Loading...
Christopher Nolan's science-fiction epic starring Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Michael Caine and Jessica Chastain.

'Interstellar' Reviews Discussion

Posts: 99
Location: boston
Vader182 wrote:
mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:
DrModern wrote:her point seemed pretty legitimate to me. different demos tend to have different perspectives. shocking, i know. don't know what you guys' panties are in a bunch about.

Not just demographics, but each individuals perception of a film is based partially on what they bring to the table. Their values, their prejudices, even the mood they're in. That's fine, that's how subjectivity works.

As far as I can see Alli's logic ends about there. Even assuming her gay conspiracy theory is true, what's her point? Is she saying a hetero males opinion of a film has some sort of inherent correctness that's being skewed by the sheer amount of gays and women?


and english majors, don't forget english majors they're all in on it together man

to combat anecdotal evidence with anecdotal evidence, half my friends are english majors including my ex I'm still close with, and they all liked or loved the movie



-Vader


hahaha, as the son of an english professor, i love the idea of a cabal of english majors somewhere making decisions about what they all have to believe. some of the dogmas that survive in the academy really need to die a fiery death (imo), but somehow nonsense like "the author is dead [so interpret things however you want and call it clever]" survives. maybe the overlords of mla could make cryptic proclamations at each equinox, sacrifice an ox or two.
Last edited by DrModern on November 27th, 2014, 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Posts: 99
Location: boston
mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:
DrModern wrote:her point seemed pretty legitimate to me. different demos tend to have different perspectives. shocking, i know. don't know what you guys' panties are in a bunch about.

Not just demographics, but each individuals perception of a film is based partially on what they bring to the table. Their values, their prejudices, even the mood they're in. That's fine, that's how subjectivity works.

As far as I can see Aili's logic ends there. Even assuming her gay conspiracy theory is true, what's her point? Is she saying a hetero males opinion of a film has some sort of inherent correctness that's being skewed by the sheer amount of gays and women?


wow, speaking of english majors.

i mean, i see your point, but i think proportionality has to be the watchword for determining when something isn't getting a fair shake? also, hate to break it to you, but some people's subjective responses are going to be more coherent, more interesting, more informed, more illuminating than others (at least when written down in the form of a review). this is why i do not want to read a 5th grader's review of the film, even if his actual subjective experience was identical to mine?

in the case of a nolan movie, i think it's pretty likely that the demo it's resonating with the most understands it the best. (i think women are more likely to understand the value of, say, the bachelor than i am).

i mean, think about the actual movies: tragic, tortured male heroes, every single one of the films. i identify with that in a way my girlfriend probably never will.

addendum for vader's benefit: and yes, by the way, gays really do like musicals (compared to their % of the general population, they make up a larger % of the audience for musicals). sorry? that seems like a fine thing to like (and besides the whole idea of "high art vs. low art" is incoherent--if you love musicals, awesome, go enjoy what's beautiful to you).
Posts: 5586
Now that was entertaining!

But hey. I'm female and I absolutely loved Interstellar. So that "theory" goes straight out the window lol.
Posts: 3522
Location: [insert non-spoilery location here, that wasn't a spoiler to begin with]
What in the holy mother of fuck is going on in this thread...?
Posts: 99
Location: boston
oh, nothing, just some amusing irony. some guys on the internet called a woman stupid because they interpreted her reasonable (and pro-nolan) argument super uncharitably. gotta flex those feminist muscles for the ladies, i guess?

it was then implicitly claimed that gay men are not more likely to enjoy musicals for some reason.
Posts: 836
Vader182 wrote:
DrModern wrote:her point seemed pretty legitimate to me. different demos tend to have different perspectives. shocking, i know. don't know what you guys' panties are in a bunch about.


Because saying gay people, women, and english majors are innately against Interstellar is absolutely ridiculous, pretty offensive, sexist, homophobic, and worst of all, just stupid.


-Vader


I didn't say that. I said gay MEN (a lesbian in my class loves Interstellar and she's the person I most talk to about it) and straight women and English majors (who in my personal experience are mostly gay guys and straight females) are not crazy about SCIENCE FICTION and bring a lot of anti-science fiction baggage with them. They also aren't crazy about Batman, any superhero movies, Stephen King or football or Dylan Thomas. Michael Caine should have quoted Yeats to impress them. And what do you think is the educational background of most film critics? Mechanical engineering?? C'mon. They're all former English majors.
Posts: 836
DrModern wrote:oh, nothing, just some amusing irony. some guys on the internet called a woman stupid because they interpreted her reasonable (and pro-nolan) argument super uncharitably. gotta flex those feminist muscles for the ladies, i guess?

it was then implicitly claimed that gay men are not more likely to enjoy musicals for some reason.


LOL! I love it when straight guys claim to be more feminist than girls are!! The first time I saw Interstellar there were maybe a half a dozen other girls in the audience. The LAST time I saw it, it was full of women. So women can learn to like science fiction, just a lot of them have a priori prejudices against it (like a lot of reviewers have prejudices against it - my whole point). Like straight guys have prejudices against romcoms and musicals. I probably know more gay guys than straight guys and the ones I know don't like scifi but they do love musicals. Anecdotal, yes.

And on that note, Happy Thanksgiving to anybody who celebrates it!
yea cuz sci fi movies are never critically acclaimed
Posts: 863
lcbaseball22 wrote:I am shocked how many of the BFCA members gave Interstellar a score of 60 or less...

http://www.criticschoice.com/members/tbaehr/
http://www.criticschoice.com/members/sau/
http://www.criticschoice.com/members/jbayer/
http://www.criticschoice.com/members/jbell/
http://www.criticschoice.com/members/jbrowne/
http://www.criticschoice.com/members/cbudin/
http://www.criticschoice.com/members/ccampbell/
http://www.criticschoice.com/members/acampbell/ (30)
http://www.criticschoice.com/members/kcarr/
http://www.criticschoice.com/members/mdelarosa/
http://www.criticschoice.com/members/tenglish/
http://www.criticschoice.com/members/mfoizey/
http://www.criticschoice.com/members/dfreedman/
http://www.criticschoice.com/members/rjay/
http://www.criticschoice.com/members/TalkCineman/ (40)
http://www.criticschoice.com/members/kjohnson/ (20)
http://www.criticschoice.com/members/rjustavick/
http://www.criticschoice.com/members/zkit/ (20)
http://www.criticschoice.com/members/skernan/
http://www.criticschoice.com/members/ckoplinski/
http://www.criticschoice.com/members/fmastracci/ (20)
http://www.criticschoice.com/members/mmedved/
http://www.criticschoice.com/members/jmurphy/
http://www.criticschoice.com/members/rmurray/ (40)
http://www.criticschoice.com/members/mpaurich/
http://www.criticschoice.com/members/sperlraver/
http://www.criticschoice.com/members/mreardon/
http://www.criticschoice.com/members/ksimanton/
http://www.criticschoice.com/members/msmith/
http://www.criticschoice.com/members/astanford/
http://www.criticschoice.com/members/hstratford/
http://www.criticschoice.com/members/rtennis/

It's amazing that despite all these low scores the film still comes in with an 80/100 average! :thumbup:

http://www.criticschoice.com/search?s=interstellar

Honestly, man... you have way too much free time on your hands.
Posts: 7738
Location: Boston, Taxachusetts.
Has anybody read this guys review? Is one of the most trolish reviews I've ever read, and has maybe the worst complaint about a movie I've ever read over the Internet and that's saying something...

http://www.christopher-priest.co.uk/journal/2498/the-stars-my-mutteration/

...Space is a vacuum - it is incapabble of carrying sound. How Hanz Zimmers loud music can be heard in space is a mystery only Nolan can explain...
← Previous page Next page →
← Return to Interstellar
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests.