'Interstellar' Nolan Fans Member Reviews

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Sorry for being so late. Finally got to see it. I was a bit worried about the scientific exposition and the 'love monologue' but it didn't really bother me that much. All around good performances but Foy surprised me the most. Loved TARS and CASE. My only problem was with the pacing in the first half and the sound-mixing, although I don't know how much of that was the theater and how much of it was the film. 8/10 for now but it could grow with subsequent viewings.

Loved it. 10/10

I actually think that when it comes to, for example, RottenTomatoes scores, this film is highly underrated. Although I don't like to use the words "underrated" or "overrated", because film is still an art from and everyone has a different taste. And that is okay. But it's hard for me to get over the fact how brilliant I think the film is compared to critics consensus (consesi? anyway...).

To me, Interstellar is something entirely new from Nolan. No, not because it is emotional, but the whole pace, rythm, speed of the film is completely different from his previous works'. That is plain obvious. And I just love it. Because of this, I don't want to compare Interstellar to his other films, but I think this is one of my favorite Nolan films. It's always hard to choose between Chris' movies, that's for sure, although The Dark Knight always stood out for me. Just a little, tiny little bit. Now Interstellar is there as well.

Nolan manages to re-shape blockbusters once again. His previous films (Batman-films, Inception) were huge adrenaline rides, unstoppable cargo trains traveling at the speed of light and rumbling through everything. In his previous films the plot just speeds forward at an unimaginable speed, but now it's all calm and slow. And not much happens in Interstellar! It's actually a surprisingly simple film, where certain details of actions and events are stretched out. And it's so ambiguous: so little happens, but it's stretched out into a nearly 3-hour-long film, still, it doesn't feel 3 hours long, oh no, not at all.

The scenery is so beautiful, cinematography is just mind-blowing, and all the effects, all the shots of Endurance and the Rangers, the onboard cameras, the reality of the visual effects, and how the plot, the rythm, everything is much calmer and slower, but because of this, much more intimate... to me Interstellar is one of the best Nolan-films.

Finally saw it! I can't really write a full review on it at the moment. Maybe not even till I see it again. I will say its one of my favorite Nolan movies. There are some moments I questioned, the final 10 minues I feel like shouldnt be there. As of now. Those thoughts could change in time, but IMO the final 10 is the biggest flaw. I also think that the first act on earth was rushed, however it's weird because I also think its well edited (except for a few moments at the very very beginning). That sounds like a contradiction, but it's not rushed like Rises where everything feels very chopped and awkwardly edited at times. The story is a little rushed, but the editing felt good to me and even though I wanted more from Cooper and his family on earth I got enough of it that I cared and connected with the characters.

The space stuff is beautiful in this film, and in 70mm it was absolutely breathtaking. Gargantua especially. Possibly the greatest special effects shot period. I also loved the unconventional and divisive third act. The cast was great, and Damons character was quite a surprise. Overall I loved this fucking movie even though I have a few big problems with it, but that's okay

While it's not flawless (despite my five-star rating), Nolan's newest film is not afraid to be big and grand and passionate, and Interstellar so beautifully proves that. Not only that, but this might be Nolan's most emotional film (not including TDKR), creating resonance in a way that until now has not been fully seen (not even in The Dark Knight or Inception, which are arguably superior to this film). It shows that Nolan has grown and is really learning to expand his horizons.

Matthew McConaughey's portrayal of Cooper is Oscar-worthy and really gripping. McConaughey really gives us a character to root for and relate to, showing emotion and humanity that makes his acting all the more powerful and realistic. Anne Hathaway as Amelia Brand reveals one of Hathaway's best roles in her entire career, and so does Matt Damon as Mr. Brand, Jessica Chastain as Murphy Cooper, Michael Caine as Professor Brand, and all the other roles in this film. They feel like real and living human beings, like they could exist in our world. Their performances are so lifelike that they make the human drama in it all the more engrossing and relatable because of it.

Christopher Nolan succeeds against at confidently directing his film with skill. Him and Jonathan Nolan have crafted a rich, if messy and sometimes clunky and overdrawn, screenplay and story that are further done justice by Nolan's direction. Hoyte van Hoytema's crisp photography, Hans Zimmer's bombastic and moving score, Lee Smith's brilliant editing, the awesome visual style that dominates this film — all are but a part of the reason why Nolan's Interstellar is a moving and touching, if somewhat flawed and sentimental, masterpiece of filmmaking. It's somewhat corny at times, but the willingness of Nolan's ambition to go to higher ground is truly praiseworthy, even if, as the Rotten Tomatoes consensus states, "its intellectual reach somewhat exceeds its grasp."

The science, even if not fully accurate, is definitely handled well in this film, and the transcendent aims of Nolan and this movie elevate it to higher levels.

So, even if the critics are not as enthusiastic about this Nolan work, I am, and I am truly, truly glad that I saw this film in the way it was meant to be seen. Like The Lego Movie, Interstellar turned out to be one of the most inspiring cinematic experiences I have enjoyed, and it is important to me because it is the first time i got to enjoy Nolan at his grandest and in the way this film is supposed to be enjoyed — on the big screen.

Bad Ass
10/10

I really enjoyed the film.

10/10

10/10
Best movie in the history of cinema.

Finally saw it last night. I'll go with a 9.5, at least for now. My head's been buzzing since I left the theater, but my thoughts are still a bit scattered. Overall, this was the most amazing theater experience for me since Inception.
- Nice Prestige-like opening shot.
- The takeoff transition scene is great, especially with the score. It adds to the significance of Murph's bedroom, the intimate amidst the epic. I nearly cried when Murph came running out of the house.
- The Tesseract was a little hard to grasp (not to mention unexpected), but the "ghost" reveal was amazing to watch.
- I love how Nolan creates and builds tension across different scenes.
- The silent space shots are well done. My favorite example is with Mann's death.
- The whole thing really is as much an experience as it is a film: the shots alongside the Ranger (thrilling), the spinning shot from the Endurance while orbiting Earth, the ticking sound used on the water planet (again, awesome score), etc.