'Interstellar' Reviews Discussion

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
This is the most insane babbling I've ever read on this website. That's a high bar to cross, congratulations.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:This is the most insane babbling I've ever read on this website. That's a high bar to cross, congratulations.

-Vader
You're welcome! It is particularly thrilling to get such a compliment when it comes from the fingertips of a world-class insane babbler such as yourself! I've swollen up with pride like a foot that's been stung by a Man o' War jellyfish.

Aili wrote:OK, maybe not "most" (or maybe yes) but A LOT. I read a lot of these reviewers regularly and they love to talk about being gay. Alfonso Duarte of The Wrap (who trashed Int) is gay. So is David Denby of New Yorker. OK the women are obvious. The guy at EW who trashed Int (but gave it a mysteriously passable score, I guess the editor said 'come on') is gay.

Let's face it, most movie critics were English majors. There's not a lot of work for English majors. I know I'm an English major. And I don't know ANY straight guys who are English majors (well, maybe this one guy). We're all girls and gay guys. And most of the English majors I know don't like Interstellar and can't imagine why I don't just looooove Gone Girl and am not looking forward to Into the Woods and didn't think Birdman was wonderful.

Not sure where all this is coming from, really.

Aili wrote:
Vader182 wrote:This is the most insane babbling I've ever read on this website. That's a high bar to cross, congratulations.

-Vader
You're welcome! It is particularly thrilling to get such a compliment when it comes from the fingertips of a world-class insane babbler such as yourself! I've swollen up with pride like a foot that's been stung by a Man o' War jellyfish.
Just...stop.Please don't embarrass yourself any more. You've embarrassed yourself three times. Don't make it a fourth time, please.

her point seemed pretty legitimate to me. different demos tend to have different perspectives. shocking, i know. don't know what you guys' panties are in a bunch about.

DrModern wrote:her point seemed pretty legitimate to me. different demos tend to have different perspectives. shocking, i know. don't know what you guys' panties are in a bunch about.
Because saying gay people, women, and english majors are innately against Interstellar is absolutely ridiculous, pretty offensive, sexist, homophobic, and worst of all, just stupid.

-Vader

DrModern wrote:her point seemed pretty legitimate to me. different demos tend to have different perspectives. shocking, i know. don't know what you guys' panties are in a bunch about.
Not just demographics, but each individuals perception of a film is based partially on what they bring to the table. Their values, their prejudices, even the mood they're in. That's fine, that's how subjectivity works.

As far as I can see Aili's logic ends there. Even assuming her gay conspiracy theory is true, what's her point? Is she saying a hetero males opinion of a film has some sort of inherent correctness that's being skewed by the sheer amount of gays and women?
Last edited by Disney+'s solo2001 on November 27th, 2014, 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:
Not just demographics, but each individuals perception of a film is based partially on what they bring to the table. Their values, their prejudices, even the mood they're in. That's fine, that's how subjectivity works.

As far as I can see Alli's logic ends about there. Even assuming her gay conspiracy theory is true, what's her point? Is she saying a hetero males opinion of a film has some sort of inherent correctness that's being skewed by the sheer amount of gays and women?
and english majors, don't forget english majors they're all in on it together man
to combat anecdotal evidence with anecdotal evidence, half my friends are english majors including my ex I'm still close with, and they all liked or loved the movie

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
Because saying gay people, women, and english majors are innately against Interstellar is absolutely ridiculous, pretty offensive, sexist, homophobic, and worst of all, just stupid.

-Vader
i hear you, but i didn't think that was her argument? i think she was saying something like "certain demos tend to be drawn to nolan, interstellar is nolan, therefore those demos are more likely to have enjoyed it?" so, if demos who aren't into sci fi make a disproportionate percentage of the critical press, doesn't that imply interstellar will be more likely to receive a response that's unfairly ("unfairly") negative?

not that there aren't gays, women, english majors (as a writer without a degree in english, this one is lol for me) or w/e who are fans of the film and nolan more generally. just that these demos will tend to skew away from it? like, if you go to a magic: the gathering tournament, are you shocked that there are lots of straight white males there? if you asked a bunch of hot girls and gay guys to review a magic: the gathering tournament would it get a fair review?

DrModern wrote: i hear you, but i didn't think that was her argument? i think she was saying something like "certain demos tend to be drawn to nolan, interstellar is nolan, therefore those demos are more likely to have enjoyed it?" so, if demos who aren't into sci fi make a disproportionate percentage of the critical press, doesn't that imply interstellar will be more likely to receive a response that's unfairly ("unfairly") negative?

not that there aren't gays, women, english majors (as a writer without a degree in english, this one is lol for me) or w/e who are fans of the film and nolan more generally. just that these demos will tend to skew away from it? like, if you go to a magic: the gathering tournament, are you shocked that there are lots of straight white males there? if you asked a bunch of hot girls and gay guys to review a magic: the gathering tournament would it get a fair review?
It goes without saying different things skew to different demographics, but reducing entire categories of people to one thing shows an incredibly close minded, not to mention simply incorrect, perspective of how people truly are. It doesn't help she made comments about how them gays just want Into the Woods since, of course, gay people love musicals. I'm about as far from a social justice warrior as it gets, and folks around here know that. I'm not the PC police, and tend to think people overreact to most instances. But this? This is just...bizzarely stupid. It's also hilarious, but for the wrong reasons.

-Vader