in on 30 now, and while I don't feel old, life doesn't get easier. Hence why I don't have double digit posts here every day like I used to (and I miss the lot of you that remember me, btw), but I'll tell you one thing about the magic of film:

Image, sound and story, in the hands of a master, can make one feel weightless, no pun intended. The last thirty minutes of this film made me excited for life. Made me love my partner more. Made me more excited to wake up. Murphy Cooper running through the tunnel that she once walked through with Dr. Brand, combined with that inspired score, tossing those papers---that scene lifted my soul straight out of body. The jubilation, so built up, so perfectly executed, is the power of film. For all the arguments we have around here, something brought us here. All I could think about in each viewing of this movie was how a beautifully executed story that goes beyond our imaginations has power to help people and bring them together.

Obviously I'm not a great technical reviewer, nor do I tend to look at life that way. Much can be spoken or written about the scientific aspects of the film, but I preferred to let Mr. Nolan guide me emotionally, and he did so in ways that I cannot objectively defend. I'll be happy to discuss this beautiful film for a while now. And I decided to revise my score a little bit. 10/10 sounds good. That's what I thought the first time and I changed it, but if a third viewing can't, then nothing will.

Sorry if this was a little disjointed, but I'm done, and sad at that.

Interstellar, thank you for everything. Watching you this past week has been beautiful and I'll never forget it, but Lois says I have to let you go. (until you come out on blu ray)

I echo Sandy's thoughts. I'm just gonna go ahed and put this in my personal top 10. Never connected to a film like this. Just in pure awe.

After my second viewing I'll give it a 9/10

Updated.

All Critics: 96% (average Rating: 9.1/10)
Top Critics: 100% (average Rating: 9.3/10)
Last edited by Numbers on November 10th, 2014, 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

8/10 from me. But from only one viewing. Hope to view it this week 2 more times.

Will write a review later but score is 10/10. Loved it.

First, I am a huge fan of Memento, Inception, and The Prestige.

The good: Nolan once again borrows from past films in a delightful way: 2001 Space Odyssey, Armageddon, and Gravity. (Also, Contact.) The space scenes and other planets are done well and the acting by MM and others is very good.

The nonsense of the film and the entire third act falls apart. There is not only way too much exposition, like Inception. (How would they know the ratio of time was exactly seven years for every hour? ) But, they also explain things about the instinct of survival and that love is a more powerful force. (Don't tell me, that ruins it. I already know that anyway. )

First hour...very good. Second hour...good. Third hour.....Ridiculous.

Sorry, the Nolans needed someone to read the script and iron out things. Cooper's prestige is a bigger magic trick than Angier's leap through space. There is his interesting foreshadow that leads to a big surprise as well. And a twist borrowed from several other films (still good but almost expected). I do not recommend this Nolan film. And that is the hardest thing to believe. (Many others I talked to felt the same way. No clapping at the end this time.)

All the nitpicking be damned.. I have my issues with the film, but I can't remember walking out of a theater with the feeling I had walking out of this film in a long time. I was emotionally drained, but so very enthralled. The movie has stayed with me since I walked out Saturday night, and I can think of no greater compliment for a film. Immensely satisfying, to be sure... Here's my two cents on some finer points -
It hasn't been a huge statement by many, but I really hate the notion that it's 'too emotional' as a criticism of the quality of the film. Nolan has been criticized immensely for this in past films, and when he does deliver a film more pointedly emotional at times, he gets blasted for it by some. I disagree completely. I was incredibly moved by many scenes, and honestly, it's not because of the material.. it's because of McConaughey. He managed those scenes realistically, and appropriately. I'm not ashamed to admit, I cried.. I told my wife if I weren't a parent, I'm not sure it would have affected me quite like that.. but it all rang so true. I read one review that says Spielberg would have handled that with more skill, or something. I disagree. It's not hard to elicit emotion in a movie by playing up the mood. Spielberg would have turned it into a sapfest. This was much more spare.. much more pogniantly handled. It's no surprise to me that the first thing Cooper would do is go straight to the messages from home upon returning to the ship. His departure scene from the house with Murphy was just brilliantly acted, and really a testament to both actors. (I'm in the camp they should both be up for oscars). And of course, the scene in the tesseract. Seeing his anger at himself.... trying to reach himself.. nothing in that scene felt forced, emotionally.. and it was heartbreaking. I don't recall ever being so affected by a film, all because I could relate to his feelings. I'm not sure I could ever leave my child.

Which is why the one scene that didn't work for me was his reunion with Murph. He never would have left her again. The scene doe resonate beautifully with those actors... but his rushing off to be with Brand.. I'm sorry... he could have waited, and would have gladly spent that time with her. He would not have lost another moment, and watching her die may have been tough, but he would've done it. He would not have left her again. The scene plays out beautifully because of the actors.. the dialogue plays in well.. but it's that one turn that just does not resonate with me.

10/10 for me, loved every second of it! Can't wait to see it again 8-)
Last edited by Nomis on November 10th, 2014, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saw it again but this time in a Digital Xtreme theater, missed the grandeur of the True IMAX 70mm I experienced opening night, but the digital projection is quite good and there were NO sound issues, the bass levels well nicely calibrated and I could hear ALL of the dialog. Unfortunately I couldn't finish the movie, had to leave early because my wife had and emergency and was not feeling good, bummer, but I'm going again.a

However I was able to see the entire first and second act, and that amount of film confirmed that you do need a second viewing to truly appreciate this film, it is beautiful, it is engaging. I had issue remember the score during my first viewing, so I paid extra attention to it this last time, and it's among Zimmer's finest works, so subtle at times, so powerful at others I can't get it our my head, beautiful.

I'm seeing the film again, and I wish I can travel a bit at the speed of light to have some time dilation and return to the moment when the BluRay is already available so I can buy it and watch this movie in endless loop.

Also, twice now I've experienced what some people already have claimed to have experienced, I've dreamt of wormholes, black holes, interstellar travel, theory of relativity, quantum mechanics, quantum gravity, etc. I think the greatest achievement this movie has accomplished is that it has brought science, astrophysics and space talk to every table and might inspire future generations to continue to look at the stars.