'Interstellar' Reviews Discussion

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
I'm seeing it tomorrow. So excited. Was wondering though, if this movie is going to be so well received by general audiences then why is the IMDB rating down from 9.5 a couple days ago to 9,3 today with only 9000 voters? I know IMDB ratings are sometimes broken, Shawshank Redemption is not that good but I think they got it right for the previous Nolan's movies.

Holy cow. Grace Randolph called it the best space movie she's ever seen! She's so critical over the little things, so I'm very surprised at this.

Bacon wrote:Holy cow. Grace Randolph called it the best space movie she's ever seen! She's so critical over the little things, so I'm very surprised at this.
Wow, that's quite a feat! When are you seeing it?

m4st4 wrote:
Bacon wrote:Holy cow. Grace Randolph called it the best space movie she's ever seen! She's so critical over the little things, so I'm very surprised at this.
Wow, that's quite a feat! When are you seeing it?
Friday night Digital IMAX.

Vader182 wrote:
ChristNolan wrote:
Vader182 wrote:
Cooper took less time to decide he was leaving his entire family than it takes me choose between brands of chocolate milk.

-Vader
I don't think he had much of a decision to make. Caine's character made it pretty clear to him.
Leaving your children is an emotional decision, not a logical one. It's a believable choice, but it's emotionally and dramatically wobbly to spend so little time on it.

-Vader
These spoiler tags are killing me! My heart wants me to open them but brain and willpower are helping me resist...

Will the Rolling Stone review finally be released today? :? So basically what I've noticed with the "Top Critcs" and Metacritic is 3 groups of critics

Masterpiece, Almost Masterpiece, and Ambitious but Very Flawed/Ridiculous/Silly/ETC

It's not often that you see this kind of spread where a film that receives 5+ 100 point reviews in addition to a number of high 80's and 90's has an equal number of 50's and 60's :wtf:

Ann Hornday and Peter Howell are the latest to fall into the latter camp both with only 2 Star reviews...

Still, 70 to 80% approved with more than a few calling it a masterpiece is pretty darn awesome :gonf:
Last edited by lcbaseball22 on November 5th, 2014, 11:51 am, edited 5 times in total.

Kermode's mentioned on Twitter he's been editing his text review, but no indication of how much he enjoyed it.

I LOVED it. It's not my favorite Nolan film, but it feels like a worthy successor to 2001. Not sure what to make of the ending, and I want to discuss the final shot, monologue, and its meaning for those who have seen the film.
It was so hard to hear, even in an IMAX theatre cause of Zimmer's amazing score at the end, what Murph was telling Cooper at the end. I think that she wsa saying that she has children of her own now, and he needs to go be with Brand? So then we cut to Brand, and she's on some planet (not sure which one) and then we see what looks like a colony of people with buildings?? IDK, it all happened so fast, anyone have a clue?

My spoiler-free review:

I saw Interstellar in IMAX 70mm last night and here are my thoughts.

It was definitely Nolan's most ambitious and brave movie yet. Even if there are a lot of "Nolan" attributes to the movie, it didn't really feel like a Nolan film, which isn't a bad thing. The acting is probably my favourite part of the movie, surprisingly. Matthew McConaughey and Mackenzie Foy were absolutely magnificent and worthy of Oscar nominations. Caine, Chastain, Hathaway, Gyasi, and a certain other actor/actress were also spectacular. The soundtrack is by far the most unique I've ever heard from Zimmer, and was perfect for this movie. It sent chills down my spine during the very tense-filled scenes. The visuals, of course, are nothing short of masterful. The CGI was seamless. Some of the scenes looked as if it was footage taken from NASA earth orbit videos, that's just how incredible and realistic it looked.

Now the film definitely has issues. Some of the pacing and editing of this movie wasn't perfect. The first hour is somewhat slow, but greatly helps establish the characters and the family, so I really enjoyed that. There's a part of the movie that takes an odd turn which kind of ruined the pacing of the movie, but it picked up in the last 40 minutes or so. Sometimes the movie feels too convenient as the story progresses. Now a lot of people complain about the whole "Love" thing with Hathaway's character. I was fine with it. They didn't shove it down our throats. Now the last 30 minutes of the movie is where viewers will be divided. In my opinion, I thought it was a very unique "move" by Nolan and I don't think he was trying to reach too far. It was executed very well. I certainly don't understand all of it, which is why I'll be rewatching it on Thursday. (IMAX 35mm)

But wow, the movie was VERY emotional. I honestly had a lump in my throat during a certain scene involving McConaughey's character which perfectly depicts his acting skills. That man was just perfect for this movie. I can tell people in the theater were crying as well.

The movie is definitely inspired by 2001: A Space Odyssey, but I won't mention how (this is a spoiler-free review), except for the TARS robot which could be inspired by HAL. TARS was a surprisingly amazing character. He was hilarious and added a lot of comedy to an otherwise serious and emotional movie.

Overall, Interstellar is a movie that definitely needs to be viewed at least twice to fully understand it and critique it. I can't think of a rating to give at this moment, but if I was forced to, I'd say a 9.5 or a 10. My ranking for Nolan's films:

1. The Dark Knight - 10
2. Memento - 10
3. Inception - 9.5
4. The Prestige - 9
5. The Dark Knight Rises - 9
6. Batman Begins - 9
7. Insomnia - 8.5

I'm honestly not sure where to place Interstellar. After I view it again on Thursday I think I'll be able to place it somewhere. Right now, I think it stands between Memento and Inception. After multiple viewings it may even be above The Dark Knight. None of Nolan's films are perfect, but I think Interstellar has potential to be Nolan's masterpiece. He's done what 99% of directors can't do. It is his most ambitious and daring project yet, and it was executed very well. Is it a successor to Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey? Maybe. Who knows. Time will tell.

Stanley Kubrick would be proud.