'Interstellar' Reviews Discussion

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Granatto wrote:77% on RT right now
I still see 72%...

MC however is 77

For every reviewer that says, 'third act/first act is clunky', there's somebody else saying the opposite. This early, I see this contradiction among professional reviews as a great sign.

VitaminQ wrote:OK. Someone settle this for me. The reviews keep talking about traveling to "another galaxy". In a trailer Doyle says goodbye "to our galaxy."

Does the wormhole actually take them to another *galaxy*? Or are the critics (and screenwriters) getting sloppy with the geography of the Universe?

If they really do go to another *galaxy* then 1) Why is that necessary to the story? and 2) How would they know? (Think about it.)

The movie's title is "Interstellar", not "Intergalactic" for cripes' sake.
According to an earlier article on the film, yes, the wormhole does take them to another galaxy.
1. It's not necessary, but it does widen the scale of the movie for anyone who knows how distant even the nearest galaxy is to us.
2. If I had to guess, I'd say the first pictures of the wormhole by whichever probe is orbiting Saturn at the time (not Cassini as it is expected to die around 2017) are analyzed by astronomers and contain some clues as to where the wormhole's exit is located in the universe.

VitaminQ wrote:1) Why is that necessary to the story? and 2) How would they know? (Think about it.)
It is not necessary at all, maybe it is just that the wormhole leads here - after all they can't really choose where they go. You would know if you are in another Galaxy by "simply" looking at the stars that lies above you - or around you if you are still in the Endurance - you could compare the position of the stars as seen from Earth and as seen from your position after travelling through the wormhole and by using "simple" mathematics you could find that it's impossible for the stars to be arranged in the patterns you are currently seeing if you were still in the same Galaxy.

Juliui wrote:
VitaminQ wrote:1) Why is that necessary to the story? and 2) How would they know? (Think about it.)
It is not necessary at all, maybe it is just that the wormhole leads here - after all they can't really choose where they go. You would know if you are in another Galaxy by "simply" looking at the stars that lies above you - or around you if you are still in the Endurance - you could compare the position of the stars as seen from Earth and as seen from your position after travelling through the wormhole and by using "simple" mathematics you could find that it's impossible for the stars to be arranged in the patterns you are currently seeing if you were still in the same Galaxy.
Not true. There is no way we know the positions of every star in the Milky Way, much less what they would look like from any point. And we can't see almost half the Milky Way *at all*.

74% on RT now

CoRohr wrote:74% on RT now
It's improving..ot started on 50 %!

mosh89 wrote:
Exactly, I'd rather it start down and go up than it start up and go down

mosh89 wrote:
??

sorry, what is ot?