'Interstellar' Reviews Discussion

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
leo
24fix wrote:You're right. I'm French and we suck at English. I'm a true cinema lover so I try to watch movies in their original langage but in France, about 90% of movies are shown in dubbed version. You need to live in big cities to find a theatre with original version.

I'm living in the south of France and I had to see Interstellar in Marseille in french version because I couldn't wait ! I'm ashamed but I had no choice. I hope there will be a theatre not too far away from my home which project the film in Original version when it's out to fix that.
You should have done like me, I live near Toulon and I went as far as Montpellier to see it in original version ;)

Aili wrote:In Europe I've usually seen that you can usually pick between dubbed and English language versions with subtitles. Kid films though tend to be dubbed (cause the kids can't read the subtitles).
Not all Europe.

Outside of kid films (which usually have the option to chose , although the dub version tends to be the preferred) we never have dubbed films.

I'll take english subtitled foreign films over english dubbed foreign films, anyday. But i'll make an exception for The Raid 2; the english dubbing for that film was really well done.

leo wrote:
24fix wrote:You're right. I'm French and we suck at English. I'm a true cinema lover so I try to watch movies in their original langage but in France, about 90% of movies are shown in dubbed version. You need to live in big cities to find a theatre with original version.

I'm living in the south of France and I had to see Interstellar in Marseille in french version because I couldn't wait ! I'm ashamed but I had no choice. I hope there will be a theatre not too far away from my home which project the film in Original version when it's out to fix that.
You should have done like me, I live near Toulon and I went as far as Montpellier to see it in original version ;)
I live near Toulon too ! (Sanary)
I did "worse" for TDKR. I went to Toulouse by train to watch it in IMAX VOST the day before it was released. Didn't have a lot of time this time so I found it very convenient to just go to Marseille, expecially that I knew that this theatre had very good sound and projector (Salle Pathé +). But yes, very frustrating in some big scenes with performances.

Can anyone tell yet if Roeper liked Interstellar?

I'm one of those people who gets put off by subtitles I'm a little ashamed to admit. That said Apocalypto is one of my favs and the subs don't other me much. Also more recently I've seen Breathless and Persona with subtitles and was good. I especilly enjoyed Breathless. Sometimes though I am tired and I just wana put something on and pay some but not 100% attention, and subtitles are no good for that. A bigger screen really helps with them. They suck on the tv I have in m room, however my downstairs one which I can hardly ever use but get on accasion is bigger.

Dubbing can be humorous sometimes lol I like it as a sort of so bad it's good kind of thing. I don't think I've ever seen what could be called a "great dub" but if they exist than I gotta find me some next time I go to watch a foriegn film.

dsus4gtr wrote:Can anyone tell yet if Roeper liked Interstellar?
I'm sure he's seen it. He posted a picture on Instagram of the EW (?) cover with McC, Chastain, and Anne with a caption, "You've got to see this." I don't know if he was talking about the movie or the article.

I'm wondering if the holdout from some of these bigger publications is to get more page views by releasing the review during the week of the film's release.

leo
24fix wrote:
leo wrote:

I live near Toulon too ! (Sanary)
I did "worse" for TDKR. I went to Toulouse by train to watch it in IMAX VOST the day before it was released. Didn't have a lot of time this time so I found it very convenient to just go to Marseille, expecially that I knew that this theatre had very good sound and projector (Salle Pathé +). But yes, very frustrating in some big scenes with performances.
Can't believe it man I live in fuckin' Sanary too! Haha what a small world, next thing I know you're my next door neighbor!

Vesh wrote:
dsus4gtr wrote:Can anyone tell yet if Roeper liked Interstellar?
I'm sure he's seen it. He posted a picture on Instagram of the EW (?) cover with McC, Chastain, and Anne with a caption, "You've got to see this." I don't know if he was talking about the movie or the article.

I'm wondering if the holdout from some of these bigger publications is to get more page views by releasing the review during the week of the film's release.
He doesn't work for Entertainment Weekly, so I would think he meant people need to see the movie itself. That doesn't mean he loved the movie though. Even a lot of the mixed/negative reviews are saying that everyone should see it on the big screen if they can.

Havoc1st wrote:I'll take english subtitled foreign films over english dubbed foreign films, anyday. But i'll make an exception for The Raid 2; the english dubbing for that film was really well done.
nah dubbing is never as good as the original.