'Interstellar' Nolan Fans Member Reviews

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Just arrived from IMAX - Rio de Janeiro.
The problems are clear, but all I can think now is: how this man can do such films. . .

9/10

INTERSTELLAR

First viewing. Wow, I'm sure the film may have had some issues, but I honestly can't even think of them right now. This was without a doubt the most immersive movie going experience I've ever had. Gravity, Avatar, TRON Legacy, they all pale in comparison to what I just experienced. I can't compare it to anything. I have no idea if the individual components of plot, script writing, or acting have great merit to them but during those 2 and half hours, none of that mattered because Christopher Nolan knows how to make a great fucking movie.

10/10

Rarely do I see a movie that leaves me full of emotions. From beginning to end I was fully invested in it. The whole cast was amazing and I couldn't see anyone else playing these roles. Zimmer's score was something refreshing and phenomenal. I loved how much homage to 2001: A Space Odyssey was done, especially the black hole sequence. The visuals couldn't have been more perfect. I can't wait to see this again soon and own it on blu-Ray.

10/10

I just went through all the reviews on here and compiled the scores to come up with the NolanFans-O-Meter.
The rules:
1. I didn't include a mixed category because it would be too complicated. 0 - 5 is negative, 6 - 10 is positive
2. In order to be included, you have to have made at least 100 posts.
3. In order to be included in the "top critics" category, you have to have made at least 1000 posts.
4. If you didn't include a score, you weren't included, but you can PM me or post a score and I'll include you.

All Critics
16 reviews counted
Average Rating: 9.5/10
NolanFans-O-Meter: 94%
(2782) natalie: 9/10
(8199) Dream-Xtractor: 10/10
(1611) Yusuf Dazz: 10/10
(127) willyjoel: 8.5/10
(691) thegreypilgrim: 10/10
(2397) MiracleSleeper2: 9.9/10
(398) Rom: 5/10
(372) 4NLegend: 10/10
(8042) Red Hood: 10/10
(3120) OVERMAN: 10/10
(2799) xWhereAmI?: 10/10
(12594) Vader182: 10/10
(777) AsianVersionOfET: 10/10
(232) ek79: 9/10
(3399) Addicted2Movies: 10/10
(4048) Thedarkknight628: 10/10
Top Critics
10 reviews counted
Average Rating: 9.9/10
NolanFans-O-Meter: 100%
I still need scores from:
(139) Lord Shade - positive
(123) vesh - positive
(659) Sky007 - positive
(2207) ChrisNolan - positive
(197) Thaillest89 - positive
(441) Echovoid_52 - positive
(1329) Havoc1st - positive
(7696) Cop 223 - positive

I just saw this yesterday and I can completely say I was lost for words. I couldn't imagine a sci-fi space epic told in such an emotional and intelligent way. A review somewhere said, Rolling Stone it was I believe, a "Nirvana" for movie lovers. I'll be damn if I didn't reached it yesterday while watching this. And as ever, none of the images I saw in the trailers or the TV spots could even possibly ruin any of the experience I had last night. From the very first moment into the opening, hearing Zimmer's "out of this world" score, right till the very end, the movie held me, emotionally draining me, but also fulfilling me with awe from the most remarkable shots of space I have ever seen. Kubrick had his Odyssey, Nolan has Interstellar, and it is our Odyssey once again. I will not delve into the plot and what it truly is about, but I will say that Nolan has awakened the need for humanity's next step into the stars. It's very much like he puts it, about the human spirit and our desire for exploration, and the thing paving the way is none other then love. I could rave and rave about how great and outstanding this movie is, but truly everyone should just go experience this. Nolan, need I say that you did it again. You are the savior of cinema and why we go there. For the end, I'll just leave this here:
"Do not go gentle into that good night, rage and rage against the dying of the light"
11/10

Interstellar was a fantastic film that has left me thinking about it and I will continue to think about this for a while. Going in I was wondering where it would rank among Nolan's best films, coming out of the movie, I didn't care. There was so much going on in Interstellar and it had so much going for it that the flaws don't matter. It was a perfect experience.

10/10

So here we are again.

Ever since walking out of the cinema in '08 it's been a blast, a milestone, and a high-point going to see a Nolan film at the cinema. It's a big moment. It's a feeling of excitement, joy, community. When the logo appears, the lights go off and everyone goes quiet... that's when you know you're where you belong. It's a feeling I know Chris himself loves and works so hard for.

First thing that hit me walking home was just how hard it is to judge Interstellar. I totally see why it has divided people. There's just so much things in this film. It's Nolan's most risky movie isn't it?

The visuals are timeless. Those are images that won't age a day. The scenes he pulls off in this one, I had to look at other people's reactions to see and they were all awe-struck, are just so incredible amazing. These are scenes that will inspire young people to get into filmmaking. It's so technically splendid and perfect that you just have to bite your tongue. Technically, surely, these images in this film will be remembered as "2001", "Blade Runner" and "Alien" are remembered and that is not a hyperbole.

Story-wise. Now that's where we get to the big divide. A lot of science talk going around during these 169 min. It's really hard to know how to judge it all. When dealing with wormholes and such, I suppose it's hard to make something logical out of it and won't have some people shrugging. My first thoughts are that this is Nolan's weakest script together with "Rises". You know, as trippy as it got during the end, my first thoughts are that it doesn't hold and that it lingers sometimes too much on emotions and far-fetched hooks. The end scenes and twists, I felt, did not perhaps work.

Some of the first scenes too felt a bit off and lingered on old classic tropes and emotions. Nolan's use of Zimmer's music during the beginning chase is in my opinion one example of his way of overusing his music. All-in all, it feels like this had both some of the lowest points and highest point of Nolan's filmography. Sometimes it felt like I was going to cringe but then in the next scene he awed me again.

Acting was solid as always. Mcconaughey though gave to me a surprisingly good performance. Not because I doubt him, but because I expected a solid performance like DiCaprio in Inception. But he was really more than that. I thought he carried the movie in a different way than Leo did. He was amazing. Young Murph was also very good. And the cameo in the middle of movie was incredible fun. For some reason I went in expecting him to play the voice of TARS.

But really, I was swept away by the sheer force and energy and love for filmmaking behind the camera in this. I don't think Nolan's magic is behind the typewriter anymore. But the magic behind the camera is just f-cking amazing. The things he pulls off.... the docking scene had my heart pumping and just sent chills down my spine. It was an operatic and amazing moment that not many others can achieve in this day and age. Pure cinema. There's a lot of those moments in this. I understand why people don't buy this movie, it will be interesting to see how it holds up on other viewings, but after this first viewing in cinema, I just have to applaud this team who gave everything they had for this movie.

8/10

Interstellar is Christopher Nolan's most ambitious achievement.
Christopher Nolan's highly anticipated sci-fi film Interstellar is definitely the most ambitious one the director has ever undertaken in terms of plot and vision. It's a film that will definitely transcend time and space and within the following decades will be dissected and analyzed as much as few other great films.

The performances are all top notch and even though it's hard to distinguish any of the actors, it's safe to say that Matthew McConaughey delivers a powerhouse performance (his best) and carries the film until the very end. He is Nolan's best lead so far for me. Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, Michael Caine, Matt Damon, Mackenzie Foy, Casey Affleck and Bill Irwin are only some of the actors who compile this tremendously talented ensemble cast. Especially Damon and Irwin are two very exciting surprises. Even Ellen Burstyn has a small but extremelly effective part.

Plot-wise, even though Interstellar is as ambitious as people expect it to be, several moments feel a little rushed due to either the screenplay or the editing. But, because there's no such thing as a perfect film, Interstellar manages to maintain its ambition on the highest possible level and any minor flaws are easily forgettable. Nolan balances several adventurous sequences (inside the wormhole, around the black hole, on the potentially habitable planets, the docking sequence) with plenty emotional and intimate scenes.

On the technical side, Interstellar is a masterful achievement. Hans Zimmer's organ based score is one of his best and it accompanies the characters from their most intimate to their most engrossing moments. Hoyte van Hoytema who replaced Wally Pfister as Nolan's director of photography creates one of the most visually stunning experiences in the history of cinema. The visual and sound effects and the editing are bound to be recognized.

I can't say if Interstellar is Nolan's best film but it definitely is his most ambitious by far. Except from being his most ambitious film ever, Interstellar is also his most divisive. The decisions he makes in the infamous third act may alienate some people but for me this part is the best and most audacious of the whole film and the way Nolan directs it and delivers it, makes it feel so heartbreaking and awe-inspiring at the same time.

Interstellar is a heavenly made science fiction film and certainly one of the greatest cinematic achievements of all time. Part of this film's greatness lies on the fact that it desperately needs to be watched at least twice. First for the questions and then for the answers. Go watch it on the biggest screen possible. 10/10
Last edited by Panapaok on November 8th, 2014, 6:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.

The rules:
1. I didn't include a mixed category because it would be too complicated. 0 - 5 is negative, 6 - 10 is positive
2. In order to be included, you have to have made at least 100 posts.
3. In order to be included in the "top critics" category, you have to have made at least 1000 posts.
4. If you didn't include a score, you weren't included, but you can PM me or post a score and I'll include you.

All Critics
20 reviews counted
Average Rating: 9.5/10
NolanFans-O-Meter: 94%
(127) willyjoel: 8.5/10
(691) thegreypilgrim: 10/10
(398) Rom: 5/10
(372) 4NLegend: 10/10
(777) AsianVersionOfET: 10/10
(232) ek79: 9/10
(128) The Taxman: 10/10
(169) Angier: 8/10
(2169) Panapaok: 10/10
(9799) Durden: 10/10
Top Critics
12 reviews counted
Average Rating: 9.9/10
NolanFans-O-Meter: 100%
(2169) Panapaok: 10/10
(9799) Durden: 10/10
I still need scores from:
(139) Lord Shade - positive
(123) vesh - positive
(659) Sky007 - positive
(2207) ChrisNolan - positive
(197) Thaillest89 - positive
(441) Echovoid_52 - positive
(1329) Havoc1st - positive
(7696) Cop 223 - positive
Last edited by Numbers on November 8th, 2014, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.