'Interstellar' Reviews Discussion

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
VitaminQ wrote:(reminder: I already spotted the tidal forces thing)
Could you tell us more about any mistakes in the movie regarding tidal forces? My analysis is that the black hole is big enough for tidal forces not to be too much of an issue - although I agree that they might put the Endurance under some stress, but nothing a well-designed spacecraft could not handle.
Last edited by Juliui on November 6th, 2014, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DontEvenAsk wrote:I find it funny that certain critics are bashing the movie when a majority of audiences who have seen it are calling it masterpiece, mind-blowing, amazing, etc. etc. Some reviews just make no sense.

Here's one thing I've learned from watching movies my whole life. You don't have to AGREE or rather LIKE the ideas in the movie to be able to enjoy it to it's fullest extent. Sure we all have those "it would've been better if this happened ...." etc, but nothing is perfect. Within it's own context, Interstellar is an incredible f-ing movie and is one of the best movies I've seen in a long long time, if not the best.
My brother (who also has an engineering degree so he isn't exactly ignorant when it comes to science) saw it last night in 70 mm IMAX (incredibly jealous) and here's what he texted me last night about his general reaction to the film as someone who is not as much of a NolanFan as I...

"Wow, mindfuck...I really liked it though. I could see why people didn't like it though" :think:

I asked for a bit of clarification and without revealing spoilers he said "I could see people not liking some of it or making connections. There were parts I didn't like but they brought it back and I liked it overall"

Rom wrote:Ok here is my review. It is full of spoilers, I'm just gonna put it completely under spoiler tag, it is for those who have seen the movie.
First thing I want to mention is that IMAX is not worth it. I don't know, the screen is bigger, yes, but whatever actually. And the sound was too loud I even had that nasty feeling as if something hitting my chest. As for the movie. The beginning was actually not bad. Some dialogs sounded unrealistic, exactly like something that was written for the script, it didn't feel like actual normal people having some normal people's conversations like any normal people have. But overall not that bad. In fact, in the first part of the movie I found myself crying, then suddenly laughing for the joke, then crying again. It was really very emotional and touching, with some unexpected humor on top of it. But when I heard Anne's monolog about love... C'mon. It is just dumb, the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I was sitting in the chair and was thinking like meh? What the hell is this? Suddenly I started thinking it's going to be worse from now, and I was right. Then they were just flying around for like 2 hours, ok. Now, all extraterrestrial footage was shown in trailers! That's huge disappointment. I was expecting some bigger action with explanations of how reversed mountains are working, but no. Nothing. Now about science. They said it's going to be hard science movie. Are you kidding me? Like seriously? Let me tell you that, I'm not even going to mention wormholes are impossible, I'm gonna mention that defining time as another dimension is misconception. It is effective for creating formulas, but it is not dimension. People created time to determine how fast things change around us, in fact time does not exist. There is just universe and it changes, that's it. There is time dilation, but that's it. Travelling in time is misconception. But I'm okay with that in science fiction movie (like Back to the Future) but the level at which it was abused in this movie is just beyond. This movie is anti-scientific at the extreme level. What happened in black hole is just... I don't know what to say. It was completely retarded. Time as dimension, that ghost thing, c'mon I don't even want to comment on this, I have nothing to say. I was sitting and thinking like what the hell am I watching at? The ending is very simple, predictable, and not shocking or surprising or awakening any feeling in me. As for the soundtrack, it was very average, if not bad. It sounded very 2001, and even though I didn't like 2001 or soundtrack in it, the 2001's soundtrack was even better. Also, I don't understand, I haven't seen a scene with holding hands and rocket launching, and I haven't seen the scene with Cooper rubbing his hands sitting near Murph, did I miss it or was it cut? Overall, the plot was very simple and not even close to being complicated. It was very crumpled in some way, it wasn't developed. Characters wasn't developed. It was just very average. I was expecting Interstellar to be bad, I just knew it! Apparently it was even worse then I expected. I already forgot what I have seen. Definitely not waiting for the next Nolan project, probably just gonna see it like any average movie.

5/10 would not watch again
Is this a joke review? If not you must have been the douche next to me annoyingly expressing his disbelief/disappointment with every line he didn't like, with comments of "..what?" and literally shaking his head. It's no wonder you were alone :lol:
No but please, tell me you're joking. What a narrow-minded view of the film. My mind hurts more from all of your stupid comments than from the complexity of the movie itself. Time doesn't exist, but time dilation does? What in the actual fuck are you talking about? So something changes that doesn't exist... interesting.
Now, all extraterrestrial footage was shown in trailers! That's huge disappointment.
What?
I was expecting Interstellar to be bad, I just knew it! Apparently it was even worse then I expected.
Ah, so you went in wanting to hate it? Explains a lot. But really, you're trolling right? You have to be. Ok you got me.

Rom
Last edited by Rom on September 7th, 2017, 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Don't feed the troll people and if he's not a troll than his overuse of the word skethchiness should tell you much about his ability to intelligently analyze film. His opinion is valid, as all human opinions are (well other than bigots and other terrible people), but that doesn't mean you have to engage.

I will say,however, that time on a universal scale does not work how we humans perceive it. All of that ending stuff was metaphysical, yes, but it was still based in science . This is all hard sci-fi, whether you want to acknowledge that fact and do some actual research about actual scientific theory, is your problem.

Rom wrote:
Overall, again, characters development was very sketchy, characters were dying as unexpectedly fast as they appear, plot was sketchy as well, for instance (1) I wanted to see in depth how Romily lived his 23 years, and 3 hours was enough for things like that. Instead they just say okay 23 years passed. (2) Matt Damon's character was also extremely undeveloped, he just appeared and died. Another example of sketchiness and simplifying is how Cooper came back from black hole to the station. I understand that I can make some magical theories and all that, but I don't really want, for me that means that plot is weak and does not explain things. Just compare it with Inception, take your moment and compare. (3) And finally, how am I supposed to react to a space themed scientific movie when character falls in the black hole and then talks to his daughter in the past by moving books in her room while being ghost? (4) I thought LSD is illegal.
To the guy who hates Interstellar yet is still using an image from the film as his avatar:
(1) Seeing Romily at some point during that 23-year gap takes away from the shock Cooper and Amelia receive when they return and learn just how significant the time dilation has been to their mission. I would consider that obvious, but sure, let's show Romily walking around with a whiteboard trying to figure out more about the black hole. Or not.
(2) He doesn't just "show up and die." If we're sticking with the theory that (at least some of) the characters are representations/personifications of Human Nature, then Mann is the embodiment of human hubris. His fight with Cooper on the ice and his subsequent death were incredibly important to the conclusion of the film.
(3) You unfortunately fall into that category of people (several critics included, it seems) that simply don't understand that the entire plot comes full-circle with Cooper being the key to not only his own journey into space but also to Murph eventually solving the problem of gravity. Yes, subsequent viewings (which you apparently won't have, so it's lost on you) will, I believe, make his presence in the black hole/fifth dimension easier to understand, but for me it was immediately digestible on my first viewing. And I accepted it because it was, for the most part, the "fiction" contained in the "science fiction" of the film itself.
(4) LSD is illegal, but apparently you were on something much more powerful, some sort of brain-altering psychotropic hallucinogenic substance that keeps one from thinking. At all.

Hustler wrote:
Rom wrote:Ok here is my review. It is full of spoilers, I'm just gonna put it completely under spoiler tag, it is for those who have seen the movie.
First thing I want to mention is that IMAX is not worth it. I don't know, the screen is bigger, yes, but whatever actually. And the sound was too loud I even had that nasty feeling as if something hitting my chest. As for the movie. The beginning was actually not bad. Some dialogs sounded unrealistic, exactly like something that was written for the script, it didn't feel like actual normal people having some normal people's conversations like any normal people have. But overall not that bad. In fact, in the first part of the movie I found myself crying, then suddenly laughing for the joke, then crying again. It was really very emotional and touching, with some unexpected humor on top of it. But when I heard Anne's monolog about love... C'mon. It is just dumb, the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I was sitting in the chair and was thinking like meh? What the hell is this? Suddenly I started thinking it's going to be worse from now, and I was right. Then they were just flying around for like 2 hours, ok. Now, all extraterrestrial footage was shown in trailers! That's huge disappointment. I was expecting some bigger action with explanations of how reversed mountains are working, but no. Nothing. Now about science. They said it's going to be hard science movie. Are you kidding me? Like seriously? Let me tell you that, I'm not even going to mention wormholes are impossible, I'm gonna mention that defining time as another dimension is misconception. It is effective for creating formulas, but it is not dimension. People created time to determine how fast things change around us, in fact time does not exist. There is just universe and it changes, that's it. There is time dilation, but that's it. Travelling in time is misconception. But I'm okay with that in science fiction movie (like Back to the Future) but the level at which it was abused in this movie is just beyond. This movie is anti-scientific at the extreme level. What happened in black hole is just... I don't know what to say. It was completely retarded. Time as dimension, that ghost thing, c'mon I don't even want to comment on this, I have nothing to say. I was sitting and thinking like what the hell am I watching at? The ending is very simple, predictable, and not shocking or surprising or awakening any feeling in me. As for the soundtrack, it was very average, if not bad. It sounded very 2001, and even though I didn't like 2001 or soundtrack in it, the 2001's soundtrack was even better. Also, I don't understand, I haven't seen a scene with holding hands and rocket launching, and I haven't seen the scene with Cooper rubbing his hands sitting near Murph, did I miss it or was it cut? Overall, the plot was very simple and not even close to being complicated. It was very crumpled in some way, it wasn't developed. Characters wasn't developed. It was just very average. I was expecting Interstellar to be bad, I just knew it! Apparently it was even worse then I expected. I already forgot what I have seen. Definitely not waiting for the next Nolan project, probably just gonna see it like any average movie.

5/10 would not watch again
Is this a joke review? If not you must have been the douche next to me annoyingly expressing his disbelief/disappointment with every line he didn't like, with comments of "..what?" and literally shaking his head. It's no wonder you were alone :lol:
No but please, tell me you're joking. What a narrow-minded view of the film. My mind hurts more from all of your stupid comments than from the complexity of the movie itself. Time doesn't exist, but time dilation does? What in the actual fuck are you talking about? So something changes that doesn't exist... interesting.
Now, all extraterrestrial footage was shown in trailers! That's huge disappointment.
What?
I was expecting Interstellar to be bad, I just knew it! Apparently it was even worse then I expected.
Ah, so you went in wanting to hate it? Explains a lot. But really, you're trolling right? You have to be. Ok you got me.
Dont want to put someone down,but it is a retarded review dont read it...
Go see the movie,experience it is likely you wont be seeing a movie like this in a long time...DOnt look for flaws just let yourself go and feel...
Enjoy

I've watched it yesterday in digital IMAX. Wow. What a movie. My heart is so full and it still won't land to reality. Please, humanity, watch this movie immediately. I don't know how to use a spoiler tags so I can't tell you my favourite part without spoiling the movie. The ending part though is quite like TDKR's ending for me but much more meaningful and powerful. How can Nolan do this to us? I really do not know what to say. My God.

I'm surprised it is down to 71%. I think it is much better film then most critics are giving it.